Excise duty: Who can get refunds and how

Bubba
Hard Yaka

Excise duty: Who can get refunds and how

Postby Bubba » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:02 am

I came accross a NZ web site the other day advertising that they could get your petrol tax refunded, mainly for quads, petrol farm machinery etc but also for off-road vehicles. it got me thinking....

This may have been discussed some time ago on here but it's not something you hear much about.

It's not applicable to me but an interesting subject and I would be interested to hear other peoples views on it. Do you do it, is it worth it, what are the tricks, I'm sure there are some

Here is the NZTA link as well;

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/facts ... -duty.html
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Tonkatoy.
Hard Yaka

Re: Excise duty: Who can get refunds and how

Postby Tonkatoy. » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:25 am

Bubba wrote:I came accross a NZ web site the other day advertising that they could get your petrol tax refunded, mainly for quads, petrol farm machinery etc but also for off-road vehicles. it got me thinking....

This may have been discussed some time ago on here but it's not something you hear much about.

It's not applicable to me but an interesting subject and I would be interested to hear other peoples views on it. Do you do it, is it worth it, what are the tricks, I'm sure there are some

Here is the NZTA link as well;

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/facts ... -duty.html

Interesting - but how would they know if you were on road or off road - I guess you'd have to keep a logbook but they aren't that reliable either?
If there's no Blood it ain't Hurt
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport
OIIIIO

klompy
Hard Yaka

Postby klompy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:44 pm

I'm not 100 percent on how it works but the local Bush Contractors have a GPS monitor fitted to all there road vehicles so they dont pay RUCS for any k's on private roads,I dont now how the system works but it should apply to petrol vehicles as well.Some one will know more.
Last edited by klompy on Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChurchurDan
Hard Yaka

Postby ChurchurDan » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:58 pm

Most commercial operators that do off road work use E-Road for their RUC's. E-road stops recording kms when you get 3 meters off of a public road.
Before E-Road you had to record you off road km's with a gps to prove you were off road then claim them back off of NZTA.
Good luck claiming fuel tax back unless you can prove exactly how much fuel you used when not on the road.

Edit, I just read the link above. Basically it doesn't apply to any registered vehicle, it would be for petrol machinery that cant go on the road like a generator.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:18 am

ChurchurDan wrote:Most commercial operators that do off road work use E-Road for their RUC's. E-road stops recording kms when you get 3 meters off of a public road.
Before E-Road you had to record you off road km's with a gps to prove you were off road then claim them back off of NZTA.
Good luck claiming fuel tax back unless you can prove exactly how much fuel you used when not on the road.

Edit, I just read the link above. Basically it doesn't apply to any registered vehicle, it would be for petrol machinery that cant go on the road like a generator.

+1 you pay tax on fuel delivered to your farm or work site, not much use trying to claim back the tax as its an expense that you can right off in a business anyway.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

Return to “Petrol Engines and Modifications”