Snatch strap opinions

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Snatch strap opinions

Postby Smurf » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:46 pm

Grabbing a new strop soon and looking at all the straps now available, I was just wondering what peoples thought were on what is available.
I have always used The Cookes Snatchmaster and recently bought a Maxitrax one which only lasted one trip before giving out near the loop.
Thoughts? fire away.

stu_71
Hard Yaka

Re: Snatch strap opinions

Postby stu_71 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:01 pm

ARB get good write ups but I got Bridon Cookes to make me one up twice the standard length for obv reasons

Ralfie
Hard Yaka

Postby Ralfie » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:29 pm

Smurf wrote:Grabbing a new strop soon and looking at all the straps now available, I was just wondering what peoples thought were on what is available.
I have always used The Cookes Snatchmaster and recently bought a Maxitrax one which only lasted one trip before giving out near the loop.
Thoughts? fire away.

I think you answered your own question.
Bridon's Cookes Snatchmaster is NZ made and good quality for price.
ARB's products are also top quality.
The Maxitrax, Ridge Ryder from Supercheap and the likes from China etc are not the best and the manufacturing processes and materials are questionable.

I only use quality nylon and have a preference for rope rather than straps. Downside is they can be rather bulky to store.

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:46 pm

Ralfie wrote:
Smurf wrote:Grabbing a new strop soon and looking at all the straps now available, I was just wondering what peoples thought were on what is available.
Thoughts? fire away.

I think you answered your own question.
Bridon's Cookes Snatchmaster is NZ made and good quality for price.
ARB's products are also top quality.
The Maxitrax, Ridge Ryder from Supercheap and the likes from China etc are not the best and the manufacturing processes and materials are questionable.

I only use quality nylon and have a preference for rope rather than straps. Downside is they can be rather bulky to store.

It isn't really a question, I am just keen to get others views on different products. Get a decent discussion going.
The Cookes ones are good value for money and I think they would still be my preference. But you can spend a lot more on the likes of Mean Mother etc. from Australia, and what are you gaining, are they better? $80 Cookes verses $200 Mean Mother
The Supercheap straps faired really well in an Australian test a while back but I can't get my head past the budget "supercheap' image to put my money into them . But I'm happy to be proven otherwise.
And then lump in Mudstuck straps and their stretch ropes such as
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 917152.htm

Dearer is obviously not always better, but when Cookes are cheaper than some of the lesser known or proven options, perhaps one of those isn't a bad product but just not a known quantity? If you get what I mean.
What product compares or is better than the Cookes Snatch Strap for a similar price?

mudsurfv6
Hard Yaka

Postby mudsurfv6 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:51 am

have got ARB & a few Snatchmasters, prefer the Snatchmaster.

though saying that not long ago saw a brand new first time used Snatchmaster break all the stitching around loop on second pull.
1996 vzn185 surf, TRD supercharger, SAS, 35s, 4" lift, 2 lockers, ute chopped + more happening. Andrew 0272226292.

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:32 am

Not sure on brand or make but what about kinetic energy snatch straps..? I've heard they are the way to go and will be looking for one of those when mine finally gives up..

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:58 pm

What are you talking about Big?
Aren't all snatch straps kinetic energy straps?

Edit to correct "kinetuc". I'm not that bad at spelling, just that bad at typing.
Last edited by Checkerhead on Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Supercharged VH45 Surf safari winch truck in the making
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33527&hilit=checker%2A

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:29 pm

Checkerhead wrote:What are you talking about Big?
Aren't all snatch straps kinetuc energy straps?

well lets just say some are better than others..

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =987470169 like this.. they take a beating and they work amazingly better than the flat strap type..like from cooks etc

keithal
Hard Yaka

Postby keithal » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:15 pm

Having now used both nylon rope and snatch master straps and would go rope over a strap every time
Stretch a lot better and can be re spliced on the go if hey ever broke
Only downside to rope is the fact they take up so much more room

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:46 pm

I have been wondering about those too Big, Scarles had them for half price a while back and if I was looking for one back then I probably would give them a go. take up less space than a strap or a rope.
I think having a longer nylon rope can be an idea as often a strap just doesn't quite reach.

LR90NZ
Hard Yaka

Postby LR90NZ » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:34 pm

Aren't all snatch straps kinetuc energy straps?

No, as not all snatch straps are made of nylon.

Some like the Ridge Ryder products from Supercheap and also Mudstuck are actually made of polyester which doesn't stretch.

I did article on the Supercheap ones two or 3 years ago when you could buy a "4WD Recovery strap" which said on box "instructions for snatch recovery inside" and sure enough has such instructions.
Sitting beside it on the shelf was a "4WD Recovery Snatch Strap" which was dearer but was made of nylon.
The Recovery Strap being polyester meant it could not stretch and would only shock load recovery points.

I also questioned Mudstuck regarding the way they were selling some of their stuff on Trade me a year or two back. Again wasn't nylon yet was being sold as snatch recovery equipment.

A stretch or snatch recovery is only undertaken with a nylon rope, which is man-made and very elastic. It can stretch up to about 30 per cent of its original length under tension. (Nylon straps also stretch but not as much as rope due to stitching etc.) This elasticity is what makes snatch ropes so effective but also why they are potentially dangerous if mistreated; if a nylon rope breaks it flies back like a rubber band and may catapult a towing point towards the other vehicle or a bystander. In off-road recovery we use kinetic energy to our advantage with tremendous caution.

There are several different rope types available including sisal (hemp), manila and polyester or polypropylene but only nylon should be used for a snatch recovery. The others lack stretch or elasticity.

Snatch ropes and straps require proper care and maintenance if they are to remain safe to use. It might appear macho but don’t leave your rope wrapped around the front bumper (or spare wheel) of the vehicle. Ultraviolet light damages the rope, so keep it stored out of direct sunlight. Also keep it away from exhaust heat and battery acid. After every outing thoroughly clean it of mud and, to prolong the life, keep it in a sack or breathable canvas bag. Always check the condition of a strap and if cut, frayed, damaged or the stitching is broken, do not use it. Continued use of a snatch strap as a tow rope under load will reduce the elasticity of the strap and therefore useless as a snatch strap. A nylon snatch strap/rope will work harden with continual use reducing its elasticity and reducing its ability to reduce shock loading on the vehicles. Your snatch strap/rope is a low cost item so consider replacing it every couple of years as continued use and environmental factors reduces their effectiveness.

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:34 pm

LR90NZ wrote:
Aren't all snatch straps kinetic energy straps?

No, as not all snatch straps are made of nylon.[/i]

Thanks. I've never really looked into it before. I assumed you wouldn't call it a snatch starp if it didn't have a reasonable amount of stretch.

In the past I have said that the super cheap ones were rubbish and felt very static compared to my Cookes (Bridon) one. In fact I flat refused to use the supercheap ones and told my mate that if he wanted me to keep pulling him out, he should buy a better strap. Turns out it's possible (likely) that his wasn't even a proper snatch strap.

To join the rest of the conversation. I have had a few Cookes ones, always thought they were good. However the next one I buy will be the big rope that some of you are talking about. Being recovered by those (and a good driver) feels very gentle and effective.
Supercharged VH45 Surf safari winch truck in the making
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33527&hilit=checker%2A

Team Tonka
Hard Yaka

Postby Team Tonka » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:23 am

In the early years a lot of the near misses I had and damage to trucks was from snatch recoveries. You just don't have any control, and they are dangerous even when used properly. They fatigue so fail too often. 3 ton of charging steel on an elastic band is just begging for trouble. I would say if you cant recover with a straight pull, put it back in the box and invest in a decent winch. I won an all singing and dancing snatch rope at a winch challenge a couple of years ago and its still in its unopened bag, and the best place for it. Oh, and don't ever use one as a winch extension.
May the force be with you.

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:52 pm

Has anyone used oe of the Kinetic snatch straps that are for sale on Trade Me?
And have any feedback?
There is a big price difference between the two I have linked below.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =999594112

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =998347177

keithal
Hard Yaka

Postby keithal » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:00 pm

Haven't used either of those but my 24mm nylon rope from cookies was only 130 for a 10m
The cheaper one is probably only 20mm nylon from the looks of it hence the cheaper price

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:29 pm

keithal wrote:Haven't used either of those but my 24mm nylon rope from cookies was only 130 for a 10m
The cheaper one is probably only 20mm nylon from the looks of it hence the cheaper price

Yeah I had the same thought on the cheaper one.
I have 20 metres of 24mm Nylon coming from Cookes tomorrow hopefully

Ralfie
Hard Yaka

Postby Ralfie » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:28 pm

Smurf wrote:Has anyone used oe of the Kinetic snatch straps that are for sale on Trade Me?
And have any feedback?

I might be a sceptic but the first one is possibly not nylon. They might be relying on the plaiting or braiding to get the stretch.
The second one does state its nylon but I still would be buying from reputable company like Cookes Bridon.

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:33 pm

Ralfie wrote:
Smurf wrote:Has anyone used oe of the Kinetic snatch straps that are for sale on Trade Me?
And have any feedback?

I might be a sceptic but the first one is possibly not nylon. They might be relying on the plaiting or braiding to get the stretch.
The second one does state its nylon but I still would be buying from reputable company like Cookes Bridon.

And Cookes stuff costs less then both the ones listed

Return to “Tool Shed”