Davies Craig electric water pump and controller

kcinshaw
Driver/Navigator

Davies Craig electric water pump and controller

Postby kcinshaw » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:06 pm

Hi Guys, I have a td42 safari truck with the radiator mounted on the rear and I am using a davies craig pump with the lcd controller.

I find that with the electric water pump installed it is pushing coolant into the overflow tank even at idle. There must be some kind of restriction.

Who is running this type of setup and what did you do with the thermostat and standard water pump? the davies craig manual reckons the themostat and standard pump can be removed as the controller and pump controls the flow but I kind of like the idea of still retaining them.

Does a td42 still circulate coolant without the themostat or is there a bypass within the housing?

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Re: Davies Craig electric water pump and controller

Postby Crash bandicoot » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:23 pm

I would leave the thermo stat in . it will create lower pressure on the hotside of the radiator and overflow...more ght pay to buy a new cap or higher pressure cap.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

sirLachlan
Hard Yaka

Postby sirLachlan » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:29 pm

Well good luck getting the heater warm with no thermostat or internal pump .

Gl with your search for info . Lot of misinformation and really don't see how it'd work at all with electric only in an external location .
Yes it'd work in a race car . Not in a stock ish vehicle . One that needs a heater or retains a thermostat

Did u prove the stock pump not to be adequateligible beyond all doubt ?

kcinshaw
Driver/Navigator

Postby kcinshaw » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:23 pm

Thanks for the quick replies. I tried a 0.9 and 1.1 cap. It pushes into the overflow at real low temp the coolant is still real cold. I am wondering if the thermostat is not flowing enough coolant. I will try bypass the electric pump and try it from there.

Heater doesn't really matter much that demisting the windscreen the truck is a club truck and gets hot enough inside normally.

Stock pump runs alright but best part of the electric is that it can run when the truck is off. But the two combined at the moment seem to create a bit of pressure in the system.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:55 pm

That pump needs to be just before the restriction point as to no pressurise the rest of the system beyond said restriction. Also you could have a flow issue between the two pumps. If they are working at different speeds there will be a difference in pressure between the two pumps as apposed to the system in general being over pressurised.

In your case its the hot side between engine and radiator
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

mudtroll
Hard Yaka

Postby mudtroll » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:58 am

I've been running a rear mounted radiator for years on a patrol, have just used original engine driven pump. Never had any problems. I'd ditch the electric pump, more hassle that you don't need.

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:44 pm

What mudtrol said...
But if you do want to continue running it.
This is what i did.
Ditch the thermo thingy. Itll only f..rk out anyway dont like mud and water.
Ditch the thermostat. If you really want to ran it drill it out to still allow coolant to pass.
Use a in water thermo switch for your fans only. It only take a couple of minutes working and she will be nice and warm anyway for your heater.
Outlet from rad to motor needs to be 50% larger than motor to rad. Ideally motor to rad should be around 32mm. 45mm rad to motor
The pumps dont like mud. That said you have to mount them low and keep air moving around the unit at the same time. Hard ask at the best of times.

In my current rig i m running a std sbc w.pump belt driver with thermostat. I ditched the ewp to see if i would have any problems and then fit it if i had to.
I push my rig hard and as yet no issues.

Ewp are good as if the motor does get way hot you can leave the pumps going but engine turned off. Thus reducing new heat and still cooling the existing heat. That said if she dont get hot then that dont count

edit
just reread your 1st q?
the instructions of the ewp state that the manual pump and ewp will fight each other creating cavitation.
i removed my m.p impellers.
if you are still running the m.p then that is most likely where the restriction is as the ewp is trying to force collant past.

kcinshaw
Driver/Navigator

Postby kcinshaw » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:16 pm

Thanks guys for all the help.

I gave the system a better bleed and it looked like I may have had some air in the system. Now it seems to run better and bout half way on the old reliable nissan temp gauge so should be all good.

I am going to build a better scoop to get the air down to the radiator so that should also help out.

out of interest what coolant are you running?

Return to “Diesel Engines and Modifications”