Advice needed rustproofing/undersealing

zed
Hard Yaka

Advice needed rustproofing/undersealing

Postby zed » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:25 pm

Hi ORErs, the body on my truck is about to go to the scrappy (not worth repairing all the pillars and putting a new roof and floor on etc ), so I found another body which is pretty mint.

Main question is what's the best way to protect it before I put it back on?

Should I steam clean inside and out, then degrease/dry/underseal in and out?

Should I use chassis paint/por15/engineers etch primer etc (over top of existing paint)?

What products have you used that stand the bashing/drowning/hits we give them?

Had opinions from lots of non pros so keen to hear what the real experts say.

Cheers
IFS all the way...go the mark 1 Pajero!

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Re: Advice needed rustproofing/undersealing

Postby Mattman » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:44 pm

Interested to hear as well. Be good to have you out with us again

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:01 pm

most important thing to do is to remove the rust that is there mate, what is a little spot today is a big hole tomorrow :D putting $100+ a litre por15 over the top of paint is a waste of money por15 has to adhere directly to metal and you have to apply all their rust converter prep before hand :D

zed
Hard Yaka

Postby zed » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:22 pm

Mattman wrote:Interested to hear as well. Be good to have you out with us again

Yeah matt always fun, you got your new toy?

zed
Hard Yaka

Postby zed » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:25 pm

derk wrote:most important thing to do is to remove the rust that is there mate, what is a little spot today is a big hole tomorrow :D putting $100+ a litre por15 over the top of paint is a waste of money por15 has to adhere directly to metal and you have to apply all their rust converter prep before hand :D

Cheers derk. It's got no rust at all in it at mo, I'm wanting to protect it as much as possible for the future so looking for recommendations

Ralfie
Hard Yaka

Postby Ralfie » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:57 pm

derk wrote:most important thing to do is to remove the rust that is there mate, what is a little spot today is a big hole tomorrow :D putting $100+ a litre por15 over the top of paint is a waste of money por15 has to adhere directly to metal and you have to apply all their rust converter prep before hand :D

POR-15 will go over existing painted areas as long as the existing surface is sound and the paint has been roughened up to help the POR-15 to adhere.
As with all surface coatings and painting the results only come through the time spent on the preparation before painting.

Another product to consider is Dinitrol underbody protection. Distributors in NZ are www.abe.co.nz and they have a good range of protection coatings etc.

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:18 pm

^^^^
$100 a litre por15 is a bit extravagant to be splashing over already painted surfaces you can use $10-$15 paint or underseal for that :D

zed
Hard Yaka

Postby zed » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:48 pm

Ralfie wrote:

POR-15 will go over existing painted areas as long as the existing surface is sound and the paint has been roughened up to help the POR-15 to adhere.
As with all surface coatings and painting the results only come through the time spent on the preparation before painting.

Another product to consider is Dinitrol underbody protection. Distributors in NZ are http://www.abe.co.nz and they have a good range of protection coatings etc.

Thanks Ralfie - any advice on surface prep and which of the products to use for what? No idea re body stuff, mechanics and electronics I can do never done panel and paint before :-)

zed
Hard Yaka

Postby zed » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:50 pm

derk wrote:^^^^
$100 a litre por15 is a bit extravagant to be splashing over already painted surfaces you can use $10-$15 paint or underseal for that :D

Ok whats best to do prep wise before I go putting underseal everywhere? Bit green at this stuff want to do it right though cheers

Colinl
Hard Yaka

Postby Colinl » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:01 am

Dinitrol Wax underbody, Ultimate will be Zinc/ galvanising.

zed
Hard Yaka

Postby zed » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:27 pm

Colinl wrote:Dinitrol Wax underbody, Ultimate will be Zinc/ galvanising.

Thanks Colinl, cant quite justify the galvanising so looking for other ideas :D

What sort of prep is required before the wax application? The shell has no carpet or hood lining etc, so can I use the wax on the internal floor/roof as well as inside the guards/pillars/doors etc? Can the wax be sprayed or is it brush only? Do you apply the wax as is and leave it or do you paint or apply something else over the top?

Colinl
Hard Yaka

Postby Colinl » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:37 pm

Wax inside can get pretty messy.
Why not just spray on tub liner internaly + a can of cavity wax for doors & sills.

Dinitrol do some good products for underbody
Dinitrol ML Dries to a soft brown wax. good for a general cover everything, wax doesn't harden rubber seals etc.
Man use this on their new HX60 trucks, they cover literally everything from electrical looms, axles, ball joints, rails in this stuff.
I can pick at it with my nails and its like a thick squishy coating so should take stone chips well & easily repairable by spraying more one.

http://www.abe.co.nz/productitems.php?i ... e97ba20db2
http://www.abe.co.nz/edit/ftpuploads/69 ... %20TDS.pdf

Just degrease, rust free & spray on with a spray gun.

Colinl
Hard Yaka

Postby Colinl » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:53 pm

Have a squiz at this.
http://funrover.com/guides/how-to-use-d ... and-rover/

Note this level of treatment in only required for land rovers :wink:
I hear of some owners bolting zinc blocks to their vehicle since they like spend so much time in salt water ha ha

zed
Hard Yaka

Postby zed » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:48 pm

Colinl wrote:Have a squiz at this.
http://funrover.com/guides/how-to-use-d ... and-rover/

Note this level of treatment in only required for land rovers :wink:
I hear of some owners bolting zinc blocks to their vehicle since they like spend so much time in salt water ha ha

Awesome just what I needed thanks a heap Colinl

Craydiver
Hard Yaka

Postby Craydiver » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:17 pm

88SWB GQ TD Turbo, 35's, lockers

tycho
Hard Yaka

Postby tycho » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:57 pm

Check out Lanotec. Not that cheap but could work.

zed
Hard Yaka

Postby zed » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:35 pm

thanks - good to get the right advice from a metal expert :) no rusty bits in it at all so i'll use the chemy stuff to protect it

zed
Hard Yaka

Postby zed » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:36 pm

tycho wrote:Check out Lanotec. Not that cheap but could work.

thanks looking at all the options now

zed
Hard Yaka

Postby zed » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:07 pm

OK after some light reading I found this real-world test:

http://www.classicsmonthly.com/2012/11/05/cavity-waxes-on-test/ & http://www.auson.se/sites/default/files/rusttest_noxudol_700_classic_monthly_uk.pdf

and this sciency test:

http://www.bilthamber.com/media/downloads/32/PG-BH13-001.pdf

looking like either the Noxudol 700 or the Bilt-Hamber Dynax-S50 is the go cavity wax wise - inside the pillars, doors, body panels and everywhere else I can get to where the waterblaster won't go. Both used in UK where salty roads are a regular thing so gotta be a good thing for those who like teaching their 4wds to swim...*cough* :oops:

As far as underbody & chassis goes OVER EXISTING PAINT, the Dinitrol 4941 or the Bilt-Hamber Dynax-UB seems to get the nod, after a suitable hot pressure wash with degreaser and prep via a wire brush etc, then rust converter (RC900 Dinitrol or Hydrate-80 B-H). Dinitrol is available here as pointed out above (cheers had a good chat to them today), B-H ex UK.

If it was a bare-metal underbody/chassis job (bead blasted or whatever) then I'd be using this stuff: http://www.rust.co.uk/epoxy-mastic-rust-proofing-paint/c28117/

For inside, I'm thinking some paint stripper then then the epoxy mastic above, then a topcoat, although the paint is perfect... :roll:

Thanks for your help everyone will give this body beating thingy a go ha
Last edited by zed on Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:09 am, edited 4 times in total.

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:17 pm

zed wrote:

Not yet - you got much left to get your truck running again?

zed
Hard Yaka

Postby zed » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:45 pm

Mattman wrote:
zed wrote:

Not yet - you got much left to get your truck running again?

Ok how long till you get it?. It's running now has been for ages. Have been teaching my son to drive his one up in the hills where we play ;-)

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:47 pm

Nice one

Decided I definitely need to sell my current truck before picking up another one! Can't afford two trucks haha.

zed
Hard Yaka

Postby zed » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:00 pm

Mattman wrote:Nice one

Decided I definitely need to sell my current truck before picking up another one! Can't afford two trucks haha.

Lol...mine must have been breeding...got three atm...:-D

Gyxx
Hard Yaka

Postby Gyxx » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:25 am

Hey Zed.

Looks like it's you've got the homework done on which products are good. I've been out of the industry for a few years now so I won't offer an opinion on which particular brands/ products on the market currently are considered the best.

Just two things you may want to consider that I don't think anyone's mentioned yet.

I'd be very wary of steam cleaning as the steam has a way of finding it's way into every nook, cranny and double skinned area on the vehicle. I've seen a lot of vehicles doomed to an early grave by overly enthusiastic steam cleaning. Mainly Jap imports that the chaps at MAF have steam cleaned to death to get rid of foreign nasties, but also a few DIY restorations where the owner thinks they've done everything possible to rust proof their vehicle but have left moisture in the seams after steam cleaning and then sealed it in with paint/ wax whatever to do it's corrosive best. I'd only recommend steam cleaning a body shell if you can be really sure of getting it completely bone dry afterwards - A few days in baking hot summer sun or in a bake oven.

Whichever product you decide to use inside the shell (Dinitrol, cavity wax etc) make sure it doesn't block up the drainage channels in the sills etc. Before painting I'd go around all the drainage channels and open up any the have been bashed flat. After doing the painting /waxing whichever you decide to do, I'd go around all the drainage channels and make sure they're clear. Also drain tubes, particularly the ones that run from sliding rear windows - they have a nasty habit of dislodging or blocking up and leaving water sitting in the window runner channel or dripping into the sills.

Cheers

zed
Hard Yaka

Postby zed » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:37 am

Gyxx wrote:Hey Zed.

Looks like it's you've got the homework done on which products are good. I've been out of the industry for a few years now so I won't offer an opinion on which particular brands/ products on the market currently are considered the best.

Just two things you may want to consider that I don't think anyone's mentioned yet.

I'd be very wary of steam cleaning as the steam has a way of finding it's way into every nook, cranny and double skinned area on the vehicle. I've seen a lot of vehicles doomed to an early grave by overly enthusiastic steam cleaning. Mainly Jap imports that the chaps at MAF have steam cleaned to death to get rid of foreign nasties, but also a few DIY restorations where the owner thinks they've done everything possible to rust proof their vehicle but have left moisture in the seams after steam cleaning and then sealed it in with paint/ wax whatever to do it's corrosive best. I'd only recommend steam cleaning a body shell if you can be really sure of getting it completely bone dry afterwards - A few days in baking hot summer sun or in a bake oven.

Whichever product you decide to use inside the shell (Dinitrol, cavity wax etc) make sure it doesn't block up the drainage channels in the sills etc. Before painting I'd go around all the drainage channels and open up any the have been bashed flat. After doing the painting /waxing whichever you decide to do, I'd go around all the drainage channels and make sure they're clear. Also drain tubes, particularly the ones that run from sliding rear windows - they have a nasty habit of dislodging or blocking up and leaving water sitting in the window runner channel or dripping into the sills.

Cheers

Excellent advice thanks...hadn't thought about how long the water from a steam clean would hang around. Do really want to hit the underside though as it was a leaky diesel and there's oil and trans fluid everywhere...which hopefully means the underside is rust free! :-D

I've cleaned out and checked most of the drain holes but good call on the sliders...will make sure they are flushed out first as I wasnt planning on a full strip down (glass out etc)

Cheers

Return to “Tool Shed”