more power from my 4y

mack
Bush Crasher

more power from my 4y

Postby mack » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:44 pm

hi all currently running a new 4y 2.2 with a weber 32/36 being a new motor has plenty of grunt my only thoughts are more can never have enough right? now my first ? is more flowing exhaust makes it breath so more power yea?
other ? is supercharging a 4y possible/plauseable

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Re: more power from my 4y

Postby 3VILC » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:56 pm

Welcome mack,
Firstly: http://brianlawson59.blogspot.co.nz/ <supercharged 4Y, crazy but do-able.
Freeflow exhaust definately, you can still buy new headers for them, but $600+ new!
The best one I have found, convert it to EFI, made a massive difference to mine was a lot of work with no real info around but it was well worth it (compared to trying to fit and cert a newer engine), although the complete setup takes a bit of hunting around to find everything. 32/36 is meant to be good tho if its well tuned and in good condition, mine was running a rather tired factory carb.
-------------------------------------------------
Newly brought currently bog standard Discovery V8i with a drinking problem :lol:

mack
Bush Crasher

Postby mack » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:17 pm

was there a noticble power/fuel effect? and how does it like the water?

and shit that guys talented but expensive route haha

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:03 am

Power is definately noticeable, at the end of the day its still a gutless 4Y but much nicer to drive. Better bottom end torque (longer intake runners) which is why I like the 4Y much better bottom end compared to other 4cylinders which is good for offroad but of course lacks much top end on the highway. Smoother running, better throttle response, easier starting, definately seems to use less fuel tho it hasnt been for a decent run yet since doing it, but got to be better than the 350 or so k's it used to get to a tank.
Water I dont envision being too much of a problem, theres no low down sensors other than the o2, and all the plugs are the waterproof type, of course a petrol is never going to be as good at swimming as a diesel.
Thats all compared to standard tho, the weber carb probably also has some of these effects but prehaps not much effect or even worse on fuel use. Injection does have the benefit that it will run on any angle unlike the carb which doesnt like the fuel level too far off flat, never had a problem with mine flooding like some do but have had the float bowl run dry giving it the lead foot in low-3rd up a steep climb
Newly brought currently bog standard Discovery V8i with a drinking problem :lol:

mack
Bush Crasher

Postby mack » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:22 pm

cheers mate may look into it a bit more then

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:48 pm

Theres a lot of info on south african sites like hilux4x4.co.za . Although they make it a bit more complex as nothing ever came with a Y series EFI setup over there, so they tend to just use the manifolds and hook it all up to aftermarket computer. But I can confirm the complete setup including loom and ECU from most commonly a 3Y-E Surf fits straight in and works fine (obviously you need to custom mate the wiring to whatever you are fitting it too, which wasn't too hard just not much info around but I can help you now I've done it). You can find 3Y-E engine in a YN130 Surf 89-91, YN87 Low chassis Hilux late 90's, and some early 90's Hiace/Townace variants, the hard part finding a complete setup for cheap since they are not common wreckers charge a fortune. I lucked out and found one with blown rings that was being swapped out for a lexus V8 fairly local that only wanted $250 for nearly everything I needed. If you want a shopping list of what needs to be swapped let me know. (a complete running 3Y-E wreckers wanted around $1900 !)

Gaza
Driver/Navigator

Postby Gaza » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:20 pm

i run a 3ye in my surf and it is very reliable and have no problems with hill climbs :D

Return to “Petrol Engines and Modifications”