What carby do you run on your Chevy motor?

Weemsy
Hard Yaka

What carby do you run on your Chevy motor?

Postby Weemsy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:58 am

hi all,

what carby are you guys running with your chevy-powered trucks?

i have tried holleys, but them a pig to tune, not too flash off road and heavier on fuel

i prefer rochester quadrajet set-ups as they will keep the motor running with the truck lying on its side (ask me how i know :oops: ) and at all angles in between & better on fuel than the holley. not as common though and mine keeps leaking

what other options are out there?

im running a 350 with 3 speed auto.
Its better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Re: What carby do you run on your Chevy motor?

Postby DEATH_INC » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:38 am

Back in the days when i had V8's...I preferred the Predator carb. Bit big, but easy to tune and always made lotsa power. This was on road vehicles tho, but it should be fine offroad too. http://www.predatorcarb.com/

Dr_PC
Hard Yaka

Postby Dr_PC » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:41 am

Weemsy wrote:hi all,

what carby are you guys running with your chevy-powered trucks?

i have tried holleys, but them a pig to tune, not too flash off road and heavier on fuel

i prefer rochester quadrajet set-ups as they will keep the motor running with the truck lying on its side (ask me how i know :oops: ) and at all angles in between & better on fuel than the holley. not as common though and mine keeps leaking

what other options are out there?

im running a 350 with 3 speed auto.

Sounds like a bent Butterfly spindle, Yep bloody good carb, jetted correctly they can flow up to a max of 930 cfm. Hunt a round and ss if there is still a carb man that knows what he is doing in your area, get it rebuilt and keep ruuning it, or else you are going to have to dump it and find another good one. With the V8's holden and chev I would never run a holley always qjet and never regretted it

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:47 am

me ol 40 had 600 holley

ran sweet, used faaaark all fuel, ran on angles (up, down, sideways, even rolling over :oops: )

got to get someone with clues to tune them

mine was done by a mate into hot rods who had been playing with them for years
80 Series on 35" creepies, manual with twin factory lockers.

*CHILLAX BRO.*

Sadam_Husain
Angry bird

Postby Sadam_Husain » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:54 am

Weemsy wrote:what other options are out there?

not another carby option but something worthwhile if you havent already got one is a return to tank line so your not force feeding the carb and flooding it with 2 million litres per minute of fuel that hasnt got anywhere else to go when the floats hanging upside down while your trying to keep the truck on its wheels on some shit angle

Weemsy
Hard Yaka

Postby Weemsy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:44 am

i have a return line that i ran in when i had a (failed) attempt at fuel injecting the thing. its just blanked off at the minute.

where do you run your return line from on the carby?

there is a guy up in hastings who used to race/rebuild jetsprint engines, i believe. will have to roll on over there with my carbys, box of spares, truck etc and see if he is interested in sorting the thing out.
Its better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

muddyhilux
Hard Yaka

Postby muddyhilux » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:50 am

I'm running an edelbrock 550 on my 350 chev,tuned it myself with reasonable ease and passed through emissions fine and certifier said it was running really nice. I chew the gas but then again I'm on 35s and the 4.5 diffs were putting my motorway revs at 2800 :roll: :lol: .this time round and on 4.1s things should be a lot better.always had plenty of pony's when required.

after all that though if you've got a carb that used to work ok but just needs work by the sound of it id offer the same advice as others and try get it rebuilt / repaired and you'll be away laughing
1990 surf 350 chevy jacked up and currently under construction again

Weemsy
Hard Yaka

Postby Weemsy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:10 pm

yeah, i chew the gas

37's & 4.1 diffs though :shock:
but revs-wise she is pretty sweet, saying that my rev-counter needs the wires hooking up again.

Sadam_Husain
Angry bird

Postby Sadam_Husain » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:12 pm

Weemsy wrote:i have a return line that i ran in when i had a (failed) attempt at fuel injecting the thing. its just blanked off at the minute.

where do you run your return line from on the carby?

I used to have a mechanical fuelpump that had a return to tank outlet on it but that long since died and got replaced with a single outlet fuel pump, you can make up a T junction and stick it up as close to the carb as you can get it and put a reducer in the return to tank side of it

the holley I'm running at the moment on my 40 series would be the best one I've had out of the collection of them I've got down in the shed, its pretty reasonable for a carb with flooding and rarely stalls on steep shit when I come off the loud pedal back onto the idle jet, (I have got my idle up a bit higher being a manual) I think most of it would come down to the electric fuel pump is running pretty low pressure and flow, I had the opersite problem recently with the truck running out of gas on the loudpedal and traced that back to a bad earth on the fuel pump and it wasnt pumping enough gas through, its all good again now since I replaced the earth

when I first started playing with chevys and carbs off road I was always told by the gurus the best thing to do is look at the fuel system and how much gas and overfueling your trying to force into the float bowl

Weemsy
Hard Yaka

Postby Weemsy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:35 pm

yeah my pump is a single-outlet mechanical. i have a couple of electric ones here though, off various setups i have tried.

i do run a fuel pressure regulator, but dont have it tee'd off anywhere to return to tank

Sadam_Husain
Angry bird

Postby Sadam_Husain » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:43 pm

nah no regulator and not actually using a return to tank on this truck, dunno what the electric pumps off or where it came from but it seems to have the right pressure and flow rate to suit the carb

Weemsy
Hard Yaka

Postby Weemsy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:48 pm

i will go have a word with the guy here.

his name is ross bailey and supposed to be the dogs bo77ocks with anything chev

Return to “Petrol Engines and Modifications”