Demo derby advice?

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Demo derby advice?

Postby Checkerhead » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:49 pm

So my mate who used to co drive for me bought a couple of cars and now I'm driving in the demo derby at Baypark speed way on Saturday the 9th.

Any advice or words of warning from people who have done one before?

Also, very slim chance, anyone got a good neck brace for sale?
Supercharged VH45 Surf safari winch truck in the making
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33527&hilit=checker%2A

mudsurfv6
Hard Yaka

Re: Demo derby advice?

Postby mudsurfv6 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:35 pm

I've done a few, and ramp races.

depends what you want to achieve, some people try to avoid every car so they have a chance of being the last moving, defeats the purpose I reckon. hit every car you can and have fun is my idea. :D just think of your radiator and don't hit straight on if you can help it, try and use your front corners. not that easy when they wet the track to make it as slippery as they can.

you don't have much time to watch mirrors. try not to hit the concrete. try and dodge debris on the track because it might cut your tyres, which can be reasonably soft to try to grip.
1996 vzn185 surf, TRD supercharger, SAS, 35s, 4" lift, 2 lockers, ute chopped + more happening. Andrew 0272226292.

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:43 pm

Brace your door area as much as possible!

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:48 am

fill your tyres with grass or water this stops them popping, just thinking about it check the track rules I've noticed different places have different rules about a derby.... when I did it we were all parked up in the center of the track and it was a free for all, I've noticed the napier club its more of a banger race.... this is a major difference for me it was hook reverse and use the rear of the car as a ram protect the front so a simple thing such as having the spare wheel in the boot well secured is an advantage as it strengthens the ramming area if this is the case then don't forget to chain the boot lid down lol it pops up your blind
If its a banger race where you have to stay on the track and not use the oval you have to also go forward that means your smashing your rad into the rear of other cars..... if you want to win avoid everybody and stay on the inside, you can't get driven into the wall that way... if you are out there for carnage gently push people don't ram them, stay in the middle of the track and let people ram you they are taking them selves out lol anyone who comes up the outside of you force them into the wall lol and try not to get turned around and use dead cars as something to force people into

As for mods this depends on the track your racing at I would check to see if that tyre trick is allowed.... another is to plumb your motor back on its self instead of through the rad so the rad is just sitting there, put your cabin heater on with the fan at full it wont' last forever before it over heats, but it will last alot longer than a smashed rad and no coolant lol a tip to this system is to fit a header tank from a vehicle that had a closed or non pressure release rad you know the ones that have a presure rad cap this will allow the presure out when it starts to cook way better than a blown hose in the cab!!
Definitely add what ever safety cage protection bars they allow it is scary taking a "T" hit on the drivers door.... depending on the car this bar work can also strengthen the car
As for the welded diff.... this is one there are two sides too given how slick the track is this gives you a better chance of being able to move when you need to move, the flip side is its going to sledge your steering which is already marginal... I've never bothered

Oh and personally if your able have the option of having mon off work some times you get knocked around and the extra recovery day is real nice lol
Good luck

Sausager
Hard Yaka

Postby Sausager » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:21 am

Awesome advice here, love it!

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:44 pm

Thanks guys. Some good points in there.

The car will be 99% prepped when I get there (in theory) and I'll have Friday arvo to mess with it. Will look over your suggestions and see what I can achieve in an arvo.

Thanks.
Supercharged VH45 Surf safari winch truck in the making
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33527&hilit=checker%2A

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:55 pm

done one in a PB Vauxhall years ago at the glen............................good times ..think only thing we did was wire some linkages together.... either way ya in for some fun mate
v8 tj...luvs the gas......

kbjj
Sausage Shack

Postby kbjj » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:54 pm

Have a look at your wiring and make sure it can't get pinched or squashed easily, cut out what's not needed, indicators, brakes, lights etc. If you are keeping your radiator, cover front with shade cloth (behind grill) leaving a gap between shade cloth and radiator so air can get around it when it blocks up with mud, as they usually wet the track heaps to attempt to keep the speeds down. I hand cut "v"s across the tyres all the way to the steel belt every 40mm. Took a while but helped heaps
I like the grass in tyres idea. Maybe let all the air out then empty a can of filler foam into them, lol
Good luck, and have fun
If you break it... build it stronger.

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:59 pm

as a general rule, one of the two most common things stop you...
1. overheating
2. can no longer steer (ie broken steering link/suspension or similar, causing a front wheel to have a mind of its own)

sure you can get blocked in against the wall surrounded by dead cars, but generally by the time it gets to that stage, your car is suffering from either 1. or 2. (see above)
Another trick is, as cars die on the track, hide in front of them, and when a dude comes past the dead car, reverse into his front(radiator). He wont have time to stop.
Be aware if the track is muddy, a lot of mud can get flicked into your car, so i suggest a rag or two to keep your eye protection wiped. A person with poor vision will get blindsided real fast. They tend to water the track, to reduce traction, to reduce car speed, to reduce collision impacts.
All of the above... is in my humble opinion.

QUADRACER
Hard Yaka

Postby QUADRACER » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:38 am

use windscreen seal and bond tyres to rims.
worked on winch truck.
header tank front old scania up under dash.
if it an auto dis connect inhibitor switch or wire in loop.

cut or roll front guards so when they are hit they do not rip into tyres.
add mesh to front screen , but finer mesh where you veiw.
retired 4wd to a ford ranger and UTV

Kampfer
Bush Crasher

Postby Kampfer » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:38 pm

Don't do what my mate did and crash into the wall wiping out his car in The Jalopy races before he got to the demo derby.
First race out of 3, on the second lap. :roll:

Return to “Tool Shed”