Air bag removal

aroma
Hard Yaka

Air bag removal

Postby aroma » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:53 am

Hi All
As part of my build I am planning on removing the air bags in my 97 Grand Cherokee, I do have the workshop manual but there are normally several ways to do these things.
if I cert it I believe it's all legal.
there are only 2 , one in the steering wheel and behind the passengers dash
what do the sensors look like??

I have been told I have to remove the air bag units and fill the void's with something , any ideas what, builder's expanding foam?
how do I get the fault code that comes up on the dash go away.

getting my head around this before I start and stuff it all up :?

Thanks
Warren

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Re: Air bag removal

Postby BlakeNZ » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:10 pm

I was of the understanding that as long as you remove the airbags, any wording that suggests to occupants that it has airbags, and the frontal sensors that trigger the airbag, then the airbag removal doesn't have to be certified.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:20 pm

Only certain vehicals can be certified for airbag removal

Following that, vehicles that can be certified for airbag removal must have all components of said system removed and any literature of such also removed.

If you can do it properly the WOF inspector can't prove it had airbags to start with so no issue with cert.

By properly remove all yellow dash loom steering wheel replaced including clock spring etc, all sensors and ECU. Any badges and labels referring to srs ....don't forget the bulb in the dash cluster ...yes they get that picky at cert time( or can be).

The only way you would get pinged for it after that is if the specific model you own all came with airbags as standard but due to our massive grey import market and the options fitted to said vehicle s( or lack off) that were originally destined for other markets it would be hard to prove it
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:22 pm

Hi Warren, a mate took his out of his 185 surf. Simply removed the airbags and bulb and then scratched out the SRS label on steering wheel and passenger glovebox and got cert. Also has a sticker applied to where the airbags were saying airbags have been removed.
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

Lchundy
Hard Yaka

Postby Lchundy » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:19 am

When I first took my truck for cert
He failed it on airbags and front seatbelts because they work together?
Ended up leaving all in because my truck doesn't have to meet frontal impact laws which I had to prove.
Custom front bar was reason for removing air bags,if I had a arb/tjm/xrox etc... front bar would of been fine.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:09 am

Yep...it all has to swapped out including pre tensioning seat belts for normal retractable ones etc....forgot to mention that bit
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

aroma
Hard Yaka

Postby aroma » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:56 pm

Cheers guys
may have to have a longer more in depth talk to a cert person,
this is getting harder by the day ...............................
Maybe I should of just waited for an XJ ................................................................................

Lchundy
Hard Yaka

Postby Lchundy » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:49 pm

Easy option but probably not the cheapest would be fitting air bag approved front bar.
Then you can leave the air bags there.

aroma
Hard Yaka

Postby aroma » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:14 pm

where is the fun in leaving as is :wink:
I had an end vehicle in mind when I bought it, and apparently I need a project to get me out of the hose from time to time .........

a turfor could be a cheaper /easier option ............................ :mrgreen:
will have a serious think over the weekend, but may need a drink to get the thinking machine working properly
stay tuned

Return to “Tool Shed”