Surge Tank Carb to EFI

nakimud
Hard Yaka

Surge Tank Carb to EFI

Postby nakimud » Wed May 13, 2015 7:23 pm

Hi, Converting a GQ Patrol from carb'd RB30 to EFI turb, Whats your thoughts on having the low pressure intank pump feeding a surge tank of about 2 litres located near the firewall? Low pressure pump delivers 1.8 litres a minute and 2-3PSI deadheaded. Was just planning on using a walbro or bosch from surge. Any thoughts? cheers

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Re: Surge Tank Carb to EFI

Postby Mattman » Wed May 13, 2015 7:54 pm

Most factory setups just use an in tank setup. I used a v6 efi tank and pump on my v8 surf conversion.

If you are running stock power then a stock fuel system should be fine.

nakimud
Hard Yaka

Postby nakimud » Wed May 13, 2015 9:06 pm

I was hoping to eliminate the need to baffle the tank and run new HP lines... Finding an EFI tank for a GQ is proving hard

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Wed May 13, 2015 9:08 pm

Well in that case a lift pump and swirl pot makes sense.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Wed May 13, 2015 9:15 pm

The VL commodore with the RB30et or 5Lv8 ran an inline pump.
When we repowered my hilux with a RB30dett we used a single inline EFI pump and the orginal hilux tank(was diesel) with no issues.

you will have to change all the hoses over though, but is the norm when converting a fuel system that is usually under vacuum to positive pressure.

was a few years ago but we went the next size up from factory which took the internal size up to 13mm for the turbo engine.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

nakimud
Hard Yaka

Postby nakimud » Wed May 13, 2015 9:28 pm

Wow RB30Dett Hilux! Thanks guys, Crash did you just use a low pressure lift pump feeding into an EFI pump, with no surge problems?

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Wed May 13, 2015 9:37 pm

I found the fuel lines between the diesel and petrol to be the same size so ran with stock diesel lines.

My conversion originally had a Bosch inline mounted in the engine bay with No surge tank. I had issues with it starving.

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Wed May 13, 2015 10:02 pm

a lot of external efi pump setups get away without a surge tank but probably not with a flat bottom gq tank unless you don't let it get under 1/2 full :D keep your surge tank a close to the main tank as you can get it, also keep the external high pressure pump as close to the surge tank as you can get it they are push pumps not pull pumps, bnt sell 3/8 efi fuel line pretty cheap so don't get too worried about a huge cost of running new fuel lines, if your going to use a bosh 044 pump do lots of research before you buy theres plenty of copies out there, probably all made in the same Czech factory as the bosch ones and seem to perform fine I used to use one for a while but copies none the less :D and make sure your gq fuel tank vents properly and dosent pressurise or vacuum with the additional fuel circulating it can cause fuel cavitation problems :D

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Wed May 13, 2015 10:28 pm

nakimud wrote:Wow RB30Dett Hilux! Thanks guys, Crash did you just use a low pressure lift pump feeding into an EFI pump, with no surge problems?

No Lift pump and No surge tank, the Pump I used was a walbro was good for 150 odd psi/ 250L an hour anyway.(was a big unit)

the pump sat out side the tank but at the same level as the bottom of the tank on the chassi rail so the pump had fuel in it all the time, the pipe from the tank was 18mm and as above 13mm from pump to fuel rail.

The engine was a Original Autech Rb26dett with a spun bearing (usual oil pump failures) I had rebuilt previously with a 30block and single turbo for midrange/high power,(hopeless of boost you could run faster. lol) was a targa race car which got totalled so i brought the whole car as a wreck just for the engine and fitted the factory twin turbo set up back onto it. used to rev out to 9300rpm in it's race form but after the wreck it would never go over 7000 rpm, never did figure out what caused it but still started and ran fine so shoved it in the engine bay of a LN56.(just)

here's an old pic of it pre wreck.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Sat May 16, 2015 1:47 pm

I havent seen the top of a GQ tank, but the V6 suzuki intank pumps are physically quite tiny, I managed to squeeze one into a carby hilux tank with the original pickup/returns modified to hold the pump. Only about 38mm diameter from memory. Just another idea
-------------------------------------------------
Newly brought currently bog standard Discovery V8i with a drinking problem :lol:

nakimud
Hard Yaka

Postby nakimud » Sat May 16, 2015 8:45 pm

I think I may have tracked down a GQ TB42 Injected tank complete with pump. One would assume it has at least some sort of baffling built in right?

ChurchurDan
Hard Yaka

Postby ChurchurDan » Sun May 17, 2015 2:54 pm

I assume it would have baffles. The other setup I have seen in a carb to EFI conversion is using a low pressure lift pump at the tank pumping to a surge tank and high pressure pump in the engine bay.

nakimud
Hard Yaka

Postby nakimud » Tue May 19, 2015 10:17 pm

TB42E intank pump bolts straight in to the RB30 Carb tank. They both have the same baffle tray that the pump sits down inside tank, so Il give this a go. Factory pressure looks to be around 42psi on the TB42E pump. Sure if it can keep up with a TB's appetite it'll keep up with a mere RB :twisted:

Return to “Petrol Engines and Modifications”