reregistering a modified deregistered vehicle

mercutio
Hard Yaka

reregistering a modified deregistered vehicle

Postby mercutio » Sun May 10, 2015 12:29 pm

So my g wagen is now deregistered due to my stupidity it is easy enough for me to drop the original motor back in so i am asking is it better to do this and reregister it before getting certified or should i do all the mods get them certed then get it reregistered.
my 4wd is not a truck

old mercedes never die but sometimes they do need some love

older cars are good,mercedes are better,older mercedes are the best

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Re: reregistering a modified deregistered vehicle

Postby Checkerhead » Sun May 10, 2015 7:26 pm

Not a guru on it but I think you will find its not to bad to do if you cert it as a scratch built (though they may say you are not modified enough).

They cert guy told me that my project would be easier if both vehicles are de-reg'd. Also due to the age of them (early nineties) that they will have 99% of the stuff that would be required to re-reg (things like burst proof latches on the doors). Likely the only thing to change would be web clamp seat belts, no biggie.

That said. I recommend talking to your local cert man before making any decisions.
Supercharged VH45 Surf safari winch truck in the making
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33527&hilit=checker%2A

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sun May 10, 2015 7:56 pm

What ever you do.. do not go down the scratch build road.. unless you have very deep pockets.. I suspect you will be a modified vehicle but best get a hold of a certifier in your area for some sort of direction.. I was looking at heading down the scratch build road and it would have broken the bank..you have to comply with some 2010 rules which means air bags, anti skid brakes. etc etc.. if it was me I'd re register it as factory then cert it for the mods at a later stage to keep things in perspective.. otherwise lots of $$$$ could be thrown into it.. My 2censt worth.. :wink:

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Sun May 10, 2015 8:47 pm

Not what I was told Big. There was something about the vehicle having to meet the standards of the day. So all I was looking at was changing seat belts.

Like I say. Go talk to your cert man.
Supercharged VH45 Surf safari winch truck in the making
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33527&hilit=checker%2A

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sun May 10, 2015 9:14 pm

Checkerhead wrote:Not what I was told Big. There was something about the vehicle having to meet the standards of the day. So all I was looking at was changing seat belts.

My understanding is if you scratch build now.. 2015 then the rules that are in place around the 2010 have to be met ( not the year of manufacture as essentially a scratch built car is a NEW car and has to meet the safety requirements..).. I could be wrong but that was what Peter Watson was saying when I was looking at cert for my truck.. But thankfully Im heading down the modified route..

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Wed May 13, 2015 6:22 pm

Big wrote:
Checkerhead wrote:Not what I was told Big. There was something about the vehicle having to meet the standards of the day. So all I was looking at was changing seat belts.

My understanding is if you scratch build now.. 2015 then the rules that are in place around the 2010 have to be met ( not the year of manufacture as essentially a scratch built car is a NEW car and has to meet the safety requirements..).. I could be wrong but that was what Peter Watson was saying when I was looking at cert for my truck.. But thankfully Im heading down the modified route..

I hope you are wrong because if you are right I am going to be F##ked with my build.

KIWI_TERRANO
Hard Yaka

Postby KIWI_TERRANO » Wed May 13, 2015 6:44 pm

Heath wrote:
Big wrote:

I hope you are wrong because if you are right I am going to be F##ked with my build.

And so will i be.. I got told i can either be scratch built or modified

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Wed May 13, 2015 9:21 pm

my hilux was to the point the cert man said scratch built, had the chassi from one, cab from another seats from a grand cherokee, engine block from a commodore, head from a skyline, Retrimmed R32 Dash and cluster/center console (even got the door cards trimmed to fit the hilux doors ,R33gearbox from one ,transfer from another model, 94 surf front clip, RN130 v6 bonnet and front gaurds front calipers from a WRX STI....ya get the picture. :oops:
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

KIWI_TERRANO
Hard Yaka

Postby KIWI_TERRANO » Wed May 13, 2015 9:57 pm

Im cruiser chassie hilux cab and motor with surf front clip told should fit re body modified hilux but now it got new rear half of chassie prob leaning scratch

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Wed May 13, 2015 10:36 pm

The basic rule for scratch built is if more than 40% of the body and or chassis is modified, catch is this is set by the certifier lol this is where its good to ask around... case in point my series 2a camper/tow wagon (work in progress ) new axles, motor transmission, steering (from axle to steering wheel) coil suspension, disk brakes, pedals, seats, fuel tanks, seat belts, tyre size and rims.... converting one side of the body to dual door, cutting up the guards and new bumpers, guard bars and sliders to expand the width of the vehicle to keep the wheels legal....
And all this is according to my certifier only 30% mechanical bits don't count.... yay lol

I've never had anything to do with certing a dereg but would assume it would go along the lines of apply for a re-vin on the chassis number and original plates at the point you normally get it a re-vin check, you'll then go through the cert process

I'll be interested to know for certain as its what I'm going to have to do with my landy as it was dereged years ago

KIWI_TERRANO
Hard Yaka

Postby KIWI_TERRANO » Wed May 13, 2015 10:57 pm

Yup thats what i got told to do..

Vin process then cert then back for plates and vin then back to get cert plate made then off for wof..

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Thu May 14, 2015 12:01 am

I did this process with the v8 Landy.

If you have original chassis, and body, you should be fine. It's when you mix chassis and bodies it gets harder for the certified to call it a modified vehicle. I think sometimes, in healths situation for example, the certifier may call it a FJ replica and apply the rules as though it was a modified FJ but it's definitely something to discuss with the certifier, as basically, they will try make it as easy as possible to cert, otherwise they are just making work for themselves and they get paid on a per cert basis I think.

The Landy had a highly modified chassis, different front plus middle x members, steering box, out riggers, suspension mounts. The only original body parts were roof, doors, front bulkhead, seat box. Rear bulkhead, front guards, bonnet were not original. Different engine, diffs, gearbox, breaks, suspension, bull bars, welded rims and it was processed as modified vehicle by my certified Peter Watson.

Also, I think there are some exceptions for hot rods to allow you to get the style of the period. E.g. No guards. But I think this is only for very old vehicles.

Process I did was VIN number (this might not be needed if you already have one), cert and got cert plate. Then VIN and WOF (at the same place) then I was away to get a rego label.

Return to “Tool Shed”