Best Battery Tool Brand

mercutio
Hard Yaka

Best Battery Tool Brand

Postby mercutio » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:57 pm

So my battery drilled exploded today and i am wondering what your guys views are on a good handyman brand
my 4wd is not a truck

old mercedes never die but sometimes they do need some love

older cars are good,mercedes are better,older mercedes are the best

churchill
Hard Yaka

Re: Best Battery Tool Brand

Postby churchill » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:13 pm

Dunno about brand but get Li-ion batteries, higher capacity, lower self discharge and no memory issues. Just don't let them go dead flat or it'll screw them.

Im a Tumor
Bush Crasher

Postby Im a Tumor » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:20 pm

I use the Bosch 18v Pro series drill and impact driver and its fantastic.
4Ah batteries and heaps of torque is a winner. And the impact driver has 180NM of torque and a 1/2" driver

johnny262
Hard Yaka

Postby johnny262 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:40 pm

My workmates got an 18v AEG drill an its a beast of a thing, apparently one of the remaining few that use an all steel gearset?

Swamped
Hard Yaka

Postby Swamped » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:53 pm

I have the hitachi equivalent - 18v cordless pro set. 5.0ah li-ion batteries. 1/2 in impact wrench is 255nm. Drill is good but would have liked the hammer model which didn't come in a set at the time. Broken a couple chuck bolts running 20mm+ auger bits when rushing.
Batteries last forever and my wrench will run maybe 60% of a day running in 10mm cap screws. Only sometimes have to change out batteries once in a day but it often will go the whole time.
Went brushed as brushless in the past haven't liked being knocked about...this might have changed. I fitted stop brushes out of the box.
Makita - bosch - hitachi are all good. Bosch warranty I found difficult in the past so have stuck with the other two. Considering a festool drill as a replacement next time as I've heard good things and the dealers shop is now attached to our building.
If your budget doesn't extend to the big brands AEG is also good and their warranty is now excellent. One I had the outer skin started to fall apart and the trigger vari speed shat itself but that was after a couple years. It still goes but is just a backup or if I cbf swapping between two bits constantly :lol:

Buy the best you can afford.
Only Rich people can afford shitty tools :D

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:06 pm

I'm no tradie but I bought an AEG set (1/4 hex impact driver, 125mm Angle grinder and a drill).
All brushless and came with a couple of 4ah li-ion batteries. I'm pretty happy with it. Guy on here (Team Tonka) used to repair power tools for a job, and he didn't have anything bad to say about AEG.
Supercharged VH45 Surf safari winch truck in the making
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33527&hilit=checker%2A

keithal
Hard Yaka

Postby keithal » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:10 pm

I run milwaukee gear at work and haven't had any issues apart from operator error
Not cheap if your only looking for round the home
AEG are not bad tools for the price
And definitely go for lithium batteries

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:01 pm

Makita mate hands down.. have had and used for over 30 years.. :shock: and now have the 18v drill and driver.. awesome.. just need the impact 1/2" skin and im set :mrgreen: but Bosch is a good brand.. I wouldn't touch milwalki shit as it's not that flash .. loads of failures etc.. I would be Makita hitachi bosch as number 1 then Ryobi etc 2.. basically anything made in JAPAN is a winner or Europe( German etc)

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:11 pm

I'll put another vote in for the hitachi 18v, the drill is good enough to turn me around if I'm not paying attention, have had Bosch blue in past similar performance but not as good a battery life
Have used a few of the bunings brand tools with work lol and they are bad enough I have taken my tools to work! a bit funny to hear the staff at work commenting "be carefull with that it'll rip your hand off..." that had a bit to do with them, on high speed with a 110mm hole saw in fiber reinforced plastic, the saw melts and grabs lol

nismo26
Hard Yaka

Postby nismo26 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:05 pm

AEG is pretty good value for home owned by the same company that own Milwaukee and Ryobi.

I got most of my Milwaukee skins off ebay.

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:59 pm

Milwaukee are not what they used to be since the company was sold.
I did a heap of research and ended up with a metabo, wasn't cheap mind you. My criteria were it had to reliably drill 20mm post holes for gate gudgeons and have a quick charge.
Electronic clutch is cool and it's impossible to rip it out of your hands as it cuts the power when it snags.
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

klompy
Hard Yaka

Postby klompy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:04 pm

AEG kits are way cheaper on Trade me than they are at Bunnings.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:06 pm

I brought one of those Ryobi 1 cordless drill,s 18 volt lithium ion, little farker got heaps of torque, use it to do up wheel nuts on the truck etc, half the price of the makita and came with two batteries.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

mercutio
Hard Yaka

Postby mercutio » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:08 pm

i think i will have a chat to some of the reps at work see if i can get a deal
my 4wd is not a truck

old mercedes never die but sometimes they do need some love

older cars are good,mercedes are better,older mercedes are the best

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:16 pm

Crash bandicoot wrote:I brought one of those Ryobi 1 cordless drill,s 18 volt lithium ion, little farker got heaps of torque, use it to do up wheel nuts on the truck etc, half the price of the makita and came with two batteries.

I would be getting something like that for casual stuff like wheel nuts etc.. great value I think

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Postby J_Dub » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:43 pm

Definalety can't look past the ryobi li ion 18v range for home use, even good for industrial use.
But for the price you pay you can buy a full kit with extra batteries for what you might only get 2 tools if it were makita...

I'm a makita man but unless your using your tools all day every day, the ryobi range is best bang for buck

Pedro
Hard Yaka

Postby Pedro » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:54 pm

Be careful with li ion batteries, drop them and be aware, when charging do not leave them unattended, and sure as hell turn them off if leaving the room, sounds dramatic, well Peter Jacksons minitures studio burnt down due to a li ion battery exploding, the guy put the battery on charge, went to the front of the building and when he came back 5 mins later the place was burning, ironically the brand was fire storm, a cheaper battery but still a li ion.

pedro

Team Tonka
Hard Yaka

Postby Team Tonka » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:26 am

If you are not in a hurry, get a charger here and then buy Makita off ebay. Be half price. You'll get more up to date gear too as nz is a good market for them to overcharge for dated kit. Lithium iron batteries are good but you have to look after them. Makita ones have an ecu that monitors the battery cells and will 'register an error' if overheated or otherwise stressed. Once the number of errors recorded hits a set level they just turn off and show as faulty on the charger. Good safety thing though. Charging them in the sun is a big no no. Keep the contacts clean too.
May the force be with you.

diogenese
Hard Yaka

Postby diogenese » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:44 am

I have quite a few Hitachi 18v li-ion and I've been having batteries die. You only get a 12 month warranty on them. I have been moving over to milwaukee as their warranty is much better. Their fuel range are very powerful and much smaller than brush motors. I can't compare with other brands though.
I mostly use their 1/2" impact gun and 125mm grinder. Awesome Tools that I couldn't be without now.

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:00 am

The toughest battery hammer drill I've had is definitely Makita. Had DeWalt, Milwaukee, Ryobi and they didn't survive my abuse :-) All had to be repaired annually, chucks or clutches seem to be the problem areas.

I bought an NZ new drill and as that came with two batteries, bought a grey import impact gun (1/3 price of retail).

Cheers,

Bill
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:31 am

Any one remember these bad boys.

24 volt heavy duty impact drill. We use em for auger,s concrete etc. Was f`n expensive at the time but still going strong.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

darinz
Hard Yaka

Postby darinz » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:02 pm

I've been a Makita guy forever but my battery drill just died (battery, after 10 years). Not in the trade anymore so looked at what guys I know (in the trade) have been using.
The result was pretty clear and that is AEG. At half the price of Makita you get a very similar drill (and 1/4 driver) with 3 years battery warranty and 6 year tool. Compare the warranty to anything else and that alone is worth a bit.
Love my Makita gear but to be frank I just don't think it's worth the price premium anymore.
Nissan Terrano coilovers, turboed VH45, Safari axles, and some other stuff.

catalystracing
Hard Yaka

Postby catalystracing » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:29 pm

All the good brands have mentioned, but I have just recently bought some Hilti gear, worth a look if you have the time.
I have bosch, ryobi and makita. The Hilti gear feels better in the hand and doesnt hold back for power, its my new favorite.

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:04 pm

catalystracing wrote:All the good brands have mentioned, but I have just recently bought some Hilti gear, worth a look if you have the time.
I have bosch, ryobi and makita. The Hilti gear feels better in the hand and doesnt hold back for power, its my new favorite.

Hilti is Bosch but just rebranded :wink:

catalystracing
Hard Yaka

Postby catalystracing » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:43 pm

Big wrote:
catalystracing wrote:All the good brands have mentioned, but I have just recently bought some Hilti gear, worth a look if you have the time.

Hilti is Bosch but just rebranded :wink:

Wow, thats cool to know. Cheers. Still my favorite :lol:

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:32 pm

What are people using for wheel nuts and other general use?

snotgoblin
Hard Yaka

Postby snotgoblin » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:50 pm

The fire at that studio, and other places.. Most likely caused by a Li-Po (Lithium Polymer) battery pack. I would think anyhow.

These little things are crazy powerful for their size but can go a bit nuts when things go wrong.

Li-Po batteries are commonly found in R/C models and toys...

As for battery tools, I still have a Bosch cordless drill (12v) that I bought back in 1999. Takes a beating. Have recently bought drill and impact driver combo pack by Ryobi, uses the OnePlus battery system. They are well made and reliable bits of kit..

Swamped
Hard Yaka

Postby Swamped » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:34 pm

I currently use this for wheel nuts or pretty much anything. Hasn't run into anything too hard working on tractors. Big wheel nuts it struggles and you can feel the skin flex a bit.

Have also used this and it was mean....trade a lot of speed for increased power but spins truck wheel nuts pretty easy and def feels a lot more robust. Overkill for what I do though.

Return to “Tool Shed”