Air filter options for a V8 110 Landy

Wired1
Stropper

Air filter options for a V8 110 Landy

Postby Wired1 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:17 pm

Before I shell out for a new air filter - currently the standard barrel size one at that back of the engine bay - I'm open to suggestions of better performing Air filter options.
It's a carburetted 3.5 litre Rover V8 in a 110 Defender.
Attachments
V8 Landy 070.JPG

derk
Hard Yaka

Re: Air filter options for a V8 110 Landy

Postby derk » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:46 pm

the purpose of an air filter is to filter abrasive particles that cause accelerated wear on an engine so a better performing aircleaner will be one that has additional or multi layered filters or a pre filter, if your thinking of a freer flowing filter that gives an additional 0.5hp of performance it will have lesser filtration capability, There should be nothing wrong with a standard paper filter so long as its in good condition and gets serviced and replaced as needed :D

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:07 pm

.....and its a Land Rover 110, not a Defender :D :D :D :D
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:42 pm

Pretty sure the standard setup has some consideration for tuned intake design. There is a baffle plate in the center of the air box to try get even vacuum to both carbs due to the odd firing order and the long intake runner from the air box to the carb improves low down performance.

I would aim to get a setup which allows the original filters to remain cleaner for longer. Snorkel pre-filter? Does the rocker cover breather go to a point that is pre-filter causing the filters to clog with oil residue? If so you could remove and put into an oil catch tank with separate breather.

What might be good would be a washable type so you can keep filters clean.

Return to “Petrol Engines and Modifications”