td42 turbo coolant flow

y60 safari driver
Hard Yaka

td42 turbo coolant flow

Postby y60 safari driver » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:08 pm

hi all. i am plumbing in a td05 turbo to my td42 just wondering what the best way round to do it is. was going to take the lower fitting on the turbo to the block drain bolt at the left rear of the block and the higher fitting on the turbo to tee into a heater hose. is this the correct way round (does it matter) this way seemed best for air bleeding but will it circulate enough? and does it matter which heater hose i tee in to? thanks. i found some info doing a search just looking to clarify fully.

cheers

tweake
Hard Yaka

Re: td42 turbo coolant flow

Postby tweake » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:24 pm

it does matter how its done.
the coolant when engine is running doesn't do bugger all, its when the engine stops that it matters. the thermo siphon has a few requirements for it to work correctly. i'm sure the patrol forums would have write ups on where to plumb it in.

sirLachlan
Hard Yaka

Postby sirLachlan » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:56 pm

I disagree . The coolant when it is runing stops it from reaching a temp that will cook oil into sludge after shutdown .
Yes technically it will thermosiphon but an insignificant ammount
The turbo itself doesnt give a shit which way water flows .

Fwiw mine is plumbed across the heater hoses coz its easy . Also warms up the heater jolly fast . And how often do you have your heater on full tit ? Coz when its not you know the turbo has good flow across it .

If you are going all out with this build then I would find a coolant flow diagram for the engine

y60 safari driver
Hard Yaka

Postby y60 safari driver » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:30 pm

i have one but it doesnt really give much detail unfortunatly

Screenshot 2016-06-11 21.27.25.png

y60 safari driver
Hard Yaka

Postby y60 safari driver » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:12 am

Found what i was after will post it up in case someone else is ever after the info too

waterpumpthermostatopenbypassclosed_zpsf0c4bb31.png

tweake
Hard Yaka

Postby tweake » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:40 am

sirLachlan wrote:I disagree . The coolant when it is runing stops it from reaching a temp that will cook oil into sludge after shutdown .
Yes technically it will thermosiphon but an insignificant ammount
The turbo itself doesnt give a shit which way water flows .

sorry but wrong.
turbo's are basically all OIL cooled. water does a minor amount of cooling when running.
many people, including pro kits, leave the water disconnected on diesels. at the lower diesel temps its not much of an issue which is why even factory ones are sometimes not water cooled. (eg some factory turbo patrols are water cooled turbo, some are not)
primary function of the water cooling is to stop heat soak into the remaining oil after the engine stops. if the oil gets to hot it turns to carbon (not sludge) which damages the bearings.

Pighorn
Driver/Navigator

Postby Pighorn » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:49 pm

Get your slef the factory td42t thermo housing with the water fitting for the turbo feed and then use the block coolent drain for the other fitting. Works a treat and looks nice n tidy

Return to “Diesel Engines and Modifications”