Air operated free spool

Weeds
Hard Yaka

Air operated free spool

Postby Weeds » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:43 pm

Hi Lads

Any one have any pics/advice on best way to build air operated free spool my winch is a runva 9500 Q I assume it would need some sort of cam ?

Thanks
Weeds

Big
Hard Yaka

Re: Air operated free spool

Postby Big » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:27 pm

get yaself a actuator air or electric then just make up a cam type arrangement to the lever or cut that off and weld on another to make it work.. plenty of info regarding this..just think outside the square and you'll be set.. for air though you'll need a pump, tank, air lines etc etc and time to make it work or somewhere to hook in a electric pump ( air locker type) and run lines etc.. can check my thread on it as I have a few pictures etc
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21029&start=150 near the bottom is the start I think :lol:

Weeds
Hard Yaka

Postby Weeds » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:46 pm

Hi Mate thanks good read will look down the air actuator road as I all ready have all the air set up. Have done a lot of reading on here some good stuff looking for few more ideas preferably proven ones

Mehrts
Hard Yaka

Postby Mehrts » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:47 pm

If you didn't already have an onboard air setup, then have a think about possibly using a 12 volt linear actuator (ram) instead of an air operated one.

I'm not sure where you'd find them around NZ, but there are plenty on Ebay, and some on Trademe that are quite inexpensive. I have no idea how they'd stand up to environmental conditions over time though.

These are what I'm on about.
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/12-volt-linear-actuator

Mehrts
Toyhatsu Bitsalux

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:57 pm

Mehrts wrote:If you didn't already have an onboard air setup, then have a think about possibly using a 12 volt linear actuator (ram) instead of an air operated one.

I'm not sure where you'd find them around NZ, but there are plenty on Ebay, and some on Trademe that are quite inexpensive. I have no idea how they'd stand up to environmental conditions over time though.

These are what I'm on about.
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/12-volt-linear-actuator

Mehrts

that's a bloody great idea..well done :wink: :lol:

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:27 pm

We use them in the Sawmilling industry for the carriage, gates and drop outs on the headrig and resaw, much faster then air or hydraulic.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

mudmike
Hard Yaka

Postby mudmike » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:05 pm

Think I saw a free spool set up on the runva winches converted by 2up, think it was part of the kit or an add on, be worth a call to them to see if they have an off the shelf free spool.

Weeds
Hard Yaka

Postby Weeds » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:58 am

Yep Runva was my first port of call spoke to a lady there they don't do any thing for remote free spool have found a rotational air valve and cylinder approx. $400 just waiting for a bit more info on size ect as don't have a lota room and see how mud friendly they are

kbushnz
Hard Yaka

Postby kbushnz » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:54 am

The good thing with air operated actuators If there is a jam up or the travel is shorter than the throw they don't burn out or strip gears when the motor stalls.... They just stop....And when everything lines up again they keep going.. Air spring !
Cheers Calvin
KZJ78 Landcruiser Prado...

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:00 am

kbushnz wrote:The good thing with air operated actuators If there is a jam up or the travel is shorter than the throw they don't burn out or strip gears when the motor stalls.... They just stop....And when everything lines up again they keep going.. Air spring !

Bingo. .well said :wink:

Team Tonka
Hard Yaka

Postby Team Tonka » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:49 pm

Other advantages with an air ram - if it craps out it is easy to manually over ride, and they don't seem to be to bothered by water and mud. The air spring thing is also useful as often the mechanics aren't in line when you activate it, but the air ram will happily sit there, half engaged, and hold pressure on until things start turning and it can lock in.

Another option is to use an auto trans selector cable. Cost effective and reliable but requires more effort to fit.
May the force be with you.

Clint
Hard Yaka

Postby Clint » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:52 am

Another option is to use a hydraulic clutch master & slave with a spring return. Have seen it done on a Toyota PTO, cheaper & simpler than air, but might take a bit of experimenting to get the spring & levers working just right for the electric winch. A mate just made a cool double acting hydraulic freespool actuator for his big PTO winch, works awesome but a fair bit of talent & a well equipped workshop required.

Cheers
Clint
UZJ71 Landcruiser
Jeep J20 - 1UZ-FE powered (part owner)
KTM 640

If it breaks, build it stronger.
If it doesn't break, drive it harder.

oldblue
Hard Yaka

Postby oldblue » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:14 pm

I used a small vacuum brake booster , needed to change the push rod seal so it could be used to pull in either direction ( pull in or pull out )
Set up with a shuttle valve mounted in the cab. :D
"Oldblue" Electric to Manual Hub Conversion's 03 5447586

Weeds
Hard Yaka

Postby Weeds » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:55 pm

Thanks for the help and ideas spoke to Craig from 2up and they do a electric free spool they change out the sliding ring gear and replace it with a rotating ring gear and machine lock pockets around it and a few other bits from what he was saying the problem with the runva winches sliding gear with remote free spool is sometimes partial engagement causing damage to the gear box and going back to free spool half way through a winch not idea ( funny as to watch some one else tho) all of this is cheaper then it is to get the parts to make the air operated they I was looking at. Will let you all know how it goes.

pruggerdore
Hard Yaka

Postby pruggerdore » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:29 pm

I think a few could be interested in this 2up mod, me for one . so perhaps you could look at organiseing a group buy.

WHO ELSE IS KEENSH ????????? relative to more info of course?

nismo26
Hard Yaka

Postby nismo26 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:16 pm

If they do something for a Superwinch Talon i'd be keen depending on cost.

mudsurfv6
Hard Yaka

Postby mudsurfv6 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:42 pm

what sorta $ we looking at?
1996 vzn185 surf, TRD supercharger, SAS, 35s, 4" lift, 2 lockers, ute chopped + more happening. Andrew 0272226292.

Weeds
Hard Yaka

Postby Weeds » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:45 pm

Looking at around the $450 mark plus postage of gear box to Auckland I would assume this is cheaper if you don't have to modify the ring gear ect. The free spool is 100% sealed and only has one moving part no exposed to the elements thay apparently have put a lot of these in service both private and comp trucks never had any issues this is based on info I have been given but I'm Sold let you know how it goes.

tuff lux
Hard Yaka

Postby tuff lux » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:18 pm

I've got this set up on my twin motor 2up ruva evo works a treat.. be a good test for it next week at the winch challenge :)

imsohi
Hard Yaka

Postby imsohi » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:57 am

Craig is a good bugger to and seen them use and abuse their 2 up gear. would recommend his products to anyone

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:36 am

nismo26 wrote:If they do something for a Superwinch Talon i'd be keen depending on cost.

Don't specifically know about the Talon, but other superwinch's use a rotating ring gear from factory (like what 2up is building for runva) so all that is needed to engage/disengage the freespool is to lift a pin (the twisting motion on the factory freespool is simply to hold the pin up). So all you need is to devise something to push or pull a pin, ie a normal pneumatic actuator.

Hope that helps.
Supercharged VH45 Surf safari winch truck in the making
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33527&hilit=checker%2A

pruggerdore
Hard Yaka

Postby pruggerdore » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:04 pm

Is there a website I can go look at. googled didnt find much. found something about a dual motor adapter for the 9500q. since I have a spare motor ...

Ralfie
Hard Yaka

Postby Ralfie » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:39 pm

pruggerdore wrote:Is there a website I can go look at. googled didnt find much. found something about a dual motor adapter for the 9500q. since I have a spare motor ...

for the 2up winch adapters
http://www.2upwinchadaptors.co.nz/index/

Weeds
Hard Yaka

Postby Weeds » Sun May 10, 2015 7:17 pm

Hi all
Got me gear box with free spool attached back couple of weeks back went out on Saturday for play gave it a few good tests worked perfect every time verry happy Craig from 2up was grate to deal with highly recommend too easy.

ClassicCruiserSpares
Sausage Shack

Postby ClassicCruiserSpares » Sun May 10, 2015 8:25 pm

Ive got an electric free spool on my electric winch in my 100 series, I bought the parts for $300 and took 5 mins to install, Awesome mod and works real good.
Toyota Landcruiser FJ40, front and rear lockers, 35" simex.
Toyota FJ45 build in progress.
Tires are like boobs, they always look big until you have played with them for a while, then you just want a bigger set.

charlies paj
Driver/Navigator

Postby charlies paj » Mon May 11, 2015 5:53 pm

anyone no where i can get The Goodwinch TDS Air Operated Freespool ?, thanks

Ashohman
Hard Yaka

Postby Ashohman » Sat May 16, 2015 6:29 pm

My runva 9500q air free spool setup.
Attachments
P_20150516_175636.jpg

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:16 pm

Ashoman, how has this been working for you?

Could you rotate the actuator so it doesn't stick out?

Ashohman
Hard Yaka

Postby Ashohman » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:13 pm

Its been a work in progress but havnt actually used it had it made up for a while then i put it on my winch. Not my winch in photo. But then i needed my oba setup which agian took its time so it operates but ive decided to redo my winch tube as mines rear mounted. So winch doesnt have any rope on it atm. Operates well with air system setup. You can rotate it however it would require a differnt bracket there is a post of a few more pics of how ive set it all up.

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:45 am

Thanks for the reply

Return to “Tool Shed”