Soft Shocks

oldblue
Hard Yaka

Soft Shocks

Postby oldblue » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:26 pm

What is the softest Brand of Rear Shocks for a KZJ-71 ?
I have fitted HD Chamberlin Rear Springs matched up with Munro shocks, caravan in tow and a power chair in the back, it's a very hard ride when not carrying any weight.
Is there a soft shock that I can fit with out going to costly adjustable's.
"Oldblue" Electric to Manual Hub Conversion's 03 5447586

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Re: Soft Shocks

Postby Crash bandicoot » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:54 am

That's the nature of the spring at work not the shock.

Softer shocks won't give a better ride less spring tension will. Remove a leaf and get longer hangers to compensate
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:22 am

If it was me I'd run airbags up the centre of the rear coils and use softer springs.
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

oldblue
Hard Yaka

Postby oldblue » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:54 pm

I did that to the standard coils before fitting HD Coils, but found that with 110Kg of loading on the towball and a 160KG power chair in the rear I needed so much pressure in the bags that one started to leak. I thought that fitting softer shocks it may stop that hardness when going over bolders etc.

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:13 pm

O right, your chair is heavy! A friend of mine has the adjustable rancho's in the rear of his kzj78. I have Munro's in the front of my Pajero and happy enough with them. Its soft enough on bumps but still a bit 'harsh' on small bumps, i don't know if this is due to the shock or just the suspension geometry. Given my current model one does the same I suspect its the geometry.
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

oldblue
Hard Yaka

Postby oldblue » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:47 pm

I may have to go the Rancho Adjustable so if any one has a pair of ranchos to fit the rear of a 1993 Prado let me know. :D

drive it ...
Hard Yaka

Postby drive it ... » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:29 pm

Got new pair of 4" lift springs from KJ78 and used pr ranchos 9000's. I found these too soft in the LWB (bottoming out when carrying full load of camping gear or 4 people with tramping packs up the Clyde, etc). Might be better in the SWB? Springs are new 'cause I thought the ones in it might have lost the steel temper, but made no difference so I put the old ones back in. 460mm long, 10 coils, 17mm wire. Shocks were a touch long, had to pack bumpstops down 25mm.

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:19 pm

Interesting you should post this right now :D :D

I have just swapped out my factory adjustable shocks on my daily driver KZJ71 for a set of the yellow Munro 4x4 adventure shocks and I am bitterly disappointed.

The compression damping/valving on the shocks is all wrong for an unloaded vehicle on stock springs (with coil spacers) Its turned my plush riding little Land Cruiser into a LJ80 Suzuki on cart springs!!!!
They are probably fine if your cruisers got a load in the back and a bar and winch on the front, but on a lightweight daily driver they don't work :( :(

If I could find some Rancho RS5000's for it I would have gone with them, but doesn't seem that they do them for the odd ball front end arrangement.
I'm currently researching the comfort range in these:
http://www.ironman4x4.com/category-prod ... -absorbers

I have emailed off the NZ web site earlier in the week but not heard back..............
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

Return to “Tool Shed”