Aftermarket Chips for Amaroks

alanimal
Winch master

Aftermarket Chips for Amaroks

Postby alanimal » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:29 pm

hi guys,

Just wondering if any of you have any experience with aftermarket chips/remapping ECU etc on your Amarok?

Quite a few options out there from plug in modules and the guys that will plug into the ECU and remap it.

Would like to hear anyone's recommendations.

I have a 2014 420highline 4motion auto double cab and I want something that will provide best power/performance for the cost.

churchill
Hard Yaka

Re: Aftermarket Chips for Amaroks

Postby churchill » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:31 pm

There are supposedly some cheap ones that only increase the fuel rail pressure, this is fine if it's not maxed out already. If it is maxed out already you will only increase torque lower in the rev range and not the ultimate power.
Some of the more expensive units actually control the number and length? of the injections per cycle so you are not limited to fuel rail pressure. I was quoted ~$1200 for a "KW" system on a common rail Focus 1.8

Weemsy
Hard Yaka

Postby Weemsy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:29 pm

If you remap the ecu you will invalidate your drivetrain warranty, the 'piggy back' ones are preferred if you don't want to risk it.
I have forgotten the name of the chip setup that alters the signals from the throttle pedal.
A couple of my customers bought them and were really impressed.
Its better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Ralfie
Hard Yaka

Postby Ralfie » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:43 pm

alanimal wrote:hi guys,

Just wondering if any of you have any experience with aftermarket chips/remapping ECU etc on your Amarok?

Quite a few options out there from plug in modules and the guys that will plug into the ECU and remap it.

Would like to hear anyone's recommendations.

I have a 2014 420highline 4motion auto double cab and I want something that will provide best power/performance for the cost.

I would have a close look at the Steinbauer available from Autokraft (and some other ARB agents. They are designed for the modern engine and don't just increase fuel rail pressure.
Past experience with them in another make of vehicle was surprising good.

KIWI_TERRANO
Hard Yaka

Postby KIWI_TERRANO » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:06 pm

Talk to ecu chips in auckland, he putting out some good chips now

Www.ecuchips.co.nz

badnuz
Hard Yaka

Postby badnuz » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:52 pm

Like with most things cheap = nasty, esp in a highly strung 2ltr twin turbo diesel! Piggyback styles like the steinbauer are very good as they alter fuel delivery and timing, not simply ramp up fuel pressure... And being stand alone from the ecu undetectable from factory scan tools (of course you may need to hide it in the glovebox or simply unplug it!!)
i used to Cruise, now i PATROL

callum007
Hard Yaka

Postby callum007 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:05 pm

I import them from time to time for people. Jason @ ECU Chips is the agent for a brand I import. I can match or better his pricing in many cases. I cant say for sure what you'd expect from an Aramok with my brand of chip, but Ive had good results in Mitsi's and new Colorado's, 2010 Ranger gave me grief. I run one in my 2010 Triton and will not likely ever remove it.
Dont follow me. i'll get stuck and need a tow..

alanimal
Winch master

Postby alanimal » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:31 am

Thanks Guys.

For a plug in version I was looking at this http://www.chipmydiesel.com.au/ProductD ... eSize=2.0l
420nm to 510nm is pretty good. A browse of the website and it looks like a well thought out/designed product. It is cheaper than a remap and the unit can be removed for a service.

second option is a remap from NZ Performance Tuning. 420nm to 514nm http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =779275026 $1250

third option Super chips http://www.superchips.co.nz - 420nm to 514nm. they say: will get alot better throttle response, low down and midrange torque and the car will pull all the way to the red line. Many owners report anything up to 10% saving on fuel as well, due to the fact there is less gear changing. And the annoying lag that they have at low revs also disappear. All fittings come with a lifetime warranty and have a million dollar cover and we have never had a claim in 35 years. We are the official Mini Cooper, Audi and VW Rally team ECU reprogrammers in the UK and as such work closely with the manufacturers so we do not go over their recommended tolerances. However if you do get any problems with the vehicle, we would get it inspected by an independent garage and if the fault is due to the upgrade, we authorise it to be fixed. We are not interested in excuses, as we know that you will want your car back as soon as possible. However we have never had a claim in 36 years. The upgrades takes about 3-4 hours to do and we come to you to do it. It has to be done direct to the ECU and we just need light, power and somewhere to work. The price is $1,249 fitted. If you’d like me to do it let me know and I’ll arrange a time. Please note this is not a plug in box. All they do is up the fuel line pressure. Now bearing in mind your vehicle is running about 15-20,000psi in the fuel lines, do you want anymore? We have seen over ten cases where the pressure has been so high that the injectors have bowled, so instead of being shaped like a V they have gone to a U shape, or burnt the tips out. Also some where the fuel has been forced past the rings and into the sump. Diesel in the engine oil is not a good look! We don’t up the fuel rail pressure, we remap the ECU, so change the pulse, ie when it puts fuel in and for how long, the timing, throttle response and boost on the turbo. A remap is a more complete method of upping the power and does not put any extra strain on the fuel line, which is why we don’t do the plug in boxes.

As the truck is brand new and I take delivery of it on Thursday, I want something that will see me right for a long time.

What would you do?

I had a look at the ECU Chips website - I am keen to hear more about those. However I am not sure they do amaroks as the product selector just went back to home page after choosing VW --> AMAROK

badnuz
Hard Yaka

Postby badnuz » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:40 pm

If you go the ECU flash then if its ever pluged into a factory scan they will identify it straight away, also if they have to do an ECU upgrade all your expensive "mapping" can be lost, and another $1250 needed to reflash it again.... At least with a plug in box it can be removed...

And as mentioned earlier a steinbauer adjusts the fuel mapping adjusting the pulse timing and duration......

Horses for courses but if i was dropping that sort of money on a new ute i would be weighing up all the other options....
i used to Cruise, now i PATROL

alanimal
Winch master

Postby alanimal » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:23 pm

Cheers mate. What "other" options are you referring to?

The dealer has a plug in module for me to test. They have been using them successfully for a while now on amoroks so if they say it's ok it must be ok.

callum007
Hard Yaka

Postby callum007 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:56 am

alanimal
Winch master

Postby alanimal » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:03 am

callum007
Hard Yaka

Postby callum007 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:51 am

I always recommend the pro or ultimate model to customers. I have run basic and I'd struggle to tell difference between basic and pro accept for the build quality of a waterproof box/connector that looks tidier and better

SMOKEY
Hard Yaka

Postby SMOKEY » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:38 pm

Each to their own, but why not buy fit for purpose to start with. Why buy a new Ute and then say I need or want more out of it. It don't make sense to me. This forum has lots of posts on members buying vehicles and then wanting more and more power from them. If the VW won't get there quick enough or pull the heavy load then maybe you need one that will ???.

DON'T BUY A MINI TO DO A V8'S JOB.

FITZY.

alanimal
Winch master

Postby alanimal » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:24 am

FITZY - no comment. not even going to start.

Back to the topic. Testing a magnum chip and so far it seems pretty good. off into the te ureweras this weekend so be a great test for it.

Appreciate all the advice guys and thank you.

Return to “Diesel Engines and Modifications”