Exhaust Manifold Replacement VP Commie V8

suzolla
Hard Yaka

Exhaust Manifold Replacement VP Commie V8

Postby suzolla » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:12 pm

Hi,
After some advice / info

Need to replace the manifolds on the VP Commie V8 that are in my Zuk, both are currently cast ones and cracked hence the replacement.

Firstly, is there any performance requirement to have both sides connected either by being 2 into 1 or by having some sort of cross over pipe.

Secondly, after having a quick look seems that headers are pretty expensive in NZ compared to the prices for headers in the USA. Does anyone know if there are headers that are for a US GM engine that will also fit an Aussie Commodore VP V8

Cheers
Tim

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Re: Exhaust Manifold Replacement VP Commie V8

Postby Crash bandicoot » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:29 pm

All our club trucks have no balance pipe. Sounds a bit deceiving to the ears when sitting in them as the sound a bit odd after hearing normal v8s. Most american drag cars whether it be a top fuel or street stock just run headers/ collectors n either side with no cross over. No I'll effect. I'd probably look at running a split flange with separate header pipes down to the collector in an off road environment where excessive knocks bangs and bumps would create flex issues with the headers. Also bolt them to the gearbox as far back as possible before deviating to vent out side the line of the vehicle
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Re: Exhaust Manifold Replacement VP Commie V8

Postby mudlva » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:59 pm

Comes down to available room etc.

My mate pete who manufactures and fits custom exhaust normally connects the right headers together by running a connector pipe under the motor to the left bank then out towards the rear from there.
Its two fold reasons.
One it get the pipe awsy from the front d.s.
Two it ties both sides together which makes them both a lot stronger and able to handle the bashing and rocking that 4bys generate.

That said if customer wants and room allows he will do seperate side systems. But as said above you eill need to tue them in real tight otherwise movement will tear the head mounts apart.

The old thoughts of connector pipes just because are okd school and performance was not required. That said it also helps tie the two sides together and again helping share the load on the head bolts

Return to “Petrol Engines and Modifications”