Expected life of EGT Sensor

1000dollamitzy
Hard Yaka

Expected life of EGT Sensor

Postby 1000dollamitzy » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:35 pm

Hi Guys

Sorry haven't posted much for a while but have a question about how much life people are getting out of their EGT Gauge sensors.

I put an EGT gauge in the million dollar Mitzy about 18 months ago from a crowd called Driven performance but the sensor has just died.

As it will be a prick of a job to replace the sensor I don't what to be doing it too often and am concerned that the quality of the driven performance product is not as good as it could be. The truck has covered just under 20,000km since it was installed. It was installed in a brand new (out of box, create engine) 4D56 Turbo diesel. It was installed before the turbo so peak temperatures reach 700c before alarm flashes, and sits at around 420c when cruising at 100km/h on a flat road.

So can people please let me know what gauges they have installed and how long the sensors have lasted in their trucks? I am wondering if I need to replace the current gauge with an Auber one as they seem to have a pretty good rap on here.

Any comments would be much appreciated!!

Cheers
Rick
I dont have an attitude, I have a personality you can't handle....

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Re: Expected life of EGT Sensor

Postby De-Ranged » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:27 pm

Any damage to the turbo ??

Mehrts
Hard Yaka

Postby Mehrts » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:20 pm

I've got an Autometer thermocouple/gauge and it's been fitted pre-turbo for 2.5 years now, probably around 15,000km total running. I haven't pulled it out to see what condition it's in, but it still operates fine.

Typical temps are 400 degrees open road running, 650 degrees max.
Toyhatsu Bitsalux

1000dollamitzy
Hard Yaka

Postby 1000dollamitzy » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:43 pm

Any damage to the turbo ??

Nope, just doesn't read reliably, sometimes it works ok when it is cold for a while, but once it has been running for a while the gauge just drops back to zero, then sometimes reads and then drops again etc etc :?

Mehrts
Hard Yaka

Postby Mehrts » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:20 pm

Not a wiring issue by any chance? Have you looked at the gauge while wiggling everything around a bit?
Toyhatsu Bitsalux

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:30 pm

I just took out my autogauge brand egt gauge and probe which was Pre turbo. Had been in for 4 years. No noticeable issues

1000dollamitzy
Hard Yaka

Postby 1000dollamitzy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:16 am

Not a wiring issue by any chance? Have you looked at the gauge while wiggling everything around a bit?

Hmmmm good question, but I don't think so, sometimes the gauge is reading around half of the value it should, sometimes nothing and sometimes gives a normal reading, especially when cold, so I think it is more likely the sensor is going. If it was either reading or not reading then I think that would be a definite possibility, but not with it working fine when it is cold and then sometimes half reading. But good thought.

1000dollamitzy
Hard Yaka

Postby 1000dollamitzy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:18 am

[quoteI just took out my autogauge brand egt gauge and probe which was Pre turbo. Had been in for 4 years. No noticeable issues][/quote]

Thanks Mattman, at least I know they can last longer than 18 months then :D

pruggerdore
Hard Yaka

Postby pruggerdore » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:26 pm

hi rick I still have that identical egt gauge you got me still in the box. easiest cheapest option may be just change the sensor, only replace one end as gauge/sensors are matched. get another 18 months lol.

my ph seems to have lost your no so txt me so i have it again

1000dollamitzy
Hard Yaka

Postby 1000dollamitzy » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:21 am

hi rick I still have that identical egt gauge you got me still in the box. easiest cheapest option may be just change the sensor, only replace one end as gauge/sensors are matched. get another 18 months lol.

my ph seems to have lost your no so txt me so i have it again

OK, thanks Clive I might go and have a chat to Frankie as I need to know how much of a PITA it is going to be to change the sensor, from memory it is a big job........ :? So if it is it a big problem it will be cheaper to buy a whole new much more expensive (and hopefully more reliable and better quality) gauge and sensor now and install it rather than just replacing the sensor.

Will txt you my number this morning......lost I am sure.....you just didn't want to give me my jacket back....... :lol:

Return to “Tool Shed”