hel[p with 350 chevy - wont start

Heath
Hard Yaka

Re: hel[p with 350 chevy - wont start

Postby Heath » Sun May 26, 2013 1:58 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just been flamed on the hotrod forum for asking a silly question.

Apparently not knowing something and asking a genuine question (after searching their database and google) is no excuse. Must be nice to live in "knowitall land" and laugh at the plebs trying to learn new things.

I have had a hard time there because of my Japanese hot rod/rat rod idea and have struggled to get any help (other than a few quiet ones who PM'ed me). Apparently if you aren't building a USA/English pre 49 vehicle and don't comply with their ideals then you are up against it. I had figured that the techniques, type of mods, etc were compatible with my project but I was wrong - its jap cab makes it an abomination and something they couldn't look past. :roll:

Just a bunch of rich pricks with cookie cutter coupes. They're not really all like that (some real great people on there) but some days I wonder.

Lucky this site isn't like that ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:mrgreen:

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sun May 26, 2013 2:55 pm

Screw them, there are as many utes lowered with GM/Ford power plants as there are lifted. Take this 70's toyota hilux.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Sun May 26, 2013 4:36 pm

Crash bandicoot wrote:Screw them, there are as many utes lowered with GM/Ford power plants as there are lifted. Take this 70's toyota hilux.

Heath, if yo bring something like that to work; my truck will take a dump on it! :lol:
Ok people, move along. Nothing to see here. Thank you, move along.
Ph 0212078472

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun May 26, 2013 6:41 pm

Come on Pete. Don't be a Hater!!

No worries mine wont look as good as that. :wink:

DJ
Hard Yaka

Postby DJ » Sun May 26, 2013 9:34 pm

oooo you put your head into a lions den... :lol: silly boy .
I belong to that forum and are still not accepted as I have a later model yank pick up although I have raced /owned pre 49ners.been in many clubs and help start the Meremere drag strip.( drags were around long before hot rods) But the haters are very quick to call around when they need engine parts or a problem sorted. Its their forum.. just bite the bullet ignor the bull shit. Others are trying to help you.You cant change some ones point of view even if they are wrong.. :lol: I just charge them more !!
How many low voltage wires out of the HEI?

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun May 26, 2013 9:42 pm

DJ wrote:oooo you put your head into a lions den... :lol: silly boy .
I belong to that forum and are still not accepted as I have a later model yank pick up although I have raced /owned pre 49ners.been in many clubs and help start the Meremere drag strip.( drags were around long before hot rods) But the haters are very quick to call around when they need engine parts or a problem sorted. Its their forum.. just bite the bullet ignor the bull shit. Others are trying to help you.You cant change some ones point of view even if they are wrong.. :lol: I just charge them more !!
How many low voltage wires out of the HEI?

Yeah I know I should just chill and go with the flow. Like you said there are lots of helpers and only a few haters.

I assume you mean the three wires coming from the base of the dizzy (under the cap at the front) and pluging into the cap next to the 12v and tacho connection.

If not maybe I should take up knitting... :? :mrgreen:

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun May 26, 2013 9:44 pm

Just saw you come from Ngongotaha. I used to live down western rd (before it became suburbia - had paddocks and not many houses about then).

DJ
Hard Yaka

Postby DJ » Sun May 26, 2013 10:04 pm

yep not alot of houses and those that are there are sinking ( another story been on the news etc)
have you got a voltmeter/ohmmeter? flick me your ph number and Ill run thru the dist voltage check as its long and involved. Its more than likely that the module has failed

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Mon May 27, 2013 9:39 pm

Yeah the paddocks opposite us were always swampy. Never had any problems on our side of the road (river side). Was surprised to see they had put in drainage and built in the area.

Going to pick up a module tomorrow from silvester motors. I'm hoping that will sort things quick smart.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Tue May 28, 2013 7:06 pm

Well I wondered if maybe my battery was getting tired and this morning it decided to let me down. couldn't start my prado - turned over for a bit and then got slower and slower. Might just be the glow plugs I guess so might get them sorted/checked. Truck is in the garage with the battery on charge (maybe I drained it a bit trying to turn over the chev) for a top up. New 700cca battery is going to get a charge too (used that to jump the prado so I could get to work - lucky I had bought one :mrgreen: ).

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Wed May 29, 2013 7:36 pm

Grabbed a new module to swap out the old one with. Finally got round to swapping it and bugger me but there are no bolts/screws holding the module down.

Apparently this is where the module gets its earth.

Hmm maybe this is why it wouldn't work?

churchill
Hard Yaka

Postby churchill » Thu May 30, 2013 10:50 am

I've just been working with a Luminition ignition module and the instructions state that the module has to be earthed. This could very well be your problem.

I know for some guys its like admitting defeat... but have you read the setup instructions just to make sure it's wired and fastened correctly?

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Thu May 30, 2013 5:18 pm

I've googled the shit out of HEI. :?

I know more about them than I ever thought I needed too and also how to test/dismantle/assemble etc. I also know to carry a spare module in the glove box because they can give up with no warning (usually at night and in a remote area). :mrgreen:

The guy who sold me the engine is surprised at the bits missing (he ran this up days before shipping) and is sending me some bolts. We can only assume that they were either missing and when it ran it was a bit of luck/earthing some where or that while in transit someone helped themselves to the module and swapped in theirs and forgot to put the screws back (it took 5 days to get here from Invercargil and apparently sat in the depot in chch for 2 days before I was contacted.)

Never mind learning heaps as I go (would be nice to just have everything fall into place but wouldn't be as much of a learning experience).

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:40 pm

Anyone know what size/type of bolts are used in an HEI dizzy to hold the module down?

Been waiting for some to turn up from the guy who sold the engine to me, but nothing yet and I want to move forwards with this.

Cheers,

Heath

fullthrottle
Shuttle Queen

Postby fullthrottle » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:43 pm

I hear it's finally alive??

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:02 pm

Yep.

It isn't pretty or sounding flash but its running. Good pressure and no knocking.

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:22 am

Heath wrote:Yep.

It isn't pretty or sounding flash but its running. Good pressure and no knocking.

The only knock you will hear is your Mrs tapping you on the forehead when she sees the next visa bill :wink:
Ok people, move along. Nothing to see here. Thank you, move along.
Ph 0212078472

Return to “Petrol Engines and Modifications”