Daihatsu having starting issues.

Daggers
Driver/Navigator

Daihatsu having starting issues.

Postby Daggers » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:04 am

Morning gents,

My Daihatsu Feroza (1.6L EFI petrol engine) has been having some issues starting last night/this morning.
I turn the ignition and the starter motor is cranking, but the engine won't fire and start.

I managed to get it started last night after about 5/6 tries and when I did get it started, it was only by putting my foot to the floor on the accelerator and cranking it over. When it was running it was idling VERY rough. For the first quarter of an hour I drove it it ran like crap, then it was back to running like normal. Parked it and restarted it and it ran no problems.

This morning I tired again just to check and it was doing the same thing again.

Any idea what might be causing this? Spark plugs? Fuel filter?

Regards,

Seth.

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Re: Daihatsu having starting issues.

Postby 3VILC » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:37 am

Not familiar with that engine. But temp sensor, causing it to think coolant is very cold, wouldn't normally cause a total no start tho. Throttle position or? On those older systems the only one that usually results in a no start is the crank angle sensor, probably part of the distributor if it has one. Idle air valve broken/stuck/blocked? Fuel filter clogged or pump decided its had enough of pumping fuel?
Start with the old fashioned check if its getting fuel and spark, might narrow it down, most of those older efi systems are pretty basic.
Any way to check for fault codes on those?
-------------------------------------------------
Newly brought currently bog standard Discovery V8i with a drinking problem :lol:

Return to “Petrol Engines and Modifications”