Alternator issues

dvk-kp
Hard Yaka

Alternator issues

Postby dvk-kp » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:26 pm

Hi guys, went for a good play in the mud yesterday and had a great day.

Turns out the alternator didn't have so much fun and now it's buggered. I have a good one to put on but my question is, is there anything I could do to make them more resilient to the crap they go thru? I don't want to move it elsewhere in the engine bay, I'm thinking something easy like better quality electric stuff inside it or maybe some sort of spray on stuff (CRC Soft Seal??) to make it last a bit better?

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Big
Hard Yaka

Re: Alternator issues

Postby Big » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:22 pm

nothing you can do will help like that, what i did was screw some core flute board under along the chassis where it lives and cover as much so crap cannot go up around it( bit like a bash plate).. or make a ali sheet cover.. w/e will work. it just limits how much crap can get up in there..

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Postby MihiT » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:51 pm

I was looking at the same issue on my old man's landcruiser, the best solution I came across was tapping an air fitting into the casing so it's got positive pressure and blowing the worst of the crap out of the electrics.
- 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
- 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
1989 LWB 5-Seat parts hack. TD42

dvk-kp
Hard Yaka

Postby dvk-kp » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:23 am

Cool cheers guys. Will use both of these ideas to try make them last a bit longer.

MihiT, did you have air on ya truck so it was pressurised while out 4wding or just give it a blow out after every run when ya got home?

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Postby MihiT » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:19 am

dvk-kp wrote:MihiT, did you have air on ya truck so it was pressurised while out 4wding or just give it a blow out after every run when ya got home?

Haven't done it yet but the idea was tee off the electric compressor and small receiver (for air lockers) so it will constantly clear itself. The truck has already killed 2 alternators, Toyotas eh, who'd have them!
- 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
- 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
1989 LWB 5-Seat parts hack. TD42

dvk-kp
Hard Yaka

Postby dvk-kp » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:28 am

MihiT wrote:Haven't done it yet but the idea was tee off the electric compressor and small receiver (for air lockers) so it will constantly clear itself. The truck has already killed 2 alternators, Toyotas eh, who'd have them!

Oh yep, should work well I'd imagine. Maybe I need to get myself some air on my truck.

Haha don't blame Toyota... Mines a Mitsi and still done it. Blame the alternators!

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:00 pm

Is yours a 3.5 dvk? If so its a fact of life, that's the beauty of the 3.0 engine, far better placement. Mine costs me a couple of hundy every year or two, got pretty good at getting it out anyway.

If you have a body lift it can be moved and swapped with the power steering pump with a bit of work but I never did a lift so didn't bother.
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

dvk-kp
Hard Yaka

Postby dvk-kp » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:34 pm

Yep sure is a 3.5 NJ. Mounted down nice and low by the chassis :roll: . Gotta hold ya tongue just right to get it out as well.

Might look into swapping it with the PS pump at some stage, but for now I'll just grin and bear it. I have 3 alternators so will just run a rotation of rebuild and swap over when one fails. Will definatly try sheild it a bit tho.

Is it just the water that wrecks them or the slit and dirt etc that's doing the damage?

mudsurfv6
Hard Yaka

Postby mudsurfv6 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:42 pm

Could be a good excuse to get that white paj turned into a mud/trailer truck and use black one for towing & summer use. :D 8)

OR is it sold.
1996 vzn185 surf, TRD supercharger, SAS, 35s, 4" lift, 2 lockers, ute chopped + more happening. Andrew 0272226292.

dvk-kp
Hard Yaka

Postby dvk-kp » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:09 pm

mudsurfv6 wrote:Could be a good excuse to get that white paj turned into a mud/trailer truck and use black one for towing & summer use. :D 8)

OR is it sold.

Yea mate long gone! Good earner too. Black truck has got some new shoes now and they are super effective :D prime for winter conditions

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:25 pm

Its just the mud and slop thats the problem, water seems to be fine. Went through Dannevirke the other day heading for lunch at the Whangamomona pub.

dvk-kp
Hard Yaka

Postby dvk-kp » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:10 pm

NJV6 wrote:Its just the mud and slop thats the problem, water seems to be fine. Went through Dannevirke the other day heading for lunch at the Whangamomona pub.

That's good then, will make a sheild.

That's a long way from here! Way out in the sticks on the other side of the island. Hope the lunch was good. :)

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:35 pm

dvk-kp wrote:That's a long way from here! Way out in the sticks on the other side of the island. Hope the lunch was good. :)

Oh yea woops. Was geographically misplaced & thinking Tauramanui... Just a wee brain fart.

dvk-kp
Hard Yaka

Postby dvk-kp » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:42 pm

NJV6 wrote:Oh yea woops. Was geographically misplaced & thinking Tauramanui... Just a wee brain fart.

Ah yep makes more sense :lol:

Well got my new alternator fitted, there's not much clearance between the pulley and front of the alternator so bit of a challenge to make a sheild with what I've got here at home so will take the busted one to work and make one up.

Lots of holes in the front of the alt right behind the pulley so I'll get thos covered up... I figure the crap is going to be coming from the front :idea:

mudsurfv6
Hard Yaka

Postby mudsurfv6 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:27 pm

dvk-kp wrote:I figure the crap is going to be coming from the front

not sure where alt is in them, but could possibly also be mud thrown off front wheel? so from behind or above?
1996 vzn185 surf, TRD supercharger, SAS, 35s, 4" lift, 2 lockers, ute chopped + more happening. Andrew 0272226292.

dvk-kp
Hard Yaka

Postby dvk-kp » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:00 pm

mudsurfv6 wrote:
dvk-kp wrote:I figure the crap is going to be coming from the front

not sure where alt is in them, but could possibly also be mud thrown off front wheel? so from behind or above?

It's down next to the chassis, in front of the engine mount. Don't think it's coming from the wheel tho, there's only a small gap from the wheel well to engine bay and it's got a rubber flap over it. Will have another look tomorrow tho.

Return to “Tool Shed”