jonossiksilvia
Hard Yaka

1uz problem bout to give up on it. sorted now

Postby jonossiksilvia » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:59 pm

hi all got a problem with my 1uz into surf

details are:

92 toyota 1uz engine with auto 16p16p22p26p

1991 toyota surf 2lte auto 26p16p12p

1uz swap using 1uz auto into surf with 4wd box mounted on rear of the 1uz auto. is using 1uz 4 prong speedo sensor.

issues are:
1) engine idles fine but when revved wont go passed 2500rpm. it just bouces back to 1500rpm the back to 2500rpm softly. have hooked up speedo from cluster to 1uz ecu.
2) when i do rev from ilde till 2500rpm it does sound like its slightly missing on way through revs.
3) at the moment i cant get the 1uz auto to wire up with the surfs auto wires to allow the start signal or reverse lights to work. only way to get the starter to work is twisting the surfs lockout wires together but no safety feature then.

as far as i can tell all injectors are working and it is getting spark from both banks.

i have spent a total 2 days on these 3 issues and still no luck. it is starting to really annoy me now making me almost wanting to give up on it.

i have searched google for countless hours.

any help would be great guys.

cheers john
Last edited by jonossiksilvia on Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current 4wd: Surf Kzn185 ssrg factory Intercooled (yet to start build)
Past 4wd: toyota surf ln130, coil sas, 1uz v8 build

Jerry
Yes Dear

Re: 1uz problem bout to give up on it.

Postby Jerry » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:34 pm

have a look or post a question on http://lextreme.com/

Are you running the factory airflow meter? maybe check the 2 plugs on the throttle body or could be some dirt etc on the inside. otherwise might be a dirty/faulty sensor?
70 series prado (KZJ78) and 90 Series Prado (KZJ95)

jonossiksilvia
Hard Yaka

Postby jonossiksilvia » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:52 pm

hi.

yeah i have also posted up on that site.

yes running the factory afm. yes both plugs are clean. have been over all plugs

cheers john

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:46 pm

Although it doesn't sound like it, there may be a fuel supply issue. Are you running the hogh pressure fuel pump for the 1 uz? Not sure what pressure they need, but my 304 needs 40 psi to crack the injector rail open.
Ugly is a state of mind..... and the state of my truck!

jonossiksilvia
Hard Yaka

Postby jonossiksilvia » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:28 pm

rokhound wrote:Although it doesn't sound like it, there may be a fuel supply issue. Are you running the hogh pressure fuel pump for the 1 uz? Not sure what pressure they need, but my 304 needs 40 psi to crack the injector rail open.

hi grant. this john from eenergy.

yeah walbro 500hp external pump in diesel tank. tank has fully been flushed out and new lines. will try get hold of a gauge to make sure is running properly.

i was going to tgo for the holden v8 but the coil sas chewed up to much coin :twisted:

jonossiksilvia
Hard Yaka

Postby jonossiksilvia » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:31 pm

also anyone recommend any shops in chch the have done 1uz auto conversions on any trucks? just in case i have to send it to a shop to sort out :evil:

cheers

mud_slinger
Hard Yaka

Postby mud_slinger » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:26 pm

hey jono

talk to rick from 4wd acc.

are all ya plugs plugged up rite like tps and ya knock sensor?
cam angle sensor not playing up?
checked the dizzy and all the leads which mayb causing miss.
sounds like ecu not letting it rev up, so something is causing it.
needs more curry

jeremy
Hard Yaka

Postby jeremy » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:47 pm

I'm no help sorry, but I do know we had a similar problem initially, and it was something wired incorrectly.

At the time, the guy who wired it didn't have enough time to work out how to get the LS400 ecu working without running an auto ecu, so we switched to a crown ecu - I don't know if that was the only cause, but maybe your problem is related to how your ecu talks to the auto ecu?

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:33 pm

Sounds like you have it wired up wrong.. It's going into limp mode by the sounds....
Also check the ECU main plugs to make sure they seat properly.. I had about 4-6 pins loose and it was a mare to track down..(7-9 months)
Have you got a fuel pump ECU as well? makes it easier to wire and match with main ecu..? I think from memory they run low pressure till about 2/3 throttle position then WOT..
Also check for a good positive earth system..? My new truck ran like a POS until I had redone the earth side.. that was an easy fix.. but still took me over 2 weeks to find that..lol
Was the loom cut or uncut..? makes it easy to help with diag.. can you get the ECU to throw error codes? that way it makes it easier to fix..
I'll try to think or more..
Cheers

jonossiksilvia
Hard Yaka

Postby jonossiksilvia » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:36 pm

mud_slinger wrote:hey jono

talk to rick from 4wd acc.

are all ya plugs plugged up rite like tps and ya knock sensor?
cam angle sensor not playing up?
checked the dizzy and all the leads which mayb causing miss.
sounds like ecu not letting it rev up, so something is causing it.

hi mate.

yeah im slowly going through all the sensors etc. google brings up the this particular ecu model do cause problems but not much is said bout the fix that ive found so far.

cheers

jonossiksilvia
Hard Yaka

Postby jonossiksilvia » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:38 pm

jeremy wrote:I'm no help sorry, but I do know we had a similar problem initially, and it was something wired incorrectly.

At the time, the guy who wired it didn't have enough time to work out how to get the LS400 ecu working without running an auto ecu, so we switched to a crown ecu - I don't know if that was the only cause, but maybe your problem is related to how your ecu talks to the auto ecu?

the 1uz auto is controlled by the 1uz ecu. as stated above that the 92 ecu is a problem unit but hopefully someone has figured it out.

cheers

Jerry
Yes Dear

Postby Jerry » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:41 pm

does the ecu have a part no? i've got one spare if you need it

jonossiksilvia
Hard Yaka

Postby jonossiksilvia » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:43 pm

Big wrote:Sounds like you have it wired up wrong.. It's going into limp mode by the sounds....
Also check the ECU main plugs to make sure they seat properly.. I had about 4-6 pins loose and it was a mare to track down..(7-9 months)
Have you got a fuel pump ECU as well? makes it easier to wire and match with main ecu..? I think from memory they run low pressure till about 2/3 throttle position then WOT..
Also check for a good positive earth system..? My new truck ran like a POS until I had redone the earth side.. that was an easy fix.. but still took me over 2 weeks to find that..lol
Was the loom cut or uncut..? makes it easy to help with diag.. can you get the ECU to throw error codes? that way it makes it easier to fix..
Cheers

hi.
i dont have fuel ecu. i just wired up walbro to ign so its getting full flow all the time. been through all the earths that i can find and so far they all are ok. the loom is an uncut loom. will look at the ecu pins and make sure they are tight. ecu throws up error code of 56 which i cant find on any charts at all??? double checked this 4 times.

cheers

jonossiksilvia
Hard Yaka

Postby jonossiksilvia » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:46 pm

Jerry wrote:does the ecu have a part no? i've got one spare if you need it

ill have to get the number and let u know(truck doesnt live with me :( ) but if it matches urs that would be awesome - atleast it would cancel that out.

cheers

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:48 pm

jonossiksilvia wrote:
Big wrote:Sounds like you have it wired up wrong.. It's going into limp mode by the sounds....
Cheers

hi.
i dont have fuel ecu. i just wired up walbro to ign so its getting full flow all the time. been through all the earths that i can find and so far they all are ok. the loom is an uncut loom. will look at the ecu pins and make sure they are tight. ecu throws up error code of 56 which i cant find on any charts at all??? double checked this 4 times.

cheers

Would love to try to help you.. BUT some dude popped round a couple weeks ago and "borrowed" my lex folder and I don't know the dude at all and don't know where he works or lives..LOL :shock: But hey it's a small place.. reakon i'll see him sometime..lol

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:53 pm

56 is fuel pump problem, abs,trac , just logged into lextreme and searched it..
ALSO FYI.. you should not have the fuel pump wired to the ign.. at least to a relay that has a minimum of 30 amps.. but you should get a rev censositive relay as when motor stops, stalls it kills the pump and stops fuel from pumping all over the place in a roll over or the likes..

jonossiksilvia
Hard Yaka

Postby jonossiksilvia » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:02 pm

Big wrote:56 is fuel pump problem, abs,trac , just logged into lextreme and searched it..
ALSO FYI.. you should not have the fuel pump wired to the ign.. at least to a relay that has a minimum of 30 amps.. but you should get a rev censositive relay as when motor stops, stalls it kills the pump and stops fuel from pumping all over the place in a roll over or the likes..

bugger bout your folder.

fuel pump is hooked up using a 30amp relay,

will keep that i mind for a fuel shutoff one.

do u have a link to that page u just found? dont think it came up when i searched

cheers

kbushnz
Hard Yaka

Postby kbushnz » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:02 pm

I have done a bit of a Google search and it seems to be a problem from time to time.
I believe there are some Ecu's out there which like to "see" all the engine components.
Otherwise they go into "limp mode"
Here is a comment from a web site I found.

The 90-92 LS400/SC400 ECUs seem to be a problem child for some reason – these have 4 x two-row grey plugs and I have had about a 30% success rate with them so far. They all start and idle ok, but for some reason many won’t rev beyond about 2800 RPM. I do not know hwy this is – it makes no difference whether the loom was cut or intact, whether the auto trans is there or not. I wonder if the missing traction control is part of the problem, but it doesn’t affect any other ECU.

Noting that this style of ECU was only used for ~2 years, I wonder if it is a design fault where they are prone to failure. Diagnostics has not been of any help either. Ironically reconfiguring the ECU pins to suit a Crown computer has resulted in a 100% success rate, without changing anything else.
Cheers Calvin
KZJ78 Landcruiser Prado...

jonossiksilvia
Hard Yaka

Postby jonossiksilvia » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:08 pm

kbushnz wrote:I have done a bit of a Google search and it seems to be a problem from time to time.
I believe there are some Ecu's out there which like to "see" all the engine components.
Otherwise they go into "limp mode"
Here is a comment from a web site I found.

The 90-92 LS400/SC400 ECUs seem to be a problem child for some reason – these have 4 x two-row grey plugs and I have had about a 30% success rate with them so far. They all start and idle ok, but for some reason many won’t rev beyond about 2800 RPM. I do not know hwy this is – it makes no difference whether the loom was cut or intact, whether the auto trans is there or not. I wonder if the missing traction control is part of the problem, but it doesn’t affect any other ECU.

Noting that this style of ECU was only used for ~2 years, I wonder if it is a design fault where they are prone to failure. Diagnostics has not been of any help either. Ironically reconfiguring the ECU pins to suit a Crown computer has resulted in a 100% success rate, without changing anything else.

yes i have seen the first paragraph of that article but i pretty sure i havent seen the part bout crown ecu. will look into this some more.

cheers john

Jerry
Yes Dear

Postby Jerry » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:35 pm

the ecu i have is 89661-50171

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/xref?s=896 ... J=on&mG=on

i've got the uncut loom as well :wink: , ECU is surplus as its being mated to an existing Link

jonossiksilvia
Hard Yaka

Postby jonossiksilvia » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:43 pm

Jerry wrote:the ecu i have is 89661-50171

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/xref?s=896 ... J=on&mG=on

i've got the uncut loom as well :wink: , ECU is surplus as its being mated to an existing Link

will get hold of u once i find out which 1 mine is.

cheers

jonossiksilvia
Hard Yaka

Postby jonossiksilvia » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:42 pm

this is the ecu i have.

mud_slinger
Hard Yaka

Postby mud_slinger » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:39 pm

ditch the factory ecu, run a link ecu bitexpensive but well worth it in the long run
needs more curry

jonossiksilvia
Hard Yaka

Postby jonossiksilvia » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:42 pm

mud_slinger wrote:ditch the factory ecu, run a link ecu bitexpensive but well worth it in the long run

trouble is im running the 1uz auto box and i not sure the link will control the auto. yes if i can find an aftermarket ecu to run the auto i prob would jump for it

Jerry
Yes Dear

Postby Jerry » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:56 pm

Jono This is the spare loom etc,

Pedro
Hard Yaka

Postby Pedro » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:59 pm

jonossiksilvia wrote:
mud_slinger wrote:ditch the factory ecu, run a link ecu bitexpensive but well worth it in the long run

trouble is im running the 1uz auto box and i not sure the link will control the auto. yes if i can find an aftermarket ecu to run the auto i prob would jump for it

megasquirt now does a computer to drive autos, also do computers to drive the motors as well, currently 1/2 way thru a lexus one at present,
http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8605 it has been done i think
cheers

Pedro

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:20 am

If its an A34x series auto you can use a jeep auto computer, its then independant of the engine ECU.

Have a chat with Rick @ 4wdacc, after him telling me what to look for on my 2JZ it was alot easier, tested each of the sensors etc using the factory recommendations. Do you have the factory manual for the 1UZ? If so it would be worth going through the various sensors to check their outputs/inputs.
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

jonossiksilvia
Hard Yaka

Postby jonossiksilvia » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:37 am

wjw wrote:If its an A34x series auto you can use a jeep auto computer, its then independant of the engine ECU.

Have a chat with Rick @ 4wdacc, after him telling me what to look for on my 2JZ it was alot easier, tested each of the sensors etc using the factory recommendations. Do you have the factory manual for the 1UZ? If so it would be worth going through the various sensors to check their outputs/inputs.

Hi thanks mate.
Yes it runs the a34 series box so will look in to the jeep side. Yes I have the factory manual and I was using it to wire the engine up. Have got most of the way through the sensors
Cheers for ya help john

jonossiksilvia
Hard Yaka

Postby jonossiksilvia » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:40 am

Pedro wrote:
jonossiksilvia wrote:

megasquirt now does a computer to drive autos, also do computers to drive the motors as well, currently 1/2 way thru a lexus one at present,
http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8605 it has been done i think
cheers

Pedro

Hi
Will look into it some more but not to keen at this stage having to build the ecu and then having to self tune as well but the cheaper cost is atractive though.
Cheers john

jonossiksilvia
Hard Yaka

Postby jonossiksilvia » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:22 am

Hi jerry

Give me a week and if still haveing issues will get hold of you. If ya sell it to someone else well the old saying first in first served.
Cheers john

Return to “Petrol Engines and Modifications”