2.4 Surf white smoke on startup

Fusion235
Driver/Navigator

2.4 Surf white smoke on startup

Postby Fusion235 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:57 pm

HI just a noob query, I just got hold of a manual 2LTE 2.4 surf , 217kms, new head, injectors recond, recond diesel pump/seals, new radiator,cambelt, waterpump etc etc the works - Truck blows no smoke under load & drives great ( for a 2.4....), which I would probably account to the clean injectors, but blows a few puffs of white smoke on startup, seems to clear up once your on your way - Any ideas what this is? Should I perhaps swap out with a new set of glow plugs? Or is there something else with the engine i should look at.

Lynx
Hard Yaka

Re: 2.4 Surf white smoke on startup

Postby Lynx » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:23 pm

What does it smell like?

Cheers Daniel

Fusion235
Driver/Navigator

Postby Fusion235 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:18 am

Heya, well it doesn't smell sweet at all, - from what I understand burnt coolant has a distinctive sweet odour to it, this has a fuel kinda smell to it, it isn't bad and clears up shortly after starting and you don't see anything after that but I always like to get ontop of problems before they become troublesome.

tweake
Hard Yaka

Postby tweake » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:00 pm

probably glows but also can be timing issues or combustion problems.
check the glow rail is getting voltage. the glows are ecu controlled and sometimes the ecu can pack up and glows won't work. if it has voltage check the glow plugs them selves.
if all ok it could be air in pump, which throws timing out.

tomsoffroad
Flopsie

Postby tomsoffroad » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:53 am

My 60 blow white smoke for a few second on the first start of the day. Only does it when ambiant temp is low. I put it down to condensation in the exhaust :mrgreen:

Fusion235
Driver/Navigator

Postby Fusion235 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:27 pm

I changed out the glowplugs, seems a tad better but still does it, what I am also getting now is a misfire which feels like on one cylinder, and I am getting now greyish/white smoke for 20-30 seconds and engine a little shaky until then, then it goes fine - it def isnt steam/coolant at all, I have also out of interest, let it go cold and I took off the radiator cap and started the motor, no coolant splashes out or any bubbles just sits there nicely and its nice fresh green colour, engine oil is nice & clean too, fitted a new air filter today which also hasnt helped. If you leave it for say 3-4 hours after using it, it will only give you a couple of quick puffs and one or two misfires and then be fine. - Should I get it compression tested maybe or could this be a sticky injector/air in fuel line maybe. Car runs beautifully after 30 seconds and you can run it flat tack up the Ngauranga gorge in wellington and get no smoke whatsoever out the back.

Fusion235
Driver/Navigator

Postby Fusion235 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:34 pm

Forgot to mention one of the plugs was a bit knaff when I tested it, but they are getting the juice to do their thing..Swapped out all of them anyway as a shotgun approach

tweake
Hard Yaka

Postby tweake » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:42 pm

try pumping the fuel primer when its cold. se how many pumps it takes before it goes hard.

also disconnect the breather hose after you shut it off for the night. see if it still blows smoke in the morning.

Return to “Diesel Engines and Modifications”