EFI conversion fuel supply opinions

3VILC
Hard Yaka

EFI conversion fuel supply opinions

Postby 3VILC » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:54 pm

Doing a carby to EFI conversion, same engine just with EFI manifolds etc fitted, so not high horsepower application at all, thus trying to keep the costs down. Looking for ideas and opinions on converting the fuel supply. As I see it theres a few options and cant make up my mind what to go with.
1] Fit a V6 surf tank, not sure how easy this is and how available they are.
2] Fit a EFI pump into the existing tank. Probably cheapest but unsure as to how to safely run wires into the tank, and weather this will cause starvation issues on inclines with no baffles in the tank.
3] Fit a small surge tank in the engine bay somewhere using the original mechanical pump to supply the surge tank and run an external pump off that.
4] Go all out and fit a facet lift pump, surge tank, and external pump into the toolbox or under deck. Probably most expensive option.
5] Something else I havent thought of.

What does everyone else think?

Cheers,
Clive
-------------------------------------------------
Newly brought currently bog standard Discovery V8i with a drinking problem :lol:

bigstu
Hard Yaka

Re: EFI conversion fuel supply opinions

Postby bigstu » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:31 pm

If its a hilux / surf? why not use a factory 3ye petrol tank will have the pump in it if its a 130 series the v6 tank will also work as well.

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:38 pm

Its a YN67 hilux, 4Y with 3YE injection setup. Dont know the chances of finding a 3YE tank, but a VZN130 tank may fit just not sure. I believe you need to change the filler neck too as the surf one has a slightly bigger inlet hose than the YN67
Newly brought currently bog standard Discovery V8i with a drinking problem :lol:

bigstu
Hard Yaka

Postby bigstu » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:53 pm

v6 tank probably mounts the prity much same? but the filler neck is toward the rear of the tank with petrol flap being above the wheel arch, but being a hilux its probly easyer than a surf to get around that issue.
I know of a yn61 efi tank down here but ive got my eye on it
Thanks stu

meatc
Hard Yaka

Postby meatc » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:04 pm

Just get an external efi pump. early commodore, early audi 80, and the like have them or get a new one for under $200. Just need to change the soft fuel lines to EFI ones. The low pressure ones wont cope. Keep it close to the tank and it will be mint. You dont need a surge tank.
Toy - Zuk chassis tub, hilux 4.88 axles and transfer, Nissan CA18DE motor and auto trans, sc12 supercharger, 32 10'5 simex, twin motor 8274 custom freespool. Well the parts are all there in various corners of the shed

northdude
Bush Crasher

Postby northdude » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:00 pm

id go the tank with a pump in it try and keep it as per factory or as simple as possible you wont need a surge tank

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:29 am

we used the inline pump from a VL commodore for my LN56. never had an issue with fuel surge etc, it fed the RB30det niceley (albeit factory twin cam turbo head on stock ecu.)
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Postby DEATH_INC » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:03 am

I like the #3 option, surge tank with pump up front. No worries about surging in the tank, and no high pressure lines running the length of the truck. Easy wiring (dunno if the carb loom is up to the higher amp draw?) too.

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:26 pm

Option 3 covers all the bases with less plumbing and wiring..the only thing I don't like about that idea is having that much fuel in the engine bay..have seen it done a few times tho. Suppose it would be fine as long as it was shielded somehow and not on the exhaust side of the engine obviously, and well checked for hose leaks.
I purely like this one as using the mechanical pump will have no trouble sucking fuel up and wont be bothered by air. The power feeds for the external pump, computer etc will all be through extra relays anyway.
Only thing thats got me, the mechanical pump has its own tank return, but the surge tank overflow also need to be connected to tank return, most tanks dont have an extra fitting for this purpose. I suppose it could just be plugged at the pump, since the pump wont see any resistance like it does when the carb float valve is closed anyway, as the surge tank cant build pressure because of the overflow outlet

Return to “Petrol Engines and Modifications”