Powered Battery Box

werc1
Hard Yaka

Powered Battery Box

Postby werc1 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:15 pm

Hi team - I'm in the process of setting up my LR Defender for camping trips, etc. I've read all about dual / isolated batteries, etc. However I haven't come across many people using a powered standalone battery box like this one for example: http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/online- ... mendations

I'd be looking to power a small'ish camping fridge, and possible some other great if req'd. Also, it seems logical that it can also act as a backup battery if the standard one fails/drains. It would be mounted in the rear of the load space in the Defender. Seems to have a 12v integrated outlet for my needs (and could setup w/ a dual adapter if req'd)...?

Any thoughts / experiences on this?

thanks in advance

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Re: Powered Battery Box

Postby mudlva » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:34 pm

tbh its a awesome idea.
hook it up via a relay that the ign controls so you can auto charge it whilst traveling. lights fridge mob phones sorted

Ralfie
Hard Yaka

Postby Ralfie » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:10 pm

I think over time you will find it a nuisance and taking up valuable storage space in the rear.

The Defender has space for twin battery's in the current battery location.

werc1
Hard Yaka

Postby werc1 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:27 pm

thanks for the quick replies. Rather than have dual batteries under the seat in the defender, this battery box is mobile and could be moved if required (e.g. if you were setting up camp somewhere for a while and needed to charge or relocate things being charged off of it. I have a dual battery setup in my 90 (w/ 12V socket out the back), but am deciding what to do in my 110. Possibly hook up a trickle charger when not in use...?

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:06 pm

Can't say for certain on this one... but I have used SC battery box's before, they are cheap lol the anchor strap has these light weight plastic clips that arn't up to the job of securing a battery, broke one just theading the strap lol
Have a look before you buy

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:37 pm

I can't really see the difference between this and any other dual battery set up. It's just a battery box.

I see it says "sealed" but I suspect it would still need to be vented to the out side to make your WOF man happy (or run a sealed battery as well, so no biggie I guess).

Maybe it's useful if you will actually disconnect it and place it somewhere around your campsite?

Also I will go with De-Ranged and say that the few of these that I have dealt with do not seem to be up to duty in the back of a 4wd.
Supercharged VH45 Surf safari winch truck in the making
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33527&hilit=checker%2A

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:43 pm

how long do you want to run your camping fridge the battery will go flat pretty quick with a fridge hanging off it :D

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:54 am

Checkerhead wrote:Also I will go with De-Ranged and say that the few of these that I have dealt with do not seem to be up to duty in the back of a 4wd.

I had a similar one from Halfords in the back of my 90, lasted about 3 months before the box broke, the strap that held the battery in place, inside, broke first, then the battery damaged the box. Also used a tie down on the outside instead of their strap.
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

werc1
Hard Yaka

Postby werc1 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:50 am

thanks again.

to checkerheads point - I plan to only have this in the truck when going on a camping trip (e.g. for a weekend or a week), therefore not necessary to be WOF'd as it's not a permanent fixture to the truck. I plan to strap it into the load space and remove it each time I return along w/ my other gear.

It would be removable to move around at a campsite if required.

I would generally have it being used to run a 35L 3 way fridge, or other small items (e.g. charging other small gear (phones, etc if req'd).) again for short periods of time.

I haven't yet stopped by supercheap but from your recommendations I'll look elsewhere for a more durable solution.

Does any of this make sense...?

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:13 am

Ok, that makes a little more sense. Viewing it as a piece of camping gear rather than a part of the truck.

With your 3 way fridge. Have you run it on elec much before? My understanding is that a 3 way is about 10 times less efficient running on electricity compared to a dedicated 12/240 volt fridge. You only really run a 3 way on elec while you are driving, then switch over to gas when parked up. My little 28 liter dedicated 12/240 Wayco was only good for about 2 days with just the one battery.

So would you not be better to dedicate the space to an extra gas bottle, and add a couple of USB out lets in the back of you truck for charging purposes?
Supercharged VH45 Surf safari winch truck in the making
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33527&hilit=checker%2A

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:54 am

Checkerhead wrote:Ok, that makes a little more sense. Viewing it as a piece of camping gear rather than a part of the truck.

With your 3 way fridge. Have you run it on elec much before? My understanding is that a 3 way is about 10 times less efficient running on electricity compared to a dedicated 12/240 volt fridge. You only really run a 3 way on elec while you are driving, then switch over to gas when parked up. My little 28 liter dedicated 12/240 Wayco was only good for about 2 days with just the one battery.

So would you not be better to dedicate the space to an extra gas bottle, and add a couple of USB out lets in the back of you truck for charging purposes?

The one in our caravan states in the manual that on 12v, it sustains the current temperature, to cool it needs to be on gas or mains
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

ChurchurDan
Hard Yaka

Postby ChurchurDan » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:26 pm

Most 3 way fridges I have set up in campervans have a switched 12v input (ignition or D+ terminal on alternator) as well as 12v battery so that they automatically switch to 12v when the engine is running and back to gas when it is switched off. Run it on gas when camping as they don't use a lot of gas, some will run up to 30 days on a 9kg bottle but don't drive with it on gas.

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Postby MihiT » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:47 pm

Find the specs for the fridge. It should at least have wattage, or amps (and you can work out the other) take the amps and multiply by 70% of a "day" (unless it also specifies duty cycle, in which case multiply by that). With a solar panel attached a "day" is ~18hours as it should stay cold through the night.
Decent off grid ones will list amp hour days which simplifies the maths
Then look to your battery, auto battery will have crank amp ratings, deep cycles have amp hour ratings. Divide a by b and you have your answer as to how long it will last.

I am guessing the 3 way fridge is a silent absorbtion only type. If possible, sell it on trademe and buy a danfoss with a soft start compressor, they're heaps more efficient but can't run on gas.

The last time I looked at a gas fridge it was about 900g/day, too expensive to run continuosly!
- 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
- 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
1989 LWB 5-Seat parts hack. TD42

Return to “Tool Shed”