Trans issues KZN185

whataroa
Stropper

Trans issues KZN185

Postby whataroa » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:19 pm

My Surf seems to be intermittently missing out 1st and 2nd gear and pulling off in 3rd while in drive. Have got a (2 minute) diagnostics test done at Aceomatic in chch and the guy reckons the trans solenoids are going faulty and quoted $700 to replace both inc labor but after doing a bit of homework online seems like this issue has been solved before by replacing ECU capacitors?! Just wondering if anyone can shed some light as bit hesitant to jump straight in and spend that kind of cash if it may not be the issue. Popped into Ilam Toyota and they think trans solenoids going faulty isn't a common issue with the 185's.

Cheers

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Re: Trans issues KZN185

Postby BlakeNZ » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:55 pm

there is plenty ok KZN185s around, so borrow an ECU from a fellow owner, go for a drive. You will know instantly if that has fixed your problem.
You are right, A340 transmissions seldom give solenoid problems,( though I wouldn't say 'never'). Usually dropping the pan off the trans reveals access to the shift solenoids. It's not a incredibly difficult job, the $700 seems steep. Though they have probably factored in new fluid and gasket and trans filter.

whataroa
Stropper

Re: Trans issues KZN185

Postby whataroa » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:37 pm

BlakeNZ wrote:there is plenty ok KZN185s around, so borrow an ECU from a fellow owner, go for a drive. You will know instantly if that has fixed your problem.
You are right, A340 transmissions seldom give solenoid problems,( though I wouldn't say 'never'). Usually dropping the pan off the trans reveals access to the shift solenoids. It's not a incredibly difficult job, the $700 seems steep. Though they have probably factored in new fluid and gasket and trans filter.

Yeah thinking of doing that this weekend hopefully. Fingers crossed it might make a difference. Done a bit of research into the work involved and it doesn't look too bad, famous last words, and i can source the 3 solenoids from the US for $75 as opposed to $350 each from Toyota. But yeah, garage did include the extra work involved too so i'll look into some options after trying a different ECU

Return to “Diesel Engines and Modifications”