1uz exhaust size

skidmark
Hard Yaka

1uz exhaust size

Postby skidmark » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:39 pm

Looking for feedback on what size exhaust I should fit on my surf(twin tdo4 turbos,),?
At this stage thinking 2.5dump through to behind transmission to where I could merge into single 3inch? Dont really fancy doing it twice! Will require some 90º to get over rear diff...
Cheers Alistair
modified surf, hardly drive it seem to keep modifying it....

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Re: 1uz exhaust size

Postby Mattman » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:03 pm

On my 1UZ na surf I had twin 2.25 off the manifolds into a single 3in. Was quite boomy but flowed well.

On my 1UZ Soarer I ran dual 2.25 pipes with an X pipe at the front with twin magna flows. Sounded and looked and went well.

Surf was a compromise but a lot of stuff on a conversion is never perfect.

Go as big as you can at the collectors.

Matt

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:19 am

I think I could probably squeeze twin 3inch in, all the way through, but concerned itd be too big?or even too 2.5?

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:16 am

Don't go too big.. as it'll have a negative effect.. I went 2.25 from memory collected very early from the headers.. then now I am 3" as forced induction required me to do it that way.. as the 2.5"was too small .
The benefit of going 3" now is it's keeping my engine a lot cooler as the gas's are getting out faster.. research is your friend for getting it right.. as I have spent a lot of time and energy ( making a system)ended up just wasting my time.. :lol:

ChurchurDan
Hard Yaka

Postby ChurchurDan » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:18 am

Twin 2.5 would work well twin 3 might be a bit much.
2.5 pipe is also so much easier to fit 3 inch pipe needs a lot more room for bends to go over the diff.

tweake
Hard Yaka

Postby tweake » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:02 am

with turbo's, as big as you can fit in there.

shortylux
Hard Yaka

Postby shortylux » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:21 pm

I have heard that with forced induction on a lexus 2.5 can still be limiting. Mine will be 2 of 2.5 into single 3. Couldn't fit anything bigger.

ChurchurDan
Hard Yaka

Postby ChurchurDan » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:07 pm

Why not twin 2.5 or 3inch and put stacks up behind the cab. Not diff clearance issues then 8)

ChurchurDan
Hard Yaka

Postby ChurchurDan » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:11 pm

:oops: Just had a look at your thread and realised your building a surf not a hilux, Maybe lake pipes then?

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:49 pm

ChurchurDan wrote:Why not twin 2.5 or 3inch and put stacks up behind the cab. Not diff clearance issues then 8)

cause thats a bit too redneck for even me.....
cheers guys im thinking twin 2.5 will be the go.

jonossiksilvia
Hard Yaka

Postby jonossiksilvia » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:47 pm

i had plenty of room for twin 2.5 system in surf
Current 4wd: Surf Kzn185 ssrg factory Intercooled (yet to start build)
Past 4wd: toyota surf ln130, coil sas, 1uz v8 build

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:48 pm

ChurchurDan wrote::oops: lake pipes then?

Hell yea.. red neck styles :lol: :mrgreen:

Madaz
Hard Yaka

Postby Madaz » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:02 pm

I have twin 2.5" on mine with a crossover pipe, when it was on the dyon last time it was pointed out that it was choking at the top end. If i had the room id be going to 3"

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Postby DEATH_INC » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:48 pm

tweake wrote:with turbo's, as big as you can fit in there.

What this guy says. Turbo's like zero backpressure.

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:51 pm

Madaz wrote:I have twin 2.5" on mine with a crossover pipe, when it was on the dyon last time it was pointed out that it was choking at the top end. If i had the room id be going to 3"

ah I see.real world exp, guess that answers my question then!

cheers

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:43 pm

3 inch? off four cylinders ...think about that for a second.

you know all those honda civic's and riced up hatchbacks you see with 3 inch exhaust's.....

I can under stand 3 inch on a single turbo six cylinder but three inches off either side of a 4 litre v8 which is effectively 2 litres per turbo charger.
There ain't enough gas flow to warrant it.

Even a GTR skyline doesn't need 3 inch exhaust's to make the axle snapping power expected from a twin turbo.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:47 pm

skidmark wrote:
ChurchurDan wrote:Why not twin 2.5 or 3inch and put stacks up behind the cab. Not diff clearance issues then 8)

cause thats a bit too redneck for even me.....
cheers guys im thinking twin 2.5 will be the go.

What's wrong with rednek styles? 2 million americans cant be wrong... :mrgreen:

shortylux
Hard Yaka

Postby shortylux » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:13 pm

Madaz wrote:I have twin 2.5" on mine with a crossover pipe, when it was on the dyon last time it was pointed out that it was choking at the top end. If i had the room id be going to 3"

Crash bandicoot wrote:3 inch? off four cylinders ...think about that for a second.

I can under stand 3 inch on a single turbo six cylinder but three inches off either side of a 4 litre v8 which is effectively 2 litres per turbo charger.

Even a GTR skyline doesn't need 3 inch exhaust's to make the axle snapping power expected from a twin turbo.

I would tend to agree with you Crash, but the dyno man says you are wrong. Maybe there are other things coming into play on the GTR?

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:54 pm

shortylux wrote:

Crash bandicoot wrote:3 inch? off four cylinders ...think about that for a second.

I would tend to agree with you Crash, but the dyno man says you are wrong. Maybe there are other things coming into play on the GTR?

True, the only factors I could see coming into play would be crank shaft mass and manifold design, but that would only really alter the torque curve.

4WDbits
Hard Yaka

Postby 4WDbits » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:18 pm

We just changed from twin 2.5s to twin 3s. With no other changes the result was a descent increase in mid range torque.

Madaz
Hard Yaka

Postby Madaz » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:38 pm

you know all those honda civic's and riced up hatchbacks you see with 3 inch exhaust's.....

Show me a worked GTR thats running a 2.5" exhaust???

4WDbits
Hard Yaka

Postby 4WDbits » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:13 am

Madaz wrote:

I spied a worked GTR last week, straight 4 inch exhaust.

QUADRACER
Hard Yaka

Postby QUADRACER » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:54 am

I changed to a 3 inch system and also noticed a different.
retired 4wd to a ford ranger and UTV

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:39 pm

yea plenty of 2l subarus/evos with 3inch exhausts..so makes sense.Anyway Ive heard enough to go 3inch.chur

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:41 pm

Madaz wrote:

exactly the point... you dont need to work a RB26dett to get good power. mine is 320 bhp @6800rpm at the wheels with the factory setup. just tickled the fuel pressure timing and boost. I am happy with that, it's enough to destroy axles and diffs which it has done in the past.

working/ turbo charging a motor like that for the purpose of revving the shit out of it in a mud hole...is well stupid.

You are just asking to melt pistons trying to keep a big engine like that on the powerband when you need artistic driving skills and feathering the throttle to maneuver through tight spots..the poor computers going to be going too much fuel/not enough fuel/too much fuel/ not enough fuel...engine's like these were made as tarmac specials. your better of throwing your money at a big diesel. It'll last longer.

you want proof ask the owners of the big money trucks that had to limp out of the army grounds last year. too much money not enough sense.

shortylux
Hard Yaka

Postby shortylux » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:24 pm

Crash bandicoot wrote:
Madaz wrote:
Crash bandicoot wrote:Even a GTR skyline doesn't need 3 inch exhaust's to make the axle snapping power expected from a twin turbo.

exactly the point... you dont need to work a RB26dett to get good power. mine is 320 bhp @6800rpm at the wheels with the factory setup. just tickled the fuel pressure timing and boost. I am happy with that, it's enough to destroy axles and diffs which it has done in the past.

working/ turbo charging a motor like that for the purpose of revving the shit out of it in a mud hole...is well stupid.

You are just asking to melt pistons trying to keep a big engine like that on the powerband when you need artistic driving skills and feathering the throttle to maneuver through tight spots..the poor computers going to be going too much fuel/not enough fuel/too much fuel/ not enough fuel...engine's like these were made as tarmac specials. your better of throwing your money at a big diesel. It'll last longer.

you want proof ask the owners of the big money trucks that had to limp out of the army grounds last year. too much money not enough sense.

I'm not sure what you are getting at here Crash. I think everyone who has commented with you would agree that a thoroughly worked high strung motor is not the best thing for an off roader.

What we are discussing is weather or not a 2.25 , 2.5 or 3 inch etc exhaust would be good for Skidmarks twin turbo lexus. The consensus from people with firsthand experience seems to be that there is a tangible advantage in going for at least 3 inch.

In the scheme of things, a force feed lexus is not necessarily an expensive high strung motor. Plenty of them in offroad trucks working reliably. So I think Skidmark is on the right track.

Not having a go at you Crash and I hope it doesn't sound that way. Just saying I think we got off track. I can see form other threads that you have experience and seem to be pretty clued up on the tuning/performance side of things.

Madaz
Hard Yaka

Postby Madaz » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:46 pm

Better off with a diesel??? Wtf???
Thougth this was a thread about the best sized exhaust in a forced inductioned 1uz???

cornflake
Hard Yaka

Postby cornflake » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:04 pm

all depends really on how big these turbos are

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:39 pm

cornflake wrote:all depends really on how big these turbos are

only td04's ie standard wrx ones.but 3inch bends have been brought so there going in!

cornflake
Hard Yaka

Postby cornflake » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:57 pm

skidmark wrote:
cornflake wrote:all depends really on how big these turbos are

only td04's ie standard wrx ones.but 3inch bends have been brought so there going in!

yip should be good for power and stuff

Return to “Petrol Engines and Modifications”