Brakes and fluid

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Brakes and fluid

Postby mudlva » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:50 pm

So here i am again trying to sort out rusty brakes etc.

So got to thinking....
On my bushy which generally dont travel at any real speed i was thinking that if i ran with antifreeeze instead of brake fluid....
It would be friendly to the rubbers etc at a guess and as fluid dont compress it should function alright......
Thinking along the lines that at least anything the antifreeze contacts with will be protected by the rust inhibitor that is used in it?????

Thoughts?????

ChurchurDan
Hard Yaka

Re: Brakes and fluid

Postby ChurchurDan » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:16 pm

What bits are getting rusty? If it is wheel cylinders or calipers get the resleeved in stainless.
I think you would find the boiling point of anti freeze to be to low and even moderate used would cause bad brake fade.

Cameron
Hard Yaka

Postby Cameron » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:18 am

should see if Citroen LHM would work. I've always wanted to give it a go in normal brakes.
It's a mineral oil with glycol in it IIRC. So wouldn't have he same corrision issues as normal brake fluid.
it's used in active hydraulic suspensions in citroen/rolls royce/maserati among others, and also in the high pressure brakes of some of those too. also braking systems of a lot of tractors.
I'd donate ya a couple of litres to try if you're game! (I buy it by the 20 :roll: )

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:58 am

Cameron wrote:should see if Citroen LHM would work. I've always wanted to give it a go in normal brakes.
It's a mineral oil with glycol in it IIRC. So wouldn't have he same corrision issues as normal brake fluid.
it's used in active hydraulic suspensions in citroen/rolls royce/maserati among others, and also in the high pressure brakes of some of those too. also braking systems of a lot of tractors.
I'd donate ya a couple of litres to try if you're game! (I buy it by the 20 :roll: )

Where are you??
Qhats the worst it could do.....

Haha famous last words there ah

Take into account that as a bushy i would not think my brakes would get overly hot cause if they did it would dry everything out and not leave it all damp as it is atm.

hamishh
Bush Crasher

Postby hamishh » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:24 pm

Just be careful if you do go from the notmal dot brake fluid to mineral brake oil as the two do not mix well at all amd will destroy all the seals in the brake system, i have seen on a few tractors in workshop that if they have not read they need mineral oil and put dot in it does not tale long to add up to a 5k repair bill, obvioufly your truck would be cheaper but you get the idea :D

Cameron
Hard Yaka

Postby Cameron » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:04 am

I'm in Feildign but can decant you some and send it. PMme ya address

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:10 am

Ok on going excersize here.
Got told that im approaching it wrong.
Its not the fluid thats the problem but the mud on the outside combined with lack on road ks to dry the mud out.. make sense.
So ive flooded the pistons with lanolin and will see how that helps.
Been wheeling over the break and brakes seem to be all good... so will monitor and report back later in a month or two.

Cheers for the ideas and info

Return to “Tool Shed”