pto driven hydraulic winch

skidmark
Hard Yaka

pto driven hydraulic winch

Postby skidmark » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:45 pm

i have a silly idea to want to mount a midmount hydraulic winch to me surf(the term surf is quite vague in this instance...)
for a couple of reasons- bigger drum, more pull, maybe speed not essential tho.

now i dont currently have the option of a pto drive but have a plan to utilise some cruiser bits and pieces and think i can squeeze all this in..

now my questions. Has anyone used a pto drive for hydraulics through a toyota auto? my concerns are on pto output speed.( be same rpm as cruiser if my plan works) obviusly could just hook 3rd gear and feed it, but how do you try and winch and drive?
or just rely on winch to drag you through..

cheers Alistair
modified surf, hardly drive it seem to keep modifying it....

kbushnz
Hard Yaka

Re: pto driven hydraulic winch

Postby kbushnz » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:56 pm

Talk to Phil Clarke at Force 4 in auckland. He runs a hydraulic winch from an auto landcruiser.
Cheers Calvin
KZJ78 Landcruiser Prado...

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:00 pm

yes this is true! Didnt think to ask Phil.good bugga he is...

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:31 pm

1st thing you need to confirm is if your auto can take a auto? If its running a early prado then possibly yes. If not then you will need to look at driving off the crank pully. Or doing serious mods to auto rear tail output shaft into transfur box. Off hand there is a set up where a 2nd transfur box is bolted to 1st and use that as pto drive. Think that is what the god winches use as power supply.
Once you have sourced your power supply then every else is all maths and gearing to achieve what you want.

mudtroll
Hard Yaka

Postby mudtroll » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:45 pm

As already suggested, talk to Phil. Can get very complicated engaging the pto in an auto.

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:44 pm

Just thinkin....
If youve got the mid to late 80's l.c. auto theres a good chance of running a pto.

The l.c. auto has a small brake fitted into it to stop the trans from rotating whislt engageing gears whilst transfur box is disconnected. This unit would suit any pto set up.

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:52 pm

currently have Lexus auto with surf transfercase, which we all know has no pto drive... I have a plan which envoles some cutting and welding or plan b is a prado case but offset drive.
plan a is to make a 70 series pto fit, so gear ratios should be similar to a factory prado set up.

more curious if the standard rpm range is usable or do you need to run a step up box similar to tractor ptos?

as for engagement, I was planning to most likely run air set up, and have to remember to engage before shifting transfer to neutral.

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:08 am

skidmark wrote:currently have Lexus auto with surf transfercase, which we all know has no pto drive... I have a plan which envoles some cutting and welding or plan b is a prado case but offset drive.
plan a is to make a 70 series pto fit, so gear ratios should be similar to a factory prado set up. [color=#FF0000]a. biggest thoughts here are around the fact that landcruiser transfer box input shafts had an allowance to accommodate the pto drive gear. if your trans box has a spacer around 1.5" long then you are quids in, if not then source a mid 80's lc40, 60, 70, trans box or a complete lc 60 or 70 auto and box and mate that to your motor. just depends on what works out easier. [/color]

more curious if the standard rpm range is usable or do you need to run a step up box similar to tractor ptos? [color=#FF0000]A. yes i ran a 3-1 step up gear box which works mint. allow for 1st gear winching at good flow for winch and drive combined.[/color]

as for engagement, I was planning to most likely run air set up, and have to remember to engage before shifting transfer to neutral.
[color=#FF0000]A. yes by engaging pto before taking transfer box out allows for pump resistance to stop fluid motion rotating gears in transmission. this stops the issue of turning off motor to re engage transfer box which without the resistance from the pump you would normally have to do. [/color]

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:16 am

yes there is a collar or spacer that joins the out put from auto to input of transfer that by memory is about 60-70mm long. this is where I was planning to fit the drive gear.

magic, I'll add a 3-1 box to my list of items to collect. I was thinking that would be the case to allow the drive winch combo.

cheers
alistair

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:32 am

Yes my advice was that yes i could flow 80 tp 100ltrs at 700rpm i could not get enough pressure.
As flow is drum rotation which is then directly linked to rope speed.
Pressure is winch motor pulling power. More pressure equals more pull.
Im flowing around 85 to 110ltrs/m and std winching sits around 1500 to 2000psi. With relief set at 3300. At 3000pd ive just about flipped a hilux length wise as the bar dug in and started to rotate around the bar to recovery hook distance. Only let off as thought 3g was getting a bit much and wondered down to see what the prob was.

Funny as fartin in a spa pool to be honest. The other driver seamed a bit shakin tho :shock:

Anyways headin in right direction. Don kyatts (in manukau) should be able to source a pto gear for the t.box.

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:15 pm

yea magic thanks for your help. that's the kinda thing i want.. shes a bit of a heavy cow, but I think the added weight of a hydro winch be more beneficial than not having it. also have a pto gear already one of our local suppliers had them listed as spare parts .

Return to “Tool Shed”