Electric Window Fault

cmvds
Winch master

Electric Window Fault

Postby cmvds » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:23 pm

I am hoping someone can help me out,
I’m trying to get my hands on a copy of an electric window wiring diagram and the plug pin outs for gen2 94 surf (VZN130) as I haven’t been able to find it on the net.
The problem I have is that the back passengers window (driver’s side) won’t wind down.
Now if I “hot wire” the window to get it down the factory switches work to wind it back up.
So I have proved that there is at least some power, the motor is good, the back switch is good.
I have even got a brand new master switch from Toyota that seems to now be an expensive paper weight as I still have the same issue.
So I am down to the wiring and I’m normally pretty good with electrical fixes but this one is doing my head in.
94 Gen 2, VZN130 Surf, 2" Lift, 31" Micky T's

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Re: Electric Window Fault

Postby MihiT » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:17 am

Not specific to the car, but you should be able to trace the wiring colours from the harness at each end. if there are 3 pins at your motor then it will be GND, FWD/up and REV/down.
If only two it's a bit trickier as the polarity is swapped for fwd/rev, if it IS two wire, then the issue you describe would be the ++ (fwd/up) shorting to earth. (When its +- (rev/down) the current path is normal/ as expected, when swapped it goes to ground rather than the motor)

Check for continuity from rear harness to master switch on all wires. if any are dud, check hinges and bits where it passes through metal for snapped/bent wires.

Check how it switches, whether its always hot at the door and just connects the motor at the switch, or whether the hot wire is cold until switched. (This will depend on kiddy lock too)
- 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
- 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
1989 LWB 5-Seat parts hack. TD42

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:27 am

Think you may find it is The copper contacts inside the switch on the rear passenger door....I say this as even when not in use the circuit from the master switch still uses the off or (at rest) contacts in the rear switch to transmit power to the window motor. So although both switches work fine independently of each other as you have discovered, master not the issue and back switch still has power to wind it up and has power through wiring to do so it will be the center contact on the switch being a double pole double throw switch.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

cmvds
Winch master

Postby cmvds » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:17 pm

Cheers for the thoughts guys, I will take another look at it.
94 Gen 2, VZN130 Surf, 2" Lift, 31" Micky T's

Return to “Tool Shed”