LD28 Turbo setup

UBZ
Hard Yaka

LD28 Turbo setup

Postby UBZ » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:30 am

Trying to get together all the bits and pieces to put a turbo back on the LD28 in the 110

I all ready have a L20ET manifold and L20ET turbo on the way . I was going to use a R50 Terrano QD32 turbo but discovered after buying one that the inlet flange is T25 and does not match up to the L20ET T3 flange doh !

Anyways , how have people plumbed up the oil feed and return line on their LD28 turbos ?
It look like I could T off the vacuum pump feed and return but I'm concerned about pressure to the turbo and volume restriction on the return .
The other option is to T out of the oil pressure sender port and route around the back of the block to the turbo . And pull the sump and fit another return port for the turbo oil.

So can any one tell me what thread the oil sender uses ? 1/8th BSP or NTP?
And what thread the vaccum pump feed on the block is ? Looks like M12 fine but not sure.

I know I need to reroute the PCV to the intake side of the turbo and from what I've read the fuel pump dosent need to be touched . But is there anything else I'm forgetting ? Exhaust dump /pluming is all in place all ready and intake plumbing easy enough to sort out . Also plan to tap the exhaust mani pre turbo for a EGT probe .

Cheers Chris
LR110 ..... LJ50 project :roll:
Chris.

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Re: LD28 Turbo setup

Postby BlakeNZ » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:02 pm

yeah you want the return to go into the sump. Fairly high towards the block from memory( I had a ld28 turbo in my former 110 )
Pretty sure my oil feed teed into the oil pressure sensor, rather than run a pipe behind the block, it went straight over the rocker cover to the top of the turbo. The pipe was a small diameter plastic pipe, similar to airlines in a truck.

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:24 pm

Pretty sure turbos don't need much flow and pressure, from memory they usually get a restrictor in the inlet side, and a nice free drain back to the sump.

To much oil and pressure causes foaming and bearing failure or something from my vague memory when I was snailing my Safari way back when............
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:06 pm

The other option is to T out of the oil pressure sender port and route around the back of the block to the turbo . And pull the sump and fit another return port for the turbo oil.

The LD28 in that Series IIA we had was a JDM factory turbo, this is how the oil supply was set up from the factory. The line going around the back of the block was metal (copper?) from memory
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

UBZ
Hard Yaka

Postby UBZ » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:37 am

BlakeNZ wrote: rather than run a pipe behind the block, it went straight over the rocker cover to the top of the turbo.

I would prefer it around the back of the block so it doesn't need to be disconnected to get at the tappets . I also don't like the potienail for an air lock in the line with an up and over setup.

DieselBoy wrote:Pretty sure turbos don't need much flow and pressure, from memory they usually get a restrictor in the inlet side

From what I've read , ball bearing turbos need a restricted oil flow and standard metal bearings don't need the restrictor .

lax2wlg wrote:The LD28 in that Series IIA we had was a JDM factory turbo, this is how the oil supply was set up from the factory. The line going around the back of the block was metal (copper?) from memory

Sounds like this is the method to use them. Do you remember how the oil drian was setup? Did it share the vaccum pump drian port.

Looks like the Turbo LD28 had a higher pressure oil pump too . Might give the relief spring a tweek .
LR110 ..... LJ50 project :roll:
Chris.

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:22 pm

UBZ wrote: Do you remember how the oil drian was setup? Did it share the vaccum pump drian port.

Sorry I don't remember exactly... but I want to say that it had a separate drain port on the sump.
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

Return to “Diesel Engines and Modifications”