rover v8 3.9 megasquirt

Pedro
Hard Yaka

rover v8 3.9 megasquirt

Postby Pedro » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:16 pm

So after destroying a shit load of fuel driving around the sth island i thought i might try to sort out the fuel use, 3.9 rover v8, at best 5.75ks to the litre or 17.4 to the hundred, dont really care about the rate of fuel use if it had the power to match the input !!!

so fitted a innovate AFR meter wideband for shits and giggles, crusing it sits around 14.2-14.8 which is about right, wot goes to 13, and going up a long hill in top "torquing" it over the top it goes to about 15-16 afr, which i think is lean, to get max power i believe is around 12.5-13, only way to get near those numbers is to chuck it down a few gears and nail it. no wonder it feels asthmatic to drive.

So get out mega squirt and dust it off , started building it last year, got the harness finished from megasquirt to rover loom, (plug in) only mods i need to make (i think) is the fuel pump signal from megasquirt to rover, may make module so no mods to rover loom, have a seperate harness made to go from megasquirt to coil packs, ( removing dizzy) and another seperate one to the hall sensor for the front pulley, well isolated and shielded cable to boot,
so now need to pull front pulley and make and fit the crank 36-1 and also fabricate up the hall sensor bracket to suit.
I am trying to do this in a way that the truck is still driveable with stock computer, so ideally no mods to rover harness, this will only apply till the dizzy is removed.

cheers

Pedro

mike
Last minute Mike

Re: rover v8 3.9 megasquirt

Postby mike » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:14 pm

keen to see how this pans out, if you get it down to the 5litres/100km then thats the same as 10 years ago cost wise as 10l/100km and ill swap the surf for one :mrgreen:
1973 SWB Land Rover V8 Hybrid
1994 Toyota Surf

Pedro
Hard Yaka

Postby Pedro » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:26 pm

mike wrote:keen to see how this pans out, if you get it down to the 5litres/100km then thats the same as 10 years ago cost wise as 10l/100km and ill swap the surf for one :mrgreen:

5 liters to the hundred, that being 20ks to the litre, or 54MPG, if i could get a V8 to do that then there be alot of prius traded for a V8 rover :)

Pedro

Rotazuk
Hard Yaka

Postby Rotazuk » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:15 pm

My 91 rangie had the a/c going through the engine ecu . When turned on it sent positive signal to the ecu , which in turn sent a negative signal out . Stupid land rover , sure they probably fixed that by now .

Chris

Pedro
Hard Yaka

Postby Pedro » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:38 pm

Rotazuk wrote:My 91 rangie had the a/c going through the engine ecu . When turned on it sent positive signal to the ecu , which in turn sent a negative signal out . Stupid land rover , sure they probably fixed that by now .

Chris

yup rover stupid, but no longer have ac so no problems there :)

Pedro

L-andy
Hard Yaka

Postby L-andy » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:59 pm

I'm also keen to hear how that goes.
I am planning on putting a wasted spark setup on my carby 3.5 rover motor and getting rid of the dizzy. I have coil packs and EDIS module all set up and working on the bench. Was gonna use Megajolt (spark only) to control it but you can no longer buy it as a DIY kit to build so probably going to use Megasquirt and hook up ignition part only.

May look at going EFI at a later date.....

The 3.9 rover EFI was deliberately lean around that part of map to pass Euro emisions regs, it also apparently caused/contributed to the block cracking behind the liner issue which can affect the 3.9 lump.

RV8 will stand significantly more ignition advance than factory which makes them a bit livelier. Would probably stand more again once you richen it up a bit.

Andy

Pedro
Hard Yaka

Postby Pedro » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:17 pm

L-andy wrote:I'm also keen to hear how that goes.
I am planning on putting a wasted spark setup on my carby 3.5 rover motor and getting rid of the dizzy. I have coil packs and EDIS module all set up and working on the bench. Was gonna use Megajolt (spark only) to control it but you can no longer buy it as a DIY kit to build so probably going to use Megasquirt and hook up ignition part only.

May look at going EFI at a later date.....

The 3.9 rover EFI was deliberately lean around that part of map to pass Euro emisions regs, it also apparently caused/contributed to the block cracking behind the liner issue which can affect the 3.9 lump.

RV8 will stand significantly more ignition advance than factory which makes them a bit livelier. Would probably stand more again once you richen it up a bit.

Andy

well that would explain it then, bloody greenies......
]
Pedro

Taz
Hard Yaka

Postby Taz » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:20 pm

Pedro wrote:So after destroying a shit load of fuel driving around the sth island i thought i might try to sort out the fuel use, 3.9 rover v8, at best 5.75ks to the litre or 17.4 to the hundred, dont really care about the rate of fuel use if it had the power to match the input !!!

so fitted a innovate AFR meter wideband for shits and giggles, crusing it sits around 14.2-14.8 which is about right, wot goes to 13, and going up a long hill in top "torquing" it over the top it goes to about 15-16 afr, which i think is lean, to get max power i believe is around 12.5-13, only way to get near those numbers is to chuck it down a few gears and nail it. no wonder it feels asthmatic to drive.

So get out mega squirt and dust it off , started building it last year, got the harness finished from megasquirt to rover loom, (plug in) only mods i need to make (i think) is the fuel pump signal from megasquirt to rover, may make module so no mods to rover loom, have a seperate harness made to go from megasquirt to coil packs, ( removing dizzy) and another seperate one to the hall sensor for the front pulley, well isolated and shielded cable to boot,
so now need to pull front pulley and make and fit the crank 36-1 and also fabricate up the hall sensor bracket to suit.
I am trying to do this in a way that the truck is still driveable with stock computer, so ideally no mods to rover harness, this will only apply till the dizzy is removed.

cheers

Pedro

Thread dredge!

How'd you get on with the MS ECU in the end? I'm thinking about buying a Series 1 Disco at the moment and fitting one for shits and giggles.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." - Oscar Wilde
Work in progress - www.pearls.kiwi

Taz
Hard Yaka

Postby Taz » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:01 pm

Alright, Disco purchased :D

Will see what I can rustle up ECU or software wise and hit the dyno.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." - Oscar Wilde

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:03 pm

Taz wrote:Alright, Disco purchased :D

Is it that one in Christchurch with the barwork and rear locker for about $4500??? There was a 'Taz' asking a few qs on it and wondering if it was you ahaha
'The Big Truck' - 2001 TD5 Disco II
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco
'The Caramel Trophy Truck" - 1990 Disco Ex-Camel Trophy (?)

Taz
Hard Yaka

Postby Taz » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:10 am

Crawlerer79 wrote:
Taz wrote:Alright, Disco purchased :D

Is it that one in Christchurch with the barwork and rear locker for about $4500??? There was a 'Taz' asking a few qs on it and wondering if it was you ahaha

Yeah that was me :D I'm hopeless at talking people down, after having people do it to me for a living I have to try though haha

Pretty apprehensive about owning an old LR but it should be good for the summer.

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:09 pm

Yes do share if anyone's had any luck :) mine drinks like an alcoholic fish. Seems you might as well drive it with a heavy right foot as it doesn't make much difference. Haven't had chance to fiddle with it much yet apart from giving the afm a good clean out
-------------------------------------------------
Newly brought currently bog standard Discovery V8i with a drinking problem :lol:

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:14 pm

3VILC wrote:Yes do share if anyone's had any luck :) mine drinks like an alcoholic fish.

x2.... would be very interested to see if anyone has got any real results from it... mine just came back from a weekend away, got just over 300km to a 90 litre tank :roll: ... it hurts (admittedly it was loaded up with 4 people plus all the camping gear, not to mention the use of the rev limiter.... whoops haha)

3VILC wrote:Yes do share if anyone's had any luck :) mine drinks like an alcoholic fish. Seems you might as well drive it with a heavy right foot as it doesn't make much difference.

I found it made a huge difference depending on my driving style... no matter what you do its always going to be terrible but when I first got the truck and drove it like I did my overgeared Suzuki, I absolutely drained my wallet. Once I started driving really (like really) gentle, the fuel bills cut back a bit. Never gonna be good, but they are great trucks :twisted:
'The Big Truck' - 2001 TD5 Disco II
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco
'The Caramel Trophy Truck" - 1990 Disco Ex-Camel Trophy (?)

Return to “Petrol Engines and Modifications”