Hydraulic steering help / advice

Team Tonka
Hard Yaka

Hydraulic steering help / advice

Postby Team Tonka » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:29 am

Trying to do the maths and knowing what sort of output I'm gonna get from the standard Toyota power steering pump would be helpful. So anybody got any idea what sort of pressure and the flow rate? Is it a fixed displacement pump or a variable displacement one. Thinking it will be the latter?
Also has anyone ever used the standard ps pump for hydraulic steering and if so what was the outcome.

Thanks in advance, Andy.
May the force be with you.

ONOescudo
Hard Yaka

Re: Hydraulic steering help / advice

Postby ONOescudo » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:17 pm

Im no expert, but in general terms an automotive power steering pump and like a Toyota Camry power rack can be used in conjunction with a orbital steering control valve from a fork lift, tractor or boat as long as the orbital unit has a thinner spacer in the body. Rather than a thicker spacer as this would use to much hydraulic oil. This is the advice that I'm working with. I am also going down the hydro steering road.

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:03 am

No idea on flow but there is a chap down here that runs both front and rear steer from a Camry pump, the one that has two outlets, one for steering and the other for the factory hydraulic fan.
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

dvk-kp
Hard Yaka

Postby dvk-kp » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:02 pm

Don't know if it would be any good but some nissan pumps have 2 outlets as well... Hicas for rear steering. Skyline, cefiro, laurel etc.

Return to “Tool Shed”