Plasma cutters??

catalystracing
Hard Yaka

Plasma cutters??

Postby catalystracing » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:32 am

Looking at getting a cutter and just wanted to know what you guys n gals use.
What is nice to have and what is really needed as far as basic functions go, just wanting to cut around 8-10mm plate etc.

Cheers Paul.

kbushnz
Hard Yaka

Re: Plasma cutters??

Postby kbushnz » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:55 am

I have one of these...
http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farmi ... 169413.htm
Struggles a bit on the thick 10mm stuff.....But is only occasionally for me....
If you are using it regularly spend the coin and get a good one.
You will also need a good dry air supply too.

I would suggest as big an amperage as possible...
Cheers Calvin
KZJ78 Landcruiser Prado...

catalystracing
Hard Yaka

Postby catalystracing » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:51 pm

Thanks,
was looking at one of those, good to have the feedback.
Probably cutting 6mm most of the time, so it should be fine.
was thinking of this, but then see your more amperage comment.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1020375332

Cheers

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:52 pm

if you do much cutting, I suggest buying one that is one size bigger than what you need to cut your 10mm(bigger in Amps and rated cutting thickness.)
The entry level obscure branded ones are still unreliable(not true for all,rather a sweeping generalisation), so if you are buying chinese, there are some brands that have been operating OK for a few years now, and there are firms that are prepared to offer decent warranties on these more robust machines, and also have the service/parts backup.
Basically, if you buy a cheap 10mm rated plasma cutter, and use it to cut decent amounts of 10mm stuff, then the likelihood of breakdown is high. (No, not THAT kind of breakdown!)

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:59 pm

Ive got an XA 40amp unit off weld tech in east tamaki auckland.
Lovely unit but a bit small to do 10mm all day.

Imho you need to be looking at 60a plus

Some thing to look for is the ability to drag the cutting tip as you cut. Not all plasma can do this.
It means that if using a straight edge or copy template then you will not end up under cutting the guild.

Also ensure that you can supply the desired power supply that cutting bigger plate will require. ie 20-25 amps circuit breaker and plug. If you cant give the bigger machines enough supply you will be just wasting ya coin buying it. Cheaper to get a smaller machine that will suit.

My 40amp unit will cut 10mm plate but its at the limit and burns the tips out fast plus the cuts not very nice as it tend to wonder under and over cutting as the cut progresses.

Just my 2c worth.

They are a brillant peice of kit.

And as my little shed say goes

The plasma cutter makes right all that i glue together wrong.

Which at times can be lots :oops:

But then migs are also a cool peice of kit as well.
They do compliment each other well

nismo26
Hard Yaka

Postby nismo26 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:29 pm

Hypertherm is the best, not cheap but I have never used any other plasma that cuts as good and the tips seem to last ages.

RRS
Driver/Navigator

Postby RRS » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:40 pm

I bought a thermal dynamics cut master 81 on tm for $1000 a few years ago.
It is the only one I have ever had and goes well. Apparently is better than average for cost to run for wearing parts.
I would prefer to buy second hand heavy duty than brand new Chinese .
You need 400v though.

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:37 pm

I got one of the Mitech 40 amp, got good reviews and full parts supply think the guy dealling them is on trademe if not run a search on google he's in CHCH and is happy to ship stuff
I've tried a number of different hand pieces and tips the most reliable and cheapest is the original PT31 torch with the "long" consumables, if your going to cut more thicker stuff then the P80 torch it cut the 10mm with less wander to the arc catch is I found these more prone to blowing out due to wet air and the consumables were twice the price and not always available on trademe it also has a larger tip that makes it hard to trim things off things
Unless you have a decent 3 phase compressor and/or some form of drier I'd recomend the pt31 and you will learn what you thought was dry air isn't lol moisture is the main killer of tips on sticky humid days I've killed a tip set in 2m of cut on 3mm plate
Oh and the cheap water separator that comes with them is not going to make a difference lol had mine for alot of yrs and i've never seen any water build up in it.... yet blow the torch onto my hand and after a bit you'll feel/see the water droplets

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:29 am

Agree with reece 100%. I have a 60a mitech unit and have had it for 8 years or more now. My power supply is total crap and the air supply does not get dried as much as it should, but it still cuts fine.
Is the pt31 hand peice the old one with the hard plastic outer shield Reece? If so, this is definitely the one you want as the newer ones have a ceramic shield and you only have to drop something on the hand piece and they shatter, and when you are a rough prick like me and keep dropping the hand piece on the ground, this is a major piss off.
Matt, Paul and the guys at NZ welder supplies are great to deal with as well, (they are in Annex Rd in Chch).
Ugly is a state of mind..... and the state of my truck!

catalystracing
Hard Yaka

Postby catalystracing » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:07 pm

Awesome feedback folks, many thanks.
I have only single phase but can easily put a big amp plug in. (ran 16mm cable to the barn when I got it wired it up)
10 mm will not be cut very often, 5 and 6 the most and usually 2-3mm.

Think Ill keep an eye out for one of the mitech ones.

Again many thanks for the comments.

Cheers Paul.

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:09 pm

Yea you have to be careful with the outer ceramics they are more fragile as they are cooling down..... about the time you have finished cutting put the torch down carefully taken your mask off and time to turn away from the table... with the cord twisted so it catches your foot and you drag the torch off the table lol yea
The PT30 or what ever they call it uses these consumables
http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/industrial/manufacturing-metalwork/other/auction-1021514571.htm

The 80 uses these
http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/industrial/manufacturing-metalwork/welders/auction-1023095449.htm

I just noticed a slightly smaller version of the 80 they call p 51 but at the same price.... IMO I'd say if your going to change go to the 80 on dry days it was impressive how well it cut... the pin inside is huge and doesn't wear down if the air is dry if your air is wet then it shorts out to the cup burning the hole out to the side and sending the arc off on an angle and increasing your kerf

As for wiring given the lead size these units come with I wouldn't bother wiring anything more than 30amp TCP (think its 4mm cable) put your effort into a copper tube dryer for your compressor... just needs a few laps of copper up and down screwed to the wall with water bleeds at the bottom of each rise this will condense the water out of your air your consumables will last ALOT longer and your cut will be cleaner... also better for painting and air tools
This said its on the list of things I need to do lol will bother when I have built my own shed

catalystracing
Hard Yaka

Postby catalystracing » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:38 pm

De-Ranged wrote:
As for wiring given the lead size these units come with I wouldn't bother wiring anything more than 30amp TCP (think its 4mm cable) put your effort into a copper tube dryer for your compressor... just needs a few laps of copper up and down screwed to the wall with water bleeds at the bottom of each rise this will condense the water out of your air your consumables will last ALOT longer and your cut will be cleaner... also better for painting and air tools
This said its on the list of things I need to do lol will bother when I have built my own shed

Spoke to the sparkie, 16mm is cheapaer as more common than 4mm, though 4mm is sufficient. So we went with 16 :mrgreen:

I have a little copper left over from some plumbing changes so will get on to that dryer, a great idea, many thanks.

Cheers

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:13 pm

lol goes both ways I'll look into that 16mm as I might be wiring a shed soon cheers

callum007
Hard Yaka

Postby callum007 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:14 pm

16mm N/S should cost u about $6-7 per M Reece. 16 is sufficient for a shed supply but is very difficult to get into a plug socket!! 6mm range cable is good to feed your outlets with.

Sorry back on topic.
Ive always wanted a plasma cutter but my c/less circular saw cuts 12mm plate fine and you get a lot of cut off discs for the cost of a plasma
Dont follow me. i'll get stuck and need a tow..

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:15 pm

callum007 wrote:I've always wanted a plasma cutter but my c/less circular saw cuts 12mm plate fine and you get a lot of cut off discs for the cost of a plasma

I suspect I have been through a Plasma cutter worth of cut off discs in my life time.
Supercharged VH45 Surf safari winch truck in the making
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33527&hilit=checker%2A

diogenese
Hard Yaka

Postby diogenese » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:26 am

I bet your saw doesn't do too well with corners though ;)

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:22 am

diogenese wrote:I bet your saw doesn't do too well with corners though ;)

Bondy is all about function. Form doesn't play a part in his equation :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ugly is a state of mind..... and the state of my truck!

callum007
Hard Yaka

Postby callum007 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:45 am

If you have talent you can do anything. I don't have talent I have CAD and laser cut bracketry wins every time.
All I was getting at was that for many, there is no real need for a plasma cutter to cut a few dozen things that can get as easily be done with other cheaper devices. You still need to clean the cuts with plasma, from my experience.
Dont follow me. i'll get stuck and need a tow..

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:28 am

Not wanting to get into a shit fight over what is and isnt worth buying.

I know that previous to owning a plasma i would of said the same thing " why buy when im making do without". But then i bought one and havnt looked back.
Has saved me well over 50 to 100 125mm cut off disks on the build plus a couple of dozen 9" blades as well.
Found i was using a lot more grinding disks than before but a lot of that was because i used the edge if a cut off to deburr rather than change the disk each time.

The plasma cuts off old welds real easy and will get into tight areas with relative ease.

Yes i could still use combanation of oxy/grinder/die grinder/chiesel to achieve given result and would be happy with the end result. But the plasma will do all that a lot quicker easier and kess mucking around and the result woukd be just as good or better.

Just my 2c worth anyways

RRS
Driver/Navigator

Postby RRS » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:20 pm

Before I bought the plasma cutter I was told you can't beat the cost, wether you use gas, discs or plasma.
I am real pleased I bought mine, there is nothing safe about a 9 inch disc grinder and oxy lpg seems to use way more oxy.
Maybe it's different in the North Island but down here the gas companies are thieving pricks for small users.
Good luck with what you decide to use.

Return to “Tool Shed”