Modifying a Runva winch?

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Modifying a Runva winch?

Postby De-Ranged » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:35 pm

Its about time to start thinking about the winch for the toy
I'm looking at building what ever I buy into a comp winch in the long term (twin motors and a bigger drum) so I want something with a lower gearing number to make this worthwhile... but in the meantime I want to just biff it at the trials truck in stock form while I build up the bits to play with it
I know everyone who is serious plays with the 8274 and yes I would like one but I'm not buying a new one at that price and second hand ones just don't show up often enough
This brings me to other options namely the Runva EWX9500Q, the gearing ratio is good and its a grunty motor and I've been told the quality is alot better than the early units (different brake setup and better seals)
The catch is the one that I've seen apart was an early one and was a while ago (failing memory lol) so I'm after a little advice

Is the drum part of the brake ?
Is the input from the motor going to cause issues converting it to a sprocket to work off belt drive
Any other issues ?

I'd rather not buy the winch and find out I shouldn't have lol

kbushnz
Hard Yaka

Re: Modifying a Runva winch?

Postby kbushnz » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:38 pm

I wouldn't bother converting an electric winch to run of another form of drive.
Get a PTO winch unit.
Typically electric winch brakes are a weak point.
PTO does not need a brake... The worm takes care of that. Easy to freespool too.
Good unit is the Novawin from Force4, Has freespool built in.. Just change the way to drive it and you are off and running.

or if you are committed to running electric twin motor, spend the money and buy off the shelf. Will be cheaper and more reliable in the long run.
Cheers Calvin
KZJ78 Landcruiser Prado...

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:29 pm

lol yes I would agree with you about pto if I wasn't running a transaxle buggy..... and yes I have considered options like driving off the crank mechanically off the front of the crank pulley with a clutch setup, or mounting a drive off the starter motor drive ring, these all sound simple but in reality they are alot of funky engineering some of it creating issues for reliability

Compared to profile cutting a mounting plate assembly to hold two electric motors and setting up to run a toothed belt drive.... and its proven in competition.... hell since posting this thread I've found that Winch.co.nz sell a kit to do just this (waiting on price as not advertised lol)

as for buying off the shelf lol where is the fun in that.... if I was that boring I would never have joined ORE or started a business modifying vehicles

The more I consider this the more I think I'm better to keep an eye out for an 8274 as it is easy to build them into what I want and there is alot of parts availability

kbushnz
Hard Yaka

Postby kbushnz » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:20 am

Ahhaha didnt realise you had advanced man cave skills. Yeah I love a challenge too....
But sometimes the path of least resistance ends up being the best.
Will be interesting to see your results.

You get the odd 8274 pop up from time to time.
Also toyota high mount.
I was lucky enough to score an 8074 (has no freespool unit)

Calvin
Cheers Calvin

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:31 pm

everyone wants those old warn 8274s, they end up going for big money on trademe. I saw a 1974(year) model go for $1200 from memory, a box of 8274 parts for $600.
I've seen a "TWO UP" kit (i think it was called) made/marketed in NZ, which effectively mounts two motors up top, out of the slosh, like a warn 8274, but i hadn't considered the differences in braking mechanisms.
I think from memory a new 8274 was around $2200US when i looked about a couple years ago (freight would be the killer). This one is $1900 https://www.amazon.com/WARN-38631-M8274 ... B0002Z9T0A

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:34 pm

Been stewing this all day ...

KBushnz suggestion is looking to be the best

heres a basic run down on the options bear in mind I want 50m of 12mm rope and comp speed and power

8274 or toyota hi mount
+ pros proven comp winner and reliable, parts to do what I want off the shelf (Gigglepin4x4.net), motor options the best including cheap low current hp motor
- cons motors drive directly to gears so no ability to run a toothed belt to tune speed, cost $4310+, rest of the winch is second hand with what ever issues that brings lol
Second hand winch $600-800 (might have found one), The twin motor mount and gearing $1250, two new motors $550 (better option than miss-matched motors), widened drum and mounting kit $850 (has the free spool spline on the end of the drum I could build this but for what I save not worth the hassle) and solenoid $110 now for the kicker somewhere between $550 and $750 in freight and possible customs fees when it lands lol

Runva EWX9500-Q
+ pro's New, can do a 2up motor off shelf (but this leaves the brake standard), comes with rope etc, motors are the biggest rated ones 6.8hp, can run the toothed belt to allow me to run off the shelf pulleys to tune
- con's without being mean they are cheaper and there is a corresponding issue with reliability, by far and away the most work involved to get it to a level I want and time in my shop is very limited!
New Winch $900, an extra motor $350, 2up motor mounting kit $1500 (ex Aus, now this doesn't sort the brake or the drum), for me to do a two up mount with a toothed belt $550 (this includes alloy profiles cut, three pulleys, belt, belt tensioner and another $100 worth of seals bolts etc), Wider drum with standard brake removed and a new brake setup off a 8724 on the input shaft $650 ($340 for the new brake, $40 for the materials for the drum and the rest on the shaft and heat treating) so $2450 for an all new two motor winch

PTO twin electric motor powered
+ pro's Strong, simple (keyways instead of splines), don't need to make the drum bigger, best brake of the lot, cost $1590
- con's Weight, slower power out speed (this can be a positive)
Second hand cruiser PTO $400, two 6hp Ramsey winch motors $400 delivered (off ebay catch is they only have a 2100 rpm fee running speed), solenoids $140 delivered (ebay again lol) motor mounts and gearing $650 (need a larger input pulley and as they get bigger they get expensive)

I'll wait till I get the reply from Winch.co.nz I maybe wrong about the work involved in the runva, but its safe to say I'm too cheap to go down the 8274 path lol

Thanks for the suggestion kbushnz

kbushnz
Hard Yaka

Postby kbushnz » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:48 pm

No problem.
Also look at Force4 and Phil Clark...http://www.force4.co.nz/products-2/novawin-winches/
They have some good comp proven products.
If you go the PTO way his Novawin PTO unit will be a good option as it has freespool already in the design.
And has a big drum.
Better than a used Nissan or toyota and the prices are good.
But if you have some coin......http://www.force4.co.nz/products-2/red-winches/
Would give gigglepin a run for its money.
Cheers Calvin

Mattrade
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattrade » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:30 am

Found this on the Web. Your skills could pull this off. U can get aftermarket overdrive gears to fit in stock case too.
Attachments
steveswinch4.jpg
tophousing.JPG

keithal
Hard Yaka

Postby keithal » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:42 pm

Mattrade wrote:Found this on the Web. Your skills could pull this off. U can get aftermarket overdrive gears to fit in stock case too.

Is that not just a twin motor warn?

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:43 pm

It is the first one that Gigglepin built and yes it is a twin motor 8274

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:38 pm

A wee update the price was too good lol
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1281079898

I'm not waiting for the runva info lol I'm going electric PTO

Will throw the details up on my truck build thread
http://www.offroadexpress.kiwi/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=46390&p=462125#p462125

Return to “Tool Shed”