Pre-turbo EGT's.

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Pre-turbo EGT's.

Postby Checkerhead » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:32 pm

Hey all. I'm new to Diesel land. Have searched a bit but not found what I'm after. Most threads seem to get muddled up with post and pre turbo figures and or debates about where the probe should go. I don't care about that. My probe is pre-turbo and so I only want pre turbo info please.

What range of EGT's are considered "good" (cruising at 100 k's) and what is an agreed "max for a few minutes" when charging up a hill?
Obviously and with in reason cooler is better for both scenarios, but what is a sustainable average temp?

Thanks in advance.

Arron.
Supercharged VH45 Surf safari winch truck in the making
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33527&hilit=checker%2A

Mehrts
Hard Yaka

Re: Pre-turbo EGT's.

Postby Mehrts » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:20 pm

With my pre-turbo mounted probe, I see temps of ~400*C at 100kph. That can jump up around 500*C if there's a good head wind or upwards incline in the road.

Up hills foot to the floor for a decent period of time (1 Minute type thing) It reaches 650*C max, it won't go any higher.

That is on a Daihatsu 2.8L Intercooled turbo with a slight fuel pump tweake.
Toyhatsu Bitsalux

mudbugga
Hard Yaka

Postby mudbugga » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:01 pm

Have a read of Stu's thread. We fitted the EGT gauge recently to his KZJ95 Prado.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=42494

imsohi
Hard Yaka

Postby imsohi » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:05 pm

Hey Aaron

Heres what i know, all my gauges have been placed pre turbo, and you know what my vehicles get up to

1 LN130 Surf Manual Lowered surf the one we took to Manukau 1KZ motor, Manual pump, front mount, 20psi boost egts at 100kms 300deg, maximum foot hard up it for as long as possible would get to 650-680 and then stay there.

2 kzn185 surf auto 1KZ motor, elec pump, top mount intercooled, 10psi boost all standard from factory egts at 100kms 450-500deg and never hit a maximum but i would say easy 1000 i back off at around 800 and can sort of feather it to keep it under that.

3 VX 80 manual upgraded turbo 25psi boost front mount intercooler std pump tweaked egts at 100kms 400 deg maximum is unknown but get to around 650 then crawls up over that with hard up it would geuss it would get to 800ish over a long climb.

I Have had and seen them at over 1000 deg for a short period of time but i try keep mine under 800 deg anywhere. up to 500 deg seems to be ok crusing at 100kms

worth noting have never had any over heating issues with either 1kz's about 100deg water temp maximum i think the worst was towing the hilux up to cust. and both 1kzs have both had heads replaced and full cooling systems done.

Hope this helps somewhat

tweake
Hard Yaka

Postby tweake » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:57 pm

Checkerhead wrote:
What range of EGT's are considered "good" (cruising at 100 k's) and what is an agreed "max for a few minutes" when charging up a hill?
Obviously and with in reason cooler is better for both scenarios, but what is a sustainable average temp?

egt's at cruise are dependent on what vehicle it is and what load its got on. unless you find someone with same vehicle and carries the same load its fairly meaningless. however its worth noting what your normal is so if it changes you know there is a problem.

pre turbo max temp is generally around 800c. but it does depend on the engine a bit. most new ones will hit that easy enough. good strong engines will handle that but weaker ones your better to dial it back to 700c.

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:34 pm

Thanks guys, good info.

tweake wrote:egt's at cruise are dependent on what vehicle it is and what load its got on. unless you find someone with same vehicle and carries the same load its fairly meaningless. however its worth noting what your normal is so if it changes you know there is a problem.

Yeah fair point. Just wanted to get a bunch of other peoples "normal" so that I could get an idea of the range. I realise there is no solid specific number I can work to, but there is a lot of hearsay on this topic and I want some first hand values.

Mehrts and Leigh. Awesome info, just what I was after. Cheers.

Mudbugga, Thanks. Had already read that thread (was helpful) and the one that it links to as well.

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:48 pm

What motor?
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:13 pm

wjw wrote:What motor?

4d56-t Non-intercooled. I know there are a few variations of this, so it's in a 91 L200 if that helps.

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:43 pm

Have done some googling and the gist seems to be that 760C is the point at which you might start getting damage, nothing concrete though. can't find any dyno stats online :-(
-----------------------

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:27 pm

wjw wrote:Have done some googling and the gist seems to be that 760C is the point at which you might start getting damage, nothing concrete though. can't find any dyno stats online :-(

Cool. Thanks. I have been trying to keep it under 700 but saw 740 odd a few times while passing and once just under 800. These of course were just brief.

Did your googling suggest that 760 as a peak or that 720ish was a sustainable temp? I'm assuming a peak.

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:16 am

650 sustained seems to be what people aim for when towing. Could do with someone who knows commenting.
-----------------------

Mr Revhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Mr Revhead » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:10 am

From my looking around the EGTs seem to be very engine dependant.
I put a gauge in my MU and looked for info about what it should be.
Scared myself silly reading numbers from 1kz owners as I blow those numbers out of the water, I can almost hit 900 on a long hard hill climb, although usually 850ish max and 500 something at 100k, and it's intercooled!
But when I started checking Isuzu info I found those numbers to be normal. Doesn't mean I'm not going to do some mods to drop it though.

So don't read too much into what other engines do. If you can't find any specific info, take readings at stock and apply common sense. If it's done 200k at those temps it's safe to say it's fine :D

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:48 pm

Mr Revhead wrote:take readings at stock and apply common sense. If it's done 200k at those temps it's safe to say it's fine :D

Sounds like good advice. And it is the path I am going down. It's stock standard except that I have added the EGT gauge. And it has done 200K.

The reason I was looking for a little info from others is that from 25K through to 215K the truck I bought has had one very casual, patient and passive driver. None of those qualities describe me and as such it will get a harder life with me. So I am just trying to get a feel for things.

First mod will likely be a dump pipe and exhaust. Though an intercooler may go on soon as I think I'm going to score a free one, just have to see if I can make it fit.

Return to “Diesel Engines and Modifications”