which sump to go with?

Ashohman
Hard Yaka

which sump to go with?

Postby Ashohman » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:49 pm

Im just trying to look at my options for sumps on my commy vt ecotec v6 motor do I go for a modified rear sump or a dry sump or a accusump system.

What have people got or used or seen?

slidenyo
Hard Yaka

Re: which sump to go with?

Postby slidenyo » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:36 pm

drysump is maintenance intensive and expensive,
modded rear sump with a windage tray and gates will work well but may be pricey also,
accusump will supply oil for a short period of time even if the trucks upside down allowing it to be shut down before damage occurs.
I'd be looking at the accusump for pure convenience and ease of fitment,
along with quick turnaround to be wheeling again
problems are only a problem if you not willing to learn how to find solutions

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:04 pm

How well will an accusump cope if you stick with a front sump set up?

I am imagining that if you were sitting for a bit with the front end up a steep bank waiting for the winch man, that you accusump might run out about the same time you want to start giving some loud pedal up the steep bank.

My VR hilux was modded to be rear sump. Initially it was to small and I ended up making it bigger. Was sweet as for bush and winch challenge. Motor died a horrible death when trying to off road race. So then sorted out some windage.
My current build is rear sump, and I plan to use an accusump as well.
Supercharged VH45 Surf safari winch truck in the making
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33527&hilit=checker%2A

muddy
Hard Yaka

Postby muddy » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:32 pm

I've managed to put together a budget dry-sump. Power-steering pump (with modified relief valve) mounted in the aircon slot as scavenger running to rear-mounted 10kg fire extinguisher as oil tank. Hardest part was getting the sump right and fitting the hydraulic hose inside the sump to connect the supply pump inlet through the sump to the rear oil tank. Works well though, and cost bugger all - plus a fair bit of time... And an engine when it ran dry before going the dry-sump route....

muddy
Hard Yaka

Postby muddy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:06 pm

Not the greatest photo - but you can see the bottom of the sump has been trimmed and a low-ish profile box welded on - initially I hoped it would be deep enough as it was all the room I had above the front axle /diff housing, But after running a bottom end bearing, you can now see the 2 tubes welded through the side of the sump. One is for the scavenger and is located central at the bottom of the sump and runs to the inlet side of the power-steering pump (next photo), which then runs to the top of the rear mounted inverted 10kg fire extinguisher oil tank. The feed line from the oil tank runs to the other sump tube which has a flexible hydraulic hose connecting it to the oil pump inlet where I just chopped the tube about 20mm long inside the sump. That was the really tricky bit cos it's a bastard to connect up and took a lot of trial & error to get the hose the right length with no kinks, and working in a small gap to tighten the jubilee clips.
Power steering pump mounted in custom bracket to fit where the air-con pump belongs. The outlet constant-flow bypass needs to be modified so you get increased flow with engine revs otherwise it won't keep up with the supply pump at higher revs.
Supply line from the bottom, and two tubes welded in near the top - one for the return line, and one for the breather which needs to be a decent size as the scavenger sucks a fair bit of air - otherwise it wouldn't be keeping ahead of the supply pump... I've run a long flxible hose well across both sides and a loop below the bottom of the tank so it wont drain the oil if the truck has a wee lie-down...
Total cost was about $40 for the tube to& from the rear oil tank, and another $40 for the flexy hydraulic hose. But I had a spare power steering pump, old fire extinguisher , etc laying around, and a generous mate with an engineering workshop. And it took a LOT of time to get right...

NOBDY
Bush Crasher

Postby NOBDY » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:56 am

sump in place2.JPG
front tower brace engine.JPG

Try a modified sump? drop in a lower pick up point and at the same time increase the overall width - this means extra oil in the system, plus when you are on a decent lean, the pick up is still in the oil. Then for added insurance, use an accusump. Best deal for the sump was from states (I'd need to look up where from , but most prices the same) from states it was around $400, with all the valves, plumbing etc. NZ price was $400 for just the reservoir. Best thing with accusump, you can build oil pressure in engine, before starting, and if you use the electric solenoids to control it, it's idiot proof - which is always good.
Attachments
sump2.JPG

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:50 pm

^^^^^^ So much room in that engine bay. Jealous as bro.
Supercharged VH45 Surf safari winch truck in the making
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33527&hilit=checker%2A

Return to “Petrol Engines and Modifications”