Winches

Tumor
Hard Yaka

Winches

Postby Tumor » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:26 pm

Looking at buying a Runva 8.0xs 8000 lb 12v winch for a Suzuki SJ 413. http://www.winch.co.nz/winches/80xs-12v-rock-crawl-winch-dyneema

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this specific winch?
My cousin has an 11xp 11000lb winch on his solid axle swapped vitara on 36 inch simexs and loves it.
Ln106. 2.8TD 35s, RUF, 4.5 diff ratios, 2003 HiLux leafs in rear...... plenty of flex
Life is better off-road

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Re: Winches

Postby mudlva » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:03 pm

thats a little rock crawling winch with only 14m of rope. just enough to leave you 1m to short to reach the tree.....
similar money get the ewx9500 http://www.winch.co.nz/categories/4x4-c ... on-winches

good pulling speed with little load and still pulls strong when required and 26m of rope

jm2cw

floatingkiwi
Hard Yaka

Postby floatingkiwi » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:12 pm

I have some 9000Lb 2 -speed winches coming soon with synthetic rope, 28m of it. plus remote that can be wired into cab. PM me if you're interested!
1999 KZN185W SSRG TJM T-15 Bar, Tigerz11 2speed winch, 2" EFS sus lift, 265-75R16 Engine guardian. Auberins EGT. LED light strips. weathertech cargo liner. Safari Snorkle SS145HF. Prado rad. Front and rear E-locker.

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:04 pm

Tumor wrote:Looking at buying a Runva 8.0xs 8000 lb 12v winch for a Suzuki SJ 413. http://www.winch.co.nz/winches/80xs-12v-rock-crawl-winch-dyneema

My cousin has an 11xp 11000lb winch on his solid axle swapped vitara on 36 inch simexs and loves it.

Dad has a 9.5XS Runva (same as a the 8.0 with a short drum and all, just more pulling power) and it has served us well for the limited time we've had it. We have it on a winch tray that slots in to a 2" receiver, so we can use it from and rear when need be while keeping it out of the mud and grit. After a 50-80m winch up a v-notch up Slab Hill track the hottest thing on it was the Anderson plugs we have on it so that it can be removed/attached (However we are running 50mm2 wire on it rather than the stock 32mm2 (I think) power wires meaning less resistance). Dad did also happen to unfortunately drop the winch before we ever used it (during the mounting process) so while repairing the end cap we replaced the bearings with better sealing ones. From what I've heard from others is that when you buy a Runva you'll either get a good one or a rubbish one.... just something to bear in mind.
'The Big Truck' - 2001 TD5 Disco II
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco
'The Caramel Trophy Truck" - 1990 Disco Ex-Camel Trophy (?)

Tumor
Hard Yaka

Postby Tumor » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:16 pm

Crawlerer79 wrote:
Tumor wrote:Looking at buying a Runva 8.0xs 8000 lb 12v winch for a Suzuki SJ 413. http://www.winch.co.nz/winches/80xs-12v-rock-crawl-winch-dyneema

Dad has a 9.5XS Runva (same as a the 8.0 with a short drum and all, just more pulling power) and it has served us well for the limited time we've had it. We have it on a winch tray that slots in to a 2" receiver, so we can use it from and rear when need be while keeping it out of the mud and grit. After a 50-80m winch up a v-notch up Slab Hill track the hottest thing on it was the Anderson plugs we have on it so that it can be removed/attached (However we are running 50mm2 wire on it rather than the stock 32mm2 (I think) power wires meaning less resistance). Dad did also happen to unfortunately drop the winch before we ever used it (during the mounting process) so while repairing the end cap we replaced the bearings with better sealing ones. From what I've heard from others is that when you buy a Runva you'll either get a good one or a rubbish one.... just something to bear in mind.

Thanks for that. Ill keep that in mind.
Ln106. 2.8TD 35s, RUF, 4.5 diff ratios, 2003 HiLux leafs in rear...... plenty of flex
Life is better off-road

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:41 pm

Tumor wrote:Thanks for that. Ill keep that in mind.

Sweet, there's also a couple things I forgot to mention haha

mudlva wrote:thats a little rock crawling winch with only 14m of rope. just enough to leave you 1m to short to reach the tree.....

This is so true, with a short drum winch, every single tree is always just a touch too far away.

Something to bear in mind Tumor. However, for a couple hundred bucks we bought an extension (a metre shorter than the the length of the rope when the winch is at the minimum number of winds on the drum). We bought a replacement rope from Runva and then got Bridon Cookes to shorten and knot it to how we were after. Not as cheap as a standard winch extension but then you get every single metre out of it.

mudlva wrote:similar money get the ewx9500

But that is a whole heap heavier.... and extra 7kgs (30% ish)

The big plus of this winch is it's weight.... not something that matteres on a big comp Safari but on a Zook you really notice anything extra.... the fat testing officer I had during my restricted basically killed mine :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

Tumor
Hard Yaka

Postby Tumor » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:28 pm

Dad has a 9.5XS Runva (same as a the 8.0 with a short drum and all, just more pulling power) and it has served us well for the limited time we've had it. We have it on a winch tray that slots in to a 2" receiver, so we can use it from and rear when need be while keeping it out of the mud and grit.

Have you got any pics of that removable set-up? Sounds interesting and starting to consider that as an option.
Life is better off-road

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:53 pm

Tumor wrote:Have you got any pics of that removable set-up? Sounds interesting and starting to consider that as an option.

I'll get some for you when the Rangie's out. Just bear in mind you have to run cables the full length of the chassis (larger diameter as well as you get more resistance over a longer length). We ran 50mm2 cables which you can pick up cheapest from a welding supplier as cable to run the huge welders.... soooooo much cheaper than buying it for automotive use even tho they're identical. It's just the name. 50mm2 welding cable is about the same price as 32mm2 automotive cable (from memory)!!!!!
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

Tumor
Hard Yaka

Postby Tumor » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:57 pm

Crawlerer79 wrote:
Tumor wrote:Have you got any pics of that removable set-up? Sounds interesting and starting to consider that as an option.

I'll get some for you when the Rangie's out. Just bear in mind you have to run cables the full length of the chassis (larger diameter as well as you get more resistance over a longer length). We ran 50mm2 cables which you can pick up cheapest from a welding supplier as cable to run the huge welders.... soooooo much cheaper than buying it for automotive use even tho they're identical. It's just the name. 50mm2 welding cable is about the same price as 32mm2 automotive cable (from memory)!!!!!

Thanks.
Life is better off-road

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:14 am

Tumor wrote:
Crawlerer79 wrote:

Thanks.

I ordered cable for mine on ebay, 1/2 the price of the welding places.
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:27 am

wjw wrote:I ordered cable for mine on ebay, 1/2 the price of the welding places.

Oops, guess Dad shoulda tryed that then. I'll know for when it's my turn :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:41 am

Tumor wrote:
Dad has a 9.5XS Runva (same as a the 8.0 with a short drum and all, just more pulling power) and it has served us well for the limited time we've had it. We have it on a winch tray that slots in to a 2" receiver, so we can use it from and rear when need be while keeping it out of the mud and grit.

Have you got any pics of that removable set-up? Sounds interesting and starting to consider that as an option.

Better late than never!

'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

Return to “Tool Shed”