Home made Hydrogen generator for my Feroza

KiwiBacon
Hard Yaka

Re: Home made Hydrogen generator for my Feroza

Postby KiwiBacon » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:02 am

lneil wrote:The latest thing I saw was a few nights ago on TV, where they did a follow-up on a guy they had had testing these on his car.

I hadn't seen the run-up to this, so I don't know how scientifically pure the tests were, or the guy's credentials, but the end result was pretty straightforward: After a couple of minor explosions and failures he got a system up and running for some time.

Result? No detectable difference. As 'That Guy' says on his ads; "Now theres a nice surprise."

Yes I saw that too. The fact he blew up one of the generators proves that he was generating at least some hydrogen. So why didn't it work?

There seem to be a lot of people quietly saying the same thing. Drowned out a little by the louder yells of people selling and fitting the systems to other peoples cars.

Windsock
Hard Yaka

Postby Windsock » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:45 pm

I see the AA is now getting involved is expressing caution... http://www.aa.co.nz/motoring/news/Pages ... vices.aspx

Be sceptical of fuel saving devices
The AA is warning motorists to be wary of buying fuel saving devices that may not deliver the promised results.

Jack Biddle, AA Technical Advice Manager, says people should be sceptical of the savings offered by fuel catalysts or other devices and additives.

"These devices and additives often lack independent, technically robust test results. In fact, many of them have been scientifically tested overseas and failed to demonstrate improved fuel consumption or reduced exhaust emissions."

In Australia, the state motoring clubs, through the Australian Automobile Association, invited manufacturers to subject their devices to independent testing. Only one was prepared to put its device to the test - the Fitch Fuel Catalyst. The results showed no change in fuel consumption in either of the two test vehicles when fitted with the fuel saving device.

The Environmental Protection Agency in the United States has tested over 100 devices and additives, and not found a single one which improved fuel economy. Only devices which reduced power to certain accessories - such as air-conditioning - and those which prompted the driver to reduce acceleration or to shift gears, indicated a very small improvement in fuel economy.

"Automotive manufacturers are collectively spending billions of dollars on technology to reduce fuel consumption. No stone is being left unturned, such as lighter materials or devices which monitor tyre pressure, as every little saving counts. So if any new device is shown to work, these companies will already be looking at it."

Mr Biddle says the AA has always reserved judgement on the effectiveness of fuel saving devices and additives, despite manufacturer's claims and anecdotal reports from users about their ability to improve a vehicle's performance.

"If the device truly works, then the manufacturer will submit the product for robust, independent testing, and stand by the results."

"You can be certain that rising fuel prices will result in more and more devices, additives or alternative fuels coming out of the woodwork, However, the old adage is a good one to be guided by: 'if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is'."

The best way for motorists to reduce their fuel consumption is by modifying their driving habits. Considerable savings can be achieved by simple things like driving smoothly and not speeding.
~ Good roads lead to bad fishing. ~ Eric Wight, Maine Game Warden ~

pagar
Hard Yaka

Postby pagar » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:37 pm

oh its all a big conspiracy run by the oil co's.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you follow me in the bush you must be mad cause I'm plain CRAZY !!!

1987 BJ74, 13BT, Auto, 35" Wranglers, 80mm Suspension Lift, 2" body lift, LSD rear, ARB Front Locker, PTO, Lots of Steel and a Go Hard Driver.

KiwiBacon
Hard Yaka

Postby KiwiBacon » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:49 am

After 11 pages with no results, can we call it an official waste of time and money? :lol:

pagar
Hard Yaka

Postby pagar » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:19 am

hydro posibly, must still look at other options, one interesting thing I have read was that the amount of hydrogen is not enought to boost a modern engine, But may actually be enough for a smaller engine to get some economy. which is what I am looking for anyway as I am in the process of rebuilding a collection of Daihatsu 360 Max's (1970's micro cars) so I will still add one of these widgets when I have the motor up and running and give it a run up on the dyno then (will be about three month off though) I am still open to adding another fuel sorce either Gas or liquid to boost or replace fuel. anybody know about brewing ethanol?

1987 BJ74, 13BT, Auto, 35" Wranglers, 80mm Suspension Lift, 2" body lift, LSD rear, ARB Front Locker, PTO, Lots of Steel and a Go Hard Driver.

Jezza
Hard Yaka

Postby Jezza » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:30 pm

pagar wrote: anybody know about brewing ethanol?

http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com/id2.html your only allowed a 25L still in this country
Isuzu Mu 3.1TD

pagar
Hard Yaka

Postby pagar » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:07 am

25 ltrs? that won't go very far in most cars :( but fortunatly my little max's only have about that for a fuel tank :D

KiwiBacon
Hard Yaka

Postby KiwiBacon » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:05 pm

pagar wrote:25 ltrs? that won't go very far in most cars :( but fortunatly my little max's only have about that for a fuel tank :D

In a Max you'd feel the weight difference 25L makes too. :lol:

Cool little retro cars, but ugly as sin.

pagar
Hard Yaka

Postby pagar » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:13 pm

beauty is in the eye of the beholder and you can just about hold one of these things in the palm of your hand.... built just about every type of custom mini when I was younger and when I started looking for something to play with decided I had done the mini thing though would still like something small to play with (no comments please) saw four of these on TM so bought them. now that gas has gone ape high I am glad I have them. have one with a poked motor and am playing with the idea of turning that one into electric. :roll:

nivaman
Hard Yaka

Postby nivaman » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:23 pm

pagar wrote:beauty is in the eye of the beholder and you can just about hold one of these things in the palm of your hand.... built just about every type of custom mini when I was younger and when I started looking for something to play with decided I had done the mini thing though would still like something small to play with (no comments please) saw four of these on TM so bought them. now that gas has gone ape high I am glad I have them. have one with a poked motor and am playing with the idea of turning that one into electric. :roll:

Should be an interesting conversion.

pagar
Hard Yaka

Postby pagar » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:53 pm

Hope so, I have bought a couple more of them for parts ( I now own 7) plus one of them is an LPG wagon which I will now be rebuilding first. cannot wait for them to come up from Cantabury. :D

GrumpyOldB
Driver/Navigator

Postby GrumpyOldB » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:26 pm

Hey guys thanks a lot - you saved me $1342 fitting costs plus $35 "servicing costs" every 3 months for one of those kits.

$35 to add another litre of water?? Yeah right!! I was not gonna buy in.

This one is officially busted!

Re road tax on LPG - back a bit - yes there is about 5c plus GST. I could find out exacly how much if ya really want to know

nivaman
Hard Yaka

Postby nivaman » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:23 am

KiwiBacon wrote:
meece4x4 wrote: i want to prove to myself one way or another that either this IS a suppressed technology that people hint of or or it is a load of sh#t. :lol:

Supressed techology, yeah good one, that is just a line of BS trotted out as an excuse for not having data to prove this stuff works.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi. ... 016170.pdf

KiwiBacon
Hard Yaka

Postby KiwiBacon » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:08 am

nivaman wrote:
KiwiBacon wrote:
meece4x4 wrote: i want to prove to myself one way or another that either this IS a suppressed technology that people hint of or or it is a load of sh#t. :lol:

Supressed techology, yeah good one, that is just a line of BS trotted out as an excuse for not having data to prove this stuff works.

You're linking to a published experiment to show that this is or isn't "suppressed technology"?
If you're linking that up to prove it works, then you're missing some details. They used hydrogen generated from a methanol reformer. Not a jar with two wires in it that can't produce enough hydrogen to run a candle.

Notice how all the HHO noise has died completely.

nivaman
Hard Yaka

Postby nivaman » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:27 am

KiwiBacon wrote:
nivaman wrote:
KiwiBacon wrote:

You're linking to a published experiment to show that this is or isn't "suppressed technology"?
If you're linking that up to prove it works, then you're missing some details. They used hydrogen generated from a methanol reformer. Not a jar with two wires in it that can't produce enough hydrogen to run a candle.

Notice how all the HHO noise has died completely.

I posted the link for general interest and to show the item concerned was not suppressed.
Granted the hydrogen was from methanol but hydrogen is hydrogen no matter where it comes from.
NASA proved that hydrogen improved the burn characteristic of petrol.
It depends on how big the jar is and how much wire is used and candles don't run on hydrogen.
I don't believe all the "HHO noise" as you put it has died down, if by that statement you mean this particular thread i agree but there is still research being done.
http://www.hhoforums.com/index.php
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/sh ... 723&page=8
The way i see it internal combustion engines are only about 20% efficient and people who tinker with hydrogen are at least trying to (1), improve the efficiency even if a small amount (2) save them selves money at the pump (3), probably having fun and getting enjoyment out of their research/ learning different things.
What about the fact that petrol is a hydrocarbon, hydro means water.
Have you built one to do your own tests?
Have you seen one operating ?
Have you gone on the web and seen what is being developed?
Of interesting note too is the fact that we've used water injection to control detonation in racing engines (hi-compression engines) for decades, yet I'm sure someone could get science to tell us this can't work either. We also poured water into a running engine to de-coke them too.

A few years ago, everyone "knew" that a diesel engine couldn't run on LPG, yet we now have diesel engines running up to 30 - 40% LPG injected, with 10 - 30% power increase, and 10 - 20% reduction in fuel consumption. There are diesel engines running on pure LPG;- not all that successfully as yet, but they are running.
He who says it cannot be done is often interrupted by he who is doing it.

KiwiBacon
Hard Yaka

Postby KiwiBacon » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:09 pm

nivaman wrote:I posted the link for general interest and to show the item concerned was not suppressed.
Granted the hydrogen was from methanol but hydrogen is hydrogen no matter where it comes from.
NASA proved that hydrogen improved the burn characteristic of petrol.

They are using hydrogen to allow petrol engines to run leaner than they otherwise can. The applications of this are extremely limited and the gas volumes required are far beyond what any of these guys with their water jars are ever going to produce.

You'll note that paper was published in 1977. What were impressive results then are now yawn worthy.
The emissions levels they speak of in that report are easily surpassed by modern production EFI engines.

You'll note the energy input into their test engine did not change. They didn't manage to increase the efficiency of their engine by burning hydrogen. Check out the table on page 27 of the pdf (report page 25) and do the efficiency sums.

nivaman wrote:It depends on how big the jar is and how much wire is used and candles don't run on hydrogen.
I don't believe all the "HHO noise" as you put it has died down, if by that statement you mean this particular thread i agree but there is still research being done.
http://www.hhoforums.com/index.php
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/sh ... 723&page=8

There is nothing in either of those sites that I would call "research".
It doesn't matter how much wire you put in a jar of water, the hydrogen produced is a function of the electrical energy in. Electrolysis is well understood and painfully slow. It also takes a whole lot more energy to split hydrogen out than you ever get back.

nivaman wrote:The way i see it internal combustion engines are only about 20% efficient and people who tinker with hydrogen are at least trying to (1), improve the efficiency even if a small amount (2) save them selves money at the pump (3), probably having fun and getting enjoyment out of their research/ learning different things.

Even the ancient caddilac engine used in that nasa paper made 30% efficiency. The prius engines hit high 30's at their most efficient points. Good diesels top 40%.

nivaman wrote:What about the fact that petrol is a hydrocarbon, hydro means water.

No it doesn't. The Hydro in Hydrocarbon is "hydrogen".

nivaman wrote:Have you built one to do your own tests?
Have you seen one operating ?
Have you gone on the web and seen what is being developed?
Of interesting note too is the fact that we've used water injection to control detonation in racing engines (hi-compression engines) for decades, yet I'm sure someone could get science to tell us this can't work either. We also poured water into a running engine to de-coke them too.

I've used electrolysis in exactly the same manner to derust steel parts, so yes I know exactly how much gas is produced and how much electricity it requires. As put by a very wise man, you can fart a lot more a lot more often. No-one has proven a jar with wires from your battery works to improve fuel economy and a vast number of people have proven it doesn't work.

nivaman wrote:A few years ago, everyone "knew" that a diesel engine couldn't run on LPG, yet we now have diesel engines running up to 30 - 40% LPG injected, with 10 - 30% power increase, and 10 - 20% reduction in fuel consumption. There are diesel engines running on pure LPG;- not all that successfully as yet, but they are running.
He who says it cannot be done is often interrupted by he who is doing it.

Nope, check your facts.
There are no diesel engines running pure lpg, but there are purpose built engines (spark ignited) which are made by diesel engine manufacturers that burn lpg.
You don't reduce total fuel consumption by substituting lpg unless you forget to count the lpg (which many people do).
You can't run 30-40% lpg into a diesel engine without damaging it severely. I have a video of my engine detonating audibly with 0.4% lpg fumigation.

Swamped
Hard Yaka

Postby Swamped » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:52 pm

:lol: :lol: The lpg argument re-emerges.

wopass
Hard Yaka

Postby wopass » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:11 pm

Swamped wrote::lol: :lol: The lpg argument re-emerges.

dont go there dude!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

i still get cramps from laughing when i watch that video :lol: :lol:

:P

so...who likes doughnuts??? chocolate are my favorite :mrgreen:
If you already know everything, DON'T ask bloody questions!!

KiwiBacon
Hard Yaka

Postby KiwiBacon » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:18 pm

Surprised it took this long.

wopass
Hard Yaka

Postby wopass » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:25 pm

KiwiBacon wrote:

sorry, was too busy stuffing face :oops:

:wink:

i havnt even looked at the research behind it but it sounds lik a crock of sheite to me...having said that, there are some clever cookies out there that can probably make it work :wink:
If you already know everything, DON'T ask bloody questions!!

Andrew1706
Hard Yaka

Postby Andrew1706 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:26 pm

Sweet, so I can run my garden hose through my intake and it'll work?

I mean, you can run an LPG cylinder straight into your intake I seen it on the internet it must be true.

Jafa
Hard Yaka

Postby Jafa » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:29 pm

'85 Hilux crawler, 3rz, duals, 4.7's, 4.88's, ARB's, 30 spline Longfields, 6 stud SNR4x4 Histeer, Airshocks up front, coiled rear, 40" Iroks.
^^^this shite is all about to change....^^^

021 273 9942
jafa@inspire.net.nz

KiwiBacon
Hard Yaka

Postby KiwiBacon » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:29 pm

Andrew1706 wrote:Sweet, so I can run my garden hose through my intake and it'll work?

I mean, you can run an LPG cylinder straight into your intake I seen it on the internet it must be true.

Nope, you have to run an lpg hose through a bucket of water with two wires going into it.
It works best if you find some really corrosive mix and add it to the water so it conducts better.
Bonus points given for those posting triple digit mpg figures as evidence.

vvega
Hard Yaka

Postby vvega » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:34 pm

KiwiBacon wrote:

dunno why ,we thought that you might have got some better works stories
Kiwi4x4

KiwiBacon
Hard Yaka

Postby KiwiBacon » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:40 pm

Well now the cheerleaders have found this thread. Did they bring any tech this time or just the same mob mentality and lack of understanding?

Andrew1706
Hard Yaka

Postby Andrew1706 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:44 pm

While we're on this whole water thing, whats up with Kiwi Bacon producers injecting their bacon with water to bring the weight up?

Pisses me off quite a lot as it shrivels up and the pan fills with water.

(This post is a relevant as it is going to get....)

nivaman
Hard Yaka

Postby nivaman » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:13 pm

Damn i wish i could multiple quote.
I still think even back in 1977 the concept of hydrogen enrichment was proven to have some benefit however small.
What would you call reasearch?.
I think it is well known that small engine big body is most efficient as the engine is forced to operate in a more efficient manner.
So if hydrogen is present in hydrocarbons the engine is burning hydrogen already.
I agree with the use of electrolysis to derust parts and indeed this is the way to sometimes clean things bought up from the sea floor.
I would like to see your video, while i agree with hydrogen or lpg to improve efficiency, i think it is like a band aid and it would be good to see the reciprocating engine being improved or another design used.

vvega
Hard Yaka

Postby vvega » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:28 pm

KiwiBacon wrote:Well now the cheerleaders have found this thread. Did they bring any tech this time or just the same mob mentality and lack of understanding?

kiwi you lost .. get over it
take a look at any of the "cheerleaders" trips were mudzilla is driving his truck and you will see lpg fume in action and working without det
there is no mob mentality there just a idiot who was proven wrong and cant get past it

you did it wrong get over it
Kiwi4x4

KiwiBacon
Hard Yaka

Postby KiwiBacon » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:59 pm

nivaman wrote:I would like to see your video, while i agree with hydrogen or lpg to improve efficiency, i think it is like a band aid and it would be good to see the reciprocating engine being improved or another design used.

Video is here:
http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/node/777

The lpg is delivered at 4.5 litres/minute which is 0.4% of the airflow. It's run through first the aircleaner, then the turbo so it's well and truely mixed in.

KiwiBacon
Hard Yaka

Postby KiwiBacon » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:03 pm

vvega wrote:kiwi you lost .. get over it
take a look at any of the "cheerleaders" trips were mudzilla is driving his truck and you will see lpg fume in action and working without det
there is no mob mentality there just a idiot who was proven wrong and cant get past it

you did it wrong get over it

This is the guy who thinks an idling 3.9 litre diesel engine consumes 6 litres of air per minute.
Later revised his estimate to 60 litres a minute and still doesn't know what the debate was.

His sidekick claims to have a landcruiser with over 900Nm of torque, which turned into 900Nm of talk which couldn't be backed up.

It's pretty hard to have an intelligent debate in such company.

Return to “Petrol Engines and Modifications”