Diesel engine maintanence

nizute
Hard Yaka

Re: Diesel engine maintanence

Postby nizute » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:07 am

Look mate i have been in the trade awhile and am a qualified mechanic and engine builder i am not saying you are wrong and i am right but if i were you don't believe everything you get handed when the crap hits the fan you won't be able to get anyone to be accountable without the threat of legal action.
But back to the point of good servicing my intervals isn't the best but it works for me and the number one cause of engine failure in my experience is engine cooling system, so change your oil as often as you can with a good quality oil and keep your cooling system in good condition and you will be fine!!!!

Escudo boy
Hard Yaka

Postby Escudo boy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:33 am

nizute wrote:What do you call the first service they did a "free" check @ 3000 then did the 10.000km and charged $750 we did the 20.000km and charged $250

So i would like to hear your service intervall for you average car user and what oil to use and retail cost on that seeing as you are " in " the know?
My opinion and what i was saying about service is the best someone can afford and keep your baby in good nick it not the "best"service schedule but it works

I want to be clear I'm quoting this to help Prado_boon, not to further wind you up, even though I am enjoying it

I used the lube guide on the Castrol web site to get a recommendation of what oil 'should' be used in Land Cruiser Prado, 3.0 Litre 1KZ-TE Diesel, 4x4 (1996-2003) and here comes my quote at retail cost as asked for
GTX Diesel 5L $47.45 this engine takes 7 litres (I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong) so you will need two so $94.90
http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/online- ... 2069#Combo
I don't know what filter is on this engine but could look it up at work using the fleetguard or ryco book, but the ryco stuff on the super cheap website seems to be between $13 and $35
So I'm going to use the most expensive option to give you a realistic idea, rounding up comes to 95 for oil plus 35 for a filter, so your looking at $130 for your parts for an oil change, it's my opinion that this should last for 10000ks but if you do a lot of short trips and idling you may want to decrease your service interval.

Escudo boy
Hard Yaka

Postby Escudo boy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:44 am

nizute wrote:But back to the point of good servicing my intervals isn't the best but it works for me and the number one cause of engine failure in my experience is engine cooling system, so change your oil as often as you can with a good quality oil and keep your cooling system in good condition and you will be fine!!!!

Agreed!

nizute
Hard Yaka

Postby nizute » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:30 am

[quote="Escudo boy"

I want to be clear I'm quoting this to help Prado_boon, not to further wind you up, even though I am enjoying it
[quote]

This is why i am not a fan of forums, there is always someone who knows it all at 21

Swamped
Hard Yaka

Postby Swamped » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:39 pm

Can't hide behind being older 100%. Nothing wrong with being schooled by a young fella if they're correct with what they are saying. Taught all up to date tech yada yada yada.

nizute
Hard Yaka

Postby nizute » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:58 pm

I don't have a problem with being taught by anyone of any age,i do have a problem with someone with not much floor time and who has been on a oil company course and now knows everything about oil.

bang-thud-thump
Hard Yaka

Postby bang-thud-thump » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:50 pm

nizute wrote:Look mate i have been in the trade awhile and am a qualified mechanic and engine builder i am not saying you are wrong and i am right but if i were you don't believe everything you get handed when the crap hits the fan you won't be able to get anyone to be accountable without the threat of legal action.
But back to the point of good servicing my intervals isn't the best but it works for me and the number one cause of engine failure in my experience is engine cooling system, so change your oil as often as you can with a good quality oil and keep your cooling system in good condition and you will be fine!!!!

Im an ex spanner man and I agree on cooling systems causing most failures. People thing water is all good. it isnt. Even shitters get the odd oil change as a rule, not the green lifeblood though.

Thats what a squeeze of cooling hoses (incl heater) is very important when car hunting. Also checking for marmite on oil cap and dipsticks.
I service every 10k for petrol wagons. Even my modern one, old fashioned I spose.

And only aussie crap needs a 1st service. It when we began the fault fixing process!
I never saw a jappa have any issue of note at 1500km.

justin
Driver/Navigator

Postby justin » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:17 am

Hi all, I now have a 1994 surf with a 3ltr turb (1kz)...I drove myself mental looking into oil types and when to change ,(auto trans , diffs, transfer case etc...was told magnatec 15-30 Diesel was the best for my engine ,well in my opinion no , i have gone to castrol gtx diesel ,im doing my oil and filter every 5000kms. Il do my air filter then too ,Diesel filter every second oil change(every 10,000 kms) Coolant at this time too, front and back diff require different oils but ive just done this along with my ATF and transfer case, diffs require different grade oil (lsd 90 for the back and 80-90 for the front-non slip)I use dex 3 for my trans ( dexron 2 and 3 are fine (mines a auto)....if i am wrong please correct me!)and75-90 for my transfer case.
I have just purchased a grease gun and did my drive shaft nipples , im lucky my truck came with the guide (cardboard above drivers sun visor) It recommend to do 24 hours after driving in muddy water.
I can email any one this guide if you guys want it, theirs 11 or 12 all up that need done.
This is NOT saying do this lube schedule with the lube types i use , PLEASE IF IM WRONG CORRECT ME! and if i am not hope this comes in handy.
P.S some trucks may have two lsd diffs im not sure but mine were changed
I had to count the teeth in both to make sure they were the same ratio....glad they were. 8)

Return to “Diesel Engines and Modifications”