Prado - Southland Vehicle Project

pouw
Hard Yaka

Prado - Southland Vehicle Project

Postby pouw » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:17 am

Hi guys

Been a while but have just purchased a low mileage (296k) 96 Prado - or as I discovered last night a 90 series Landcruiser.

I am looking to over time modify the vehicle, not for mud bogging/bashing, but more as a trail, fishing, touring and camping vehicle and for my wife, 4 year old and myself. This will also be my daily driver, but I am not bothered about scratches.

The first thing I will do this week is put 4 new tyres on it - I am torn between AT and MT, I have had both and I know the differences, hum, grip, traction etc but interested on feedback (from people who have them) on the following tyres as comparable or maybe a few alternatives bearing in mind my budget for the tyres is $1200 excluding balancing and alignment etc. I would also like to stick mainstream if possible, nothing against tyres like Goodride as I have had them, would just prefer to stick mainstream.

MT - Goodyear Wrangle Duratrac or Bridgestone Dueler MT674
AT - Bridgestone Dueler A/T 697 or something el

I will stick with the standard rims on the truck and the tyres are 265/75/R16

Second thing I will do is get a snorkel installed - does anyone know of someone in Southland who does this? I am in Invercargill. My understanding is that being the diesel the snorkel goes on the left side of the vehicle and for the one I am looking at, the indicator may have to be moved forward.

Other plans include a bar (maybe front and rear), UHF, roof cage, drawer system, fishing rod holders and anything else the budget and time allows.

Thanks for the advice in advance :)
1986 2.5L TD Pajero

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Re: Prado - Southland Vehicle Project

Postby Petemcc » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:50 pm

We run duratrac on all our utes at work as an aggressive MT. get about 70,000km out of them and they are great on the road. Heaps more road (and off road of course) grip than the standard road tyres that come on the utes when new.

Love them

pouw
Hard Yaka

Postby pouw » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:21 am

Petemcc wrote:We run duratrac on all our utes at work as an aggressive MT. get about 70,000km out of them and they are great on the road. Heaps more road (and off road of course) grip than the standard road tyres that come on the utes when new.

Love them

Awesome, thanks for the feedback mate.
1986 2.5L TD Pajero

Clint
Hard Yaka

Postby Clint » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:22 pm

I got some Hankook RT03 MT's as they are a fairly close pattern for an MT - so probably a good option if you want to split the difference between an AT & an MT. They were fairly cheap, handle well on the road, not too rowdy & are wearing well so far.

Cheers
Clint
UZJ71 Landcruiser
Jeep J20 - 1UZ-FE powered (part owner)
KTM 640

If it breaks, build it stronger.
If it doesn't break, drive it harder.

pouw
Hard Yaka

Postby pouw » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:33 pm

Clint wrote:I got some Hankook RT03 MT's as they are a fairly close pattern for an MT - so probably a good option if you want to split the difference between an AT & an MT. They were fairly cheap, handle well on the road, not too rowdy & are wearing well so far.

Cheers
Clint

Thanks mate, I have actually settled on some cheaper tyres as I only do roughly 4-5000 km a year in this wagon though that will increase as I set it up for touring.

I bought 5 x 265/75/16 Goodride MTs for $970 fitted and $82 for an alignment. Have had them before and they were pretty good actually so seemed like a good way to save a bit of money to have the snorkel installed etc.
1986 2.5L TD Pajero

Return to “Tool Shed”