Hilux decking

braydenh28
Bush Crasher

Hilux decking

Postby braydenh28 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:20 pm

Hay what sort of timber would you guys reccomend using for a deck? I am planing on replacing my exausting deck as it rotten and holes init. Want a timber that will look tidy and be strong enough to take sledge hammer and that getting chuck into it? Cheers

ChurchurDan
Hard Yaka

Re: Hilux decking

Postby ChurchurDan » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:00 pm

treated ply.

tweake
Hard Yaka

Postby tweake » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:15 pm

ply is fairly good. easy enough to replace when it fails.
lifespan, depending on if water sit in it a lot, one of our utes started rotting out the deck at about 8 years.

mine has hardwood decking. 10 years and no sign of rot. the plywood sides are starting to rot tho and the head board is almost rotted out tho thats due to poor design (having end sitting on the deck where water pools)
however the hardwood has curled up a bit, so loads tend to sit on the high points and slide around more.

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Postby J_Dub » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:16 pm

Definitely a hard wood decking or signage ply.
Its treated with a composite layer on the outside, its hard as fcuk, realy hard wearing and water proof.

Or put a layer of fiberglass over ply, done right it looks smart, hard wearing, clean and you can apply any color to it to match ya vehicle or what ever you please

braydenh28
Bush Crasher

Postby braydenh28 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:25 pm

I like the look of this rough saw timber what sort of timber would this be?
Attachments
image.jpg

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Postby J_Dub » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:59 pm

Hard to see.
Could be dirty ol pine that's been stained

tweake
Hard Yaka

Postby tweake » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:37 pm

its just stained ply. looks like a couple of ours when they where new.

braydenh28
Bush Crasher

Postby braydenh28 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:49 pm

What hardwood would you reccomend

tomsoffroad
Flopsie

Postby tomsoffroad » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:05 am

Ive got 30x120mm gauged Macrocarpa on my 60 series. Lives out side, has done for about 4 yrs now and its still the same as the day I put it down :D

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:27 am

Kwila way to go, its like concrete takes a beating and still looks cool.. but it's $$$ so unless you're a builder or know of one that can get trade rates.. then well prepare to pay.. its what I use and will add a little weight too :wink:

braydenh28
Bush Crasher

Postby braydenh28 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:19 pm

Was thinking maccapara or pine will shrink and can't afford kwila so may have to use ply, what do you reccomend I use to fasten to my the deck? Rivets or screws? The main reason I didn't want to use pine is because there is going to be join as a sheet is too small. Where is best place to put join? I have resprayed the deck ready for new timber
Attachments
image.jpg

braydenh28
Bush Crasher

Postby braydenh28 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:21 pm

J_Dub wrote:Definitely a hard wood decking or signage ply.
Its treated with a composite layer on the outside, its hard as fcuk, realy hard wearing and water proof.

Or put a layer of fiberglass over ply, done right it looks smart, hard wearing, clean and you can apply any color to it to match ya vehicle or what ever you please

How much work involved in fiberglassing over the ply mate?

Mehrts
Hard Yaka

Postby Mehrts » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:39 pm

5 years ago I replaced the old rotting timber on my flat deck with a type of special coated plywood that was recommended to me by a couple of other people. I can't remember exactly what it was called, but a google search of "non slip plywood" came up with the pics of the same stuff. I bought a 1200x2400x12mm sheet from Mitre 10. It was quite pricey, but it has more than paid for itself in appearance and practicability.

One side is glossy, and the other side is textured to give a non slip surface. It wears well too. If it gets scratched up, then after a couple of weeks you can hardly tell what's happened. It looks quite smart as well. Something a bit different from the usual.

Anyway, here's a pic of the stuff I've got.

As for fastening it to the frame. I used large counter sunk screws. I pre-drilled the holes, then countersunk the opening of the holes which the screw heads fit into. This gives a totally flat surface to use once finished. Everything is still holding up really well after all this time. I can take a couple of photos tomorrow showing everything in detail if you like?
Toyhatsu Bitsalux

braydenh28
Bush Crasher

Postby braydenh28 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:50 pm

Yea that would be great thanks a lot for your reply

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Postby J_Dub » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:59 pm

braydenh28 wrote:
J_Dub wrote:Definitely a hard wood decking or signage ply.

How much work involved in fiberglassing over the ply mate?

Very simple. If you have never done it before doing it on a flat surface like ply its pretty hard to muck up

braydenh28
Bush Crasher

Postby braydenh28 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:00 pm

Hay nope have never done it before wouldn't no where to start... Can't be too hard tho wouldnt think

nismo26
Hard Yaka

Postby nismo26 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:38 pm

Mehrts wrote:5 years ago I replaced the old rotting timber on my flat deck with a type of special coated plywood that was recommended to me by a couple of other people. I can't remember exactly what it was called, but a google search of "non slip plywood" came up with the pics of the same stuff. I bought a 1200x2400x12mm sheet from Mitre 10. It was quite pricey, but it has more than paid for itself in appearance and practicability.

One side is glossy, and the other side is textured to give a non slip surface. It wears well too. If it gets scratched up, then after a couple of weeks you can hardly tell what's happened. It looks quite smart as well. Something a bit different from the usual.

As for fastening it to the frame. I used large counter sunk screws. I pre-drilled the holes, then countersunk the opening of the holes which the screw heads fit into. This gives a totally flat surface to use once finished. Everything is still holding up really well after all this time. I can take a couple of photos tomorrow showing everything in detail if you like?

Its called trans-tex 220 plywood

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:42 am

When I used to build decks/trailers we always riveted the decks down, but on my own I used these (as I don't have an air riveter):

http://www.anzor.co.nz/drupal/sites/default/files/Self-Drilling-Screws.png

I pre-drill and countersink the ply, then when replacing the ply its a case of un-screwing where I can and cut off wheel & grinder where I can't (usually because they are full of crud)

The screws always outlive the ply.

Would love to hear of any better ideas.
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

Clint
Hard Yaka

Postby Clint » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:29 am

Mehrts wrote:One side is glossy, and the other side is textured to give a non slip surface. It wears well too. If it gets scratched up, then after a couple of weeks you can hardly tell what's happened. It looks quite smart as well. Something a bit different from the usual.

That's what I used for my trailer deck & it has held up well. It was available in a 1.8x3.6m (or thereabouts) sheet too so I could do the whole thing without a join. I got it from a transport/trailer wholesale outfit in Hamilton but I'm buggered if I can remember or find the name of them. I do remember that I saw a sheet of it on a mates Kea brand trailer so I rung up Kea & asked where they got it from.

The excess made a really nice workbench top too :D

I used rivets but if you can get to the back of all your fixing points countersunk SS bolts & nylock nuts are the best way to do it.

Cheers
Clint
UZJ71 Landcruiser
Jeep J20 - 1UZ-FE powered (part owner)
KTM 640

If it breaks, build it stronger.
If it doesn't break, drive it harder.

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:54 am

I got it from a transport/trailer wholesale outfit in Hamilton but I'm buggered if I can remember or find the name of them.

Wasn't MTW or Mikes transport warehouse on the old main road? First place that pops too mind that sells that stuff I think.
modified surf, hardly drive it seem to keep modifying it....

Return to “Tool Shed”