Rugger T/case stuck in 4WD--- FIXED IT!

Marco Polo
Hard Yaka

Rugger T/case stuck in 4WD--- FIXED IT!

Postby Marco Polo » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:05 pm

I just replaced the clutch in my Rugger (S**t that gearbox is heavy) All went according to plan, but I was testing the 4wd etc and it worked, but when I shifted back to 2H, the 4WD light stayed on and I went under the truck to confirm and sure enough it is in 4WD. When I switch it I can hear the solenoid click and I have vacuum to the solenoid valve on the T case, when I switch 4H off, the solenoid behind the dash clicks again and behold, no vacuum to the T-case. Seems I got the hoses right, but she's firmly stuck in 4WD.
I can still drive it because it has manual hubs, but I have limited experience with electro-vacuum 4wd bizzo. Any thoughts?
Last edited by Marco Polo on Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How hard can it be?

Mudde1
Hard Yaka

Re: Rugger T/case stuck in 4WD

Postby Mudde1 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:17 pm

Marco Polo wrote:I just replaced the clutch in my Rugger (S**t that gearbox is heavy) All went according to plan, but I was testing the 4wd etc and it worked, but when I shifted back to 2H, the 4WD light stayed on and I went under the truck to confirm and sure enough it is in 4WD. When I switch it I can hear the solenoid click and I have vacuum to the solenoid valve on the T case, when I switch 4H off, the solenoid behind the dash clicks again and behold, no vacuum to the T-case. Seems I got the hoses right, but she's firmly stuck in 4WD.
I can still drive it because it has manual hubs, but I have limited experience with electro-vacuum 4wd bizzo. Any thoughts?

Try jacking up one front wheel and one rear wheel then put it in 2wd.
Tony.

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:44 pm

imho you have transfur box wind up
select reverse and move back 5+mtrs
you will hear the bow pop as front drive disengages

if still no joy give the clutch a "little" dump as this will help move the "dogs" on the sliding yoke
dont be to bruttle oh and you will actually need to have the hubs in to make this work, as odd as it may sound

let us know the results

Marco Polo
Hard Yaka

Postby Marco Polo » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:05 pm

All of the above failed. On my way to work today, after 20km, going around a corner, the light went out. When I got home, I pressed the button again, went into 4wd but won't come out! It's never done this before. In/out of 4wd has always been instant.
To add insult to injury, when I was doing the clutch, the slip yoke came apart and there were no aligning marks (amateur mistake) now I have to put up with hideous vibration at 45 and 80 km/h...
How hard can it be?

Marco Polo
Hard Yaka

Postby Marco Polo » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:14 am

So, I've found a repeatable way to get out of 4wd. Accelerate as hard as possible in 1st and at 11psi boost and 3000rpm out she comes. Not very practical in most situations but at least I can drive to work safely. I'm keen to get to the bottom of the problem though, trouble is I can't find a workshop manual covering the vacuum/electric transfer case. On my old Isuzu, the front axle actuator had two vacuum lines, one for engaging and the other for disengaging. The rugger transfer case actuator only has one vacuum line. Does it work against a spring of something?

Oh, after much cleaning, I found the alignment marks for the rear driveshaft. Smoothness (a relative term I suppose) has been restored.
How hard can it be?

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:05 pm

This is the factory manual.
http://www.bmhor.org/fourtrak/manual.htm
And a thread about 4wd problems.
http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php?t=69223

Marco Polo
Hard Yaka

Postby Marco Polo » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:06 pm

zukmeista wrote:This is the factory manual.
http://www.bmhor.org/fourtrak/manual.htm
And a thread about 4wd problems.
http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php?t=69223

Cheers, I have the same PDF manual, it doesn't have any info on the vacuum solenoids etc. Mine's an IFS F73 model.
How hard can it be?

Marco Polo
Hard Yaka

Postby Marco Polo » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:23 pm

OK, 4wd issue sorted! Of course the vacuum servo has a release side. I just couldn't see it properly when the box is in the truck. The hose had popped off! I found a beaut diagram of the whole electrical and vacuum setup so all good.
HOWEVER.....as I was rolling round under the gearbox, I noticed engine oil dripping from the bellhousing weep hole. Sooo, I have spent my new years afternoon pulling the gearbox out again! The brand new crank seal is leaking like mad. Now I'm mad, and its two days til the shops open again and another to get a seal sent down from Auckland.. I don't know why its leaking, I don't think it's anything I've done. I've done a few crank and cam seals and never had one leak straight away.
How hard can it be?

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Re: Rugger T/case stuck in 4WD--- FIXED IT!

Postby zukmeista » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:03 pm

I had the same problem with my front crank seal, it was the wrong size so grab some verniers and measure the seal surfaces to make sure it's the right size.

Marco Polo
Hard Yaka

Postby Marco Polo » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:49 am

New seal is in. The seal was the correct one. It has no obvious defects except where I prised it out. The crank is not marred where the seal runs. New seal is in and the box is back on (did it without helper this time, not easy!!) I'll hopefully finish hooking it all back up today, and fingers crossed it'll be OK!
How hard can it be?

Mudde1
Hard Yaka

Postby Mudde1 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:06 am

Check that the seal was for the correct direction of rotation. Some oil seals are designed to seal in one direction of rotation only and if you have one with the incorrect direction it will work more like a pump rather than a seal. i know this because I once put 2 new seals in the rear of a gear box and both leaked. I then discovered that the seal i was being supplied was for the front of a cam shaft. it was the correct size but because of the incorrect rotation direction it leaked like crazy. Change of seal to one with a different suffix number fixed the problem instantly.
Tony.

Marco Polo
Hard Yaka

Postby Marco Polo » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:55 pm

Thanks for the tip. I checked the seal was rotationally correct and it is. Finished up this afternoon and test driven, all good. Just need a WOF now and keep an eye on the weep hole for leaks.
How hard can it be?

Return to “Daihatsu”