Turbo timer wiring

Sausager
Hard Yaka

Turbo timer wiring

Postby Sausager » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:47 pm

Hey guys. I have recently bought a KZJ95w prado with the 1kz. It has a turbo timer installed, but doesn't seem to be working correctly. It has an "on/off" button on it which I figure is to choose whether or not to use to TT. If I turn it OFF while the car is running, then the motor will immediately stop even if they key is still "ON". I also won't be able to start the car until the TT is switched back ON. I want to have the option of usnig the TT or not, but want to still be able to use my car if I switch it off! I also don't want to be flying down the motorway at 100kmph and then accidentally hit the OFF button, because the car will stop and probably blow the auto.

Does this have to do with how it is wired in? Or am I expecting too much out of the TT unit?

Cheers

Sausager
Hard Yaka

Re: Turbo timer wiring

Postby Sausager » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:52 pm

Blue, red, yellow and black wires coming out of the back of it.

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Postby MihiT » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:06 pm

It sounds as though the TT is wired into a relay on the main hot feed (fuel solenoid, if diesel). Unfortunately with so few wires (red=control/out, blu=on/trigger in, ylw=memory, is my guess) your options are probably limited, but I *think*, if I've got it straight in my head, running a hot wire in parrallel, or 2 relays in parrallel (one controlled by key, one by the TT) should get you where you want to be.
- 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
- 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
1989 LWB 5-Seat parts hack. TD42

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:06 pm

it is wired in incorrectly.
"OFF" should only switch the truck off when the key has already been shut off.

Sausager
Hard Yaka

Postby Sausager » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:21 pm

Cheers for the replies guys

What's my solution? All wiring diagrams for installing TTs that I see online all seem to be a basic 3 or 4 wire install. I guess some TTs would have all of that sort of thing built in?

Out of curiosity, what would happen in an auto if the motor switched off while travelling 100kmph?

sirLachlan
Hard Yaka

Postby sirLachlan » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:36 pm

Nothing happens . It's no different than decelerating . Most petrols fully cut fuel on decel so it's no different than cuthing spark . Or fuel in a diesel

Try it with the key . The lights will go off then back on and engine will carry on like normal

From the sounds of it the 'on' wire had been cut and joined to the tt . Where as it should have been left intact and spliced into .

Thus your 'on' only recieves power through the tt . Where as it should receive it from the key and then still be fed from the tt once the key is off

Return to “Tool Shed”