Carburetor Help please!

RobLucking
Bush Crasher

Carburetor Help please!

Postby RobLucking » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:13 pm

Hi Guys,

I have an aussie new GQ Patrol witht he RB30s which is carbie.

I have looked into going the route of feul injection, but ideally would like to find a fix without having to do that as my 4x4 is one of many toys and am on a budget.

Issue:
*Car will stall on steep incline
I dont know a lot about carbies. I believe it is flooding the float bowl, will stall and need to egt it back on flat ground and allow to dry out before starting again

There is a very strong smell of petrol when this happens so its as if it has flooded, but at the same time it almost sounds like it has starved itself?

Solution??????

So I have done some reading, but the only feedback I can find for these trucks is from australia, where they either inject it or do an LPG install. over there its almost free to go LPG but not the same here.

I have had some people tell me about trying the following, would love to hear some feedback from people that have done/tried these. I know its different but surely with the amount of trucks running 350 chevs people must have some feedback.

*Fit a fuel pressure regulator in line?

*Adjust float bowl level/lower?

*Fit baffle plates into float bowl?

any help would be much appreciated!

derk
Hard Yaka

Re: Carburetor Help please!

Postby derk » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:00 pm

dunno what sort of carbies they put on those things but the old hollys that went on the 350's ran a lot better with a return to tank line "T" ed off the carbie to send excess fuel back to the tank, the return to tank side of the "T" needs a reducer so "ALL" the fuel dosent head back around to the tank instead of the float bowl :D that stops/reduces the fuel pump force feeding and flooding the carb when its on an angle and the needle valve wide open and no where else for all the fuel to go :D when you flood it on an angle the way to restart the engine is to hold your foot hard on the gas (just keep your foot hard on the gas don't pump it :x ) and wind the engine over on the key continuously with the throttle wide open until it starts coughing and starts (and hold the starter on until it starts don't keep turning it on and off) :D and at the end of the day a carbies a carbie they were never made for running on angles :D and make sure your truck isn't running a high pressure efi fuel pump by some remote chance you never know what some of those mad aussies are capable of :D

RobLucking
Bush Crasher

Postby RobLucking » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:22 am

Cheers for that,

I only half understand what your getting at with the T line etc. will have to take a look at it for it to make proper sense I think.

hopefully it will all help

kiwicruza
Driver/Navigator

Postby kiwicruza » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:21 am

Hi. Not sure of your setup, but I run a carby Toyota 4k engine in a Suzuki SJ410, and had similar issues. They are set up with the float chamber of the carby at the front, and I had trouble with it overfuelling on uphill climbs as the fuel in the float chamber would slosh out through the pipes that bring air into the float chamber, and that fuel would then run straight down the carb barrel. Solved it by extending those pipes with some fuel hose so that they stuck up higher and so it took a bigger angle to get the fuel to slosh out.

As mentioned above, carbs certainly have their limitations on slopes, but with some playing around you can often get them performing a bit better.

Cheers.

RobLucking
Bush Crasher

Postby RobLucking » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:06 am

all good food for thought, I really need to rip mine off and take a look at it, this would almost be the first Carb'd engine I have owned so need to look at it to start getting my head around the mechanics of it all!

Cheers for the advice though, hopefully I can make something work

Return to “Petrol Engines and Modifications”