Poor Man's Boost

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Poor Man's Boost

Postby MihiT » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:44 pm

Looking for someone who knows their arse from their elbow when it comes to n/a TD42s. A "Diesel Tuner" in Whangarei (may also be called "wizard" or "guru")

I am wanting to give it a bit more poke, without major expense (ha - ha!) The injectors are due for a once over, so it would be my intent to have them shimmed for higher crack pressure. This will have the flow on of having to up/ retard the Injector pump
- I would need someone who knows numbers etc that can be achieved on the stock IP. Preferably without an EGT (that is also on my long, long list of expenses due)
-OR- is the pump the kind of thing i can bore and spin up a new (bigger) plunger for in the lathe?

I intend also to stick an electric pump inline (at the tank) so the old mechanical isn't sucking her guts out.

I'm handy with a spanner, but have no experience diesel tuning. There was a fulla an the north shore of Auckland(?)who was going to get me a set of injectors on an exchange basis.

Any recomendations? Advices?
- 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
- 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
1989 LWB 5-Seat parts hack. TD42

tweake
Hard Yaka

Re: Poor Man's Boost

Postby tweake » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:51 pm

no point increasing crack pressure, that might cause other issues.

tuning NA diesels is tricky. you need egt gauge for it.
my understanding is they get hot really quick. also you have to figure what your leeway is. eg dirty air filter reducing air flow may be enough to cause piston/head failure. if you push the limits it doesn't take much to do damage.

with the reco'd injectors look at tweaking the timing up a tad. the old pump is probably running the timing a bit retarded.

slidenyo
Hard Yaka

Postby slidenyo » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:30 pm

talk to darinz he'd be able to point out a wizzard from a muppet up in the rei
problems are only a problem if you not willing to learn how to find solutions

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Postby MihiT » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:32 pm

tweake wrote:no point increasing crack pressure, that might cause other issues.

tuning NA diesels is tricky. you need egt gauge for it.
my understanding is they get hot really quick. also you have to figure what your leeway is. eg dirty air filter reducing air flow may be enough to cause piston/head failure. if you push the limits it doesn't take much to do damage.

with the reco'd injectors look at tweaking the timing up a tad. the old pump is probably running the timing a bit retarded.

I must ask, issues like what?

It was my understanding that higher crack pressure would lead to retarded timing, I also believe these pumps are retarded from factory (and given the state of everything else, probably untouched by p.o.) so I thought that if I raise the crack pressure and take up any slack in the timing, I'd be on the money. Or am I missing something?
OK, have to get an EGT. that will put my plans back a few months. Bugger!

tweake
Hard Yaka

Postby tweake » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:45 pm

MihiT wrote:

like a worn pump failing completely due to the extra work the pump has to do.

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Postby MihiT » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:00 pm

tweake wrote:
MihiT wrote:

like a worn pump failing completely due to the extra work the pump has to do.

Which brings me back to supplementing with an electric?, and can I spin this (plunger?) in a lathe or is it too much like real work?

I'm not meaning to be a smart-ass, just trying to get my head around this.

tweake
Hard Yaka

Postby tweake » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:54 pm

MihiT wrote:
Which brings me back to supplementing with an electric?, and can I spin this (plunger?) in a lathe or is it too much like real work?

machining the plunger? very tight tolerances and rather importantly the surface finish.
realistically not worth even thinking about.

i'm trying to recall the exact effects of increased crack pressure setting has on injection spray. i will have to look it up.
but in any case its a complication that won't really achieve anything, especially on a stock engine.
afaik there is no simple trick with the injectors to improve performance without adding more fuel.

electric lift pump can help increase internal IP pressures which helps with timing.
but it won't do anything for injection pressure.

i would simply just get reco injectors and possibly the pump timing checked or even advanced a bit more.

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Postby MihiT » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:24 am

tweake wrote:
MihiT wrote:

machining the plunger? very tight tolerances and rather importantly the surface finish.
realistically not worth even thinking about.

i'm trying to recall the exact effects of increased crack pressure setting has on injection spray. i will have to look it up.
but in any case its a complication that won't really achieve anything, especially on a stock engine.
afaik there is no simple trick with the injectors to improve performance without adding more fuel.

electric lift pump can help increase internal IP pressures which helps with timing.
but it won't do anything for injection pressure.

i would simply just get reco injectors and possibly the pump timing checked or even advanced a bit more.

OK sweet, thanks.

Return to “Diesel Engines and Modifications”