Recommendations on boost controller&waste gate

tweake
Hard Yaka

Re: Recommendations on boost controller&waste gate

Postby tweake » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:39 pm

wiring a wastegate shut is not a good idea.
over rev a turbo and it will not last long. running the turbo past its efficient range is just a waste of fuel and power. plus the increase exhaust back pressure hurts the engine.

Craydiver
Hard Yaka

Postby Craydiver » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:48 pm

ok i read this thread and unfortunately there is a lot of rubbish posted.

the first thing is a diesel with to much air is not a bad thing like a petrol. the opposite infact, where a lean petrol will run hot a lean diesel runs cooler.

but since you have decided to play with power, i would STRONGLY recommend you install a pre turbo EGT gage as the mandatory stage one before doing anything else.

but why do you want a waste gate - external. you could just wire you waste gate shut. worse that could happen is working your inter-cooler a bit more and upset a few greenies with a bit more NOX production ???

Ok - yes I have already fitted EGT pre turbo
External waste gate? - I was told by an Auckland Turbo guru that external waste gates control boost better than internals esp at higher boost ranges
Current setup - I am running internal on SCR turbo, have fitted the std screw boost controller, was running about 14psi
then fitted 4inch intake and large filter in custom box, last year and I immediately got 19psi boost, running very well, actually spools to full boost extremely quick, rather amazed just what change the air intake has made. Pulls 4psi literally just off idle!
Rather than going for any bigger turbo right now, plan is to have it properly tuned on dyno, to see how it performs.
I have an equal length exhaust manifold that I can fit also, plus keen to improve the intake manifold volume
if after all that I want some more grunt, then maybe the holset ($1.7k) or UFI ($3k) option, but to be honest im unsure if the extra $ on turbo will make dramatic gains over a well tuned setup with the $550 scarles
88SWB GQ TD Turbo, 35's, lockers

tweake
Hard Yaka

Postby tweake » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:18 pm

not much point having a fancy turbo if your fueling can't make use of the air.
so it depends a lot on what fueling you have.

Craydiver
Hard Yaka

Postby Craydiver » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:33 pm

Agreed - hence why I need it correctly tuned
Have new 12mmpump, water to air i/c, 4inch ss snorkel, moddied exhaust manifold, custom airbox/filter ~600cfm , plus a 3inch exhaust.
Im told the 12mm will supply more fuel than I will ever need, even with larger turbo.
88SWB GQ TD Turbo, 35's, lockers

kcinshaw
Driver/Navigator

Postby kcinshaw » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:48 pm

The holset turbos are good quality. I think its Steve Murch the turbo guru who sells them in Auckland. Might be worth getting in touch with him if you havent already as he can provide some good advice.

I have had external wastegates on previous cars, the only thing I would say is buy a good quality one. If it goes wrong somehow it can cause damage in other areas.

I look forward to following your progress and see what power you make.

Madaz
Hard Yaka

Postby Madaz » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:27 am

Maybe even check out Kinugawa turbos, ive been running one for the last couple of years. Quality was a lot better than I expected for a $1000 turbo. I run 20-25lb and would have done 50000kms on it without any issue.

Return to “Diesel Engines and Modifications”