Dodgy Distributor

Eddie Auckland
Driver/Navigator

Dodgy Distributor

Postby Eddie Auckland » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:36 am

Just recently, the distributor has started playing "not nicely" with moisture. Now I know they generally don't, but now even the smallest little splash requires a liberal application of WD40 to get it back to life! Happened twice on the weekend, once in a bog, and given I have a PTO winch, bit of a bugger to get out!! Was a muddy wade and a great tale!! :D

Question, what do you reckon? Is there some sort of silicone sealer like those boy racers use on their mags to paint them black? Leads deteriorating? I am just not sure where to start!

Cheers y'all!

mercutio
Hard Yaka

Re: Dodgy Distributor

Postby mercutio » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:54 am

What condition is the cap in is it possible the cap has an invisible crack in it mercedes caps do that on occasion you spend ages chasing it the first time
my 4wd is not a truck

old mercedes never die but sometimes they do need some love

older cars are good,mercedes are better,older mercedes are the best

QUADRACER
Hard Yaka

Postby QUADRACER » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:04 am

crc soft seal, goes on as a liquid and dries as a thick film.
found it worked well on winch truck.
retired 4wd to a ford ranger and UTV

churchill
Hard Yaka

Postby churchill » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:28 am

Had a similar problem on a 2F, turned out to be a dodgy coil lead who's insulation had broken down and would arc to the body when wet. Replaced it and all was well.

Eddie Auckland
Driver/Navigator

Postby Eddie Auckland » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:22 pm

Thanks folks, will check coil lead first (as it dies, doesn't run on 5 cylinders) then CRC the cr@p out of it!!

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:22 pm

Dielectric grease around the lead boots, and where the wires go into the boots if they aren't a tight/glued on fit, also where any breaker or timing module wires go into the dizzy body. Check the O ring or gasket where the cap seats on the dizzy, often missing or factory decided it didn't need one. Some dizzy caps can have the breather extended too if it has one.
Dielectric grease is that white goop you often find inside waterproof automotive plugs, super cheap sell little sachets for like 2bux, but an electrical place probably has larger quantities at a better price
-------------------------------------------------
Newly brought currently bog standard Discovery V8i with a drinking problem :lol:

Return to “Petrol Engines and Modifications”