Trouble getting into 4WD?

Browny
Winch master

Trouble getting into 4WD?

Postby Browny » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:53 pm

Hey,
Ive recently had some issues with the rugger not going into 4wd. being not very mechanical / sparkyish I don't really know what to check...
first time it came up I was up in woodhill, travelling along the forestry road there was suddenly a bit of a rattle from underneath, bit of stop and go later it had gone, but next hill only the back wheels were driving. Crawling underneath I was able to spin the prop shaft going to the front diff a bit until it kind of clicked in and then we were good as gold for the rest of the day.
A week later I took it in the back yard to my ramps to waterblast underneath and just ended up digging holes in the grass, again wouldn't go in. I tried spinning the shaft again but no good this time. But after leaving the button in during the drive to work, when I came to go home and backing out of the car park it again went clonk and 4wd worked fine.

Any tips on what to check / how to fix? thanks heaps

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Re: Trouble getting into 4WD?

Postby zukmeista » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:40 am

Does it have auto or manual locking hubs? And is it push button 4wd?

Browny
Winch master

Postby Browny » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:49 pm

auto hubs. and has the push button on the dash, or goes in (used to!) straight away if selecting the low ratio box.

93beachbasher
Driver/Navigator

Postby 93beachbasher » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:12 pm

have you checked to see if the front shaft spins when driving in 4x4 that could eliminate some stuff

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:22 pm

Sounds like the hubs are at fault. Get some manual hubs on the front, the auto ones are known for giving trouble. Put it in 2wd and get under and turn the front driveshaft, it should turn slightly and then the hubs should lock in and it won't turn any more. If you don't use it on road much it is possible to weld the hubs in the locked position. If it's a solid axle I may be able to help you out with some manual hubs.

Marco Polo
Hard Yaka

Postby Marco Polo » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:24 am

Does the 4wd light on the dash come on when you push the button? If it does, it's almost certainly the hubs. The 4wd light can't come on if the transfer box is not physically in 4wd.
How hard can it be?

Browny
Winch master

Postby Browny » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:40 pm

thanks fullas. how much am I looking at to change to manual hubs? I literally have no spare cash (two babies are sucking me dry).
The 4wd light on the button has never worked - the actual bulb is fine something else must be cocked - I tried looking for a line/switch on the front gearbox and transfer case (made an assumption that's where the signal came from) but wasn't really sure what to look for?
I crawled under and could turn the driveshaft a bit before it would lock in place eventually. Im just stuck.
To be honest, financially I might be having to look at selling but would rather pass it on in proper working order.
Sorry I don't know what to look for to see if its got a solid axle, but I do a bit of normal driving around town and the highways, definitely not a dedicated offroad truck. I wish!

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:09 am

Ok it sounds like the auto hubs are working but could be a one off might not work all the time. What year is it? Solid axle will look like this under the front. Where abouts are you, if you want to sell I could be keen. :D

churchill
Hard Yaka

Postby churchill » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:10 pm

Sounds like the transfer case isn't engaging 4wd if you can spin the front drive shaft.

Reading this link might help:

http://www.daihatsu-drivers.co.uk/node/14735

Browny
Winch master

Postby Browny » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:03 am

zukmeista wrote:Ok it sounds like the auto hubs are working but could be a one off might not work all the time. What year is it? Solid axle will look like this under the front. Where abouts are you, if you want to sell I could be keen. :D

cool thanks ill try and get under it today for a look. ive got dirty big dump guards underneath which cover most of everything. may see if can get a sparky mate to come round and check the switches/solonoids etc.
Zukmeista if your maybe keen, PM me. I head your way every now and then if it helps? Ive just got a job in town and cant afford to run the truck in and pay for parking everday so downgrading to a bike I reckon!

Browny
Winch master

Postby Browny » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:15 pm

truck sold :(
hope the new bloke likes it as much as I did

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:30 pm

2.8 Intercooled Turbo = :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Definitely puts a smile on one's dial, I can overtake other cars... Uphill!!! :shock: 8)

Return to “Daihatsu”