A couple of rocky problems

Boits

A couple of rocky problems

Postby Boits » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:49 pm

Hey guys I have a 91 dihatsu rocky 1.6l. It's had a couple of problems for a while now that I've put up with but thought I'd try fix them. I've searched around a bit but found nothing
Now for the problems

When driving at 100kmh sometimes the engine light comes on. It also does it going up hills. It stays on for about 10 seconds then turn off. It sometimes flashes if I go over a bump too.

The second problem is when I drive it if there's a gust of wind or if I go over a very slight dip in the road it feels like the thing is about to get thrown off the road. It's a battle to drive on the open road. It also veers to the right when accelerating and to the left when going off the throttle.

If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated!

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Re: A couple of rocky problems

Postby BlakeNZ » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:07 pm

From my experience(admittedly not with Daihatsu)your moving around under acceleration and deceleration will be one of two things. 1. Flogged out bushes in the rear end suspension(assuming you are in RWD) These won't always be easy to identify.
or 2. a broken or damaged engine mount.(possibly transmission mount can have the same result.)

the other issues sound like "bump steer", which can be caused by a number of issues, usually wear and tear , but this time in the FRONT end( think ball joints, bushes, tie rod ends, steering idler arms, tension rods etc.) Many bushes appear fine, or at least "OK" until you actually dismantle them, and then you see that they are totally shagged.

Boits

Re: A couple of rocky problems

Postby Boits » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:13 pm

Ok thanks mate I have replaced both ball joints for a Wof last week but I might pull a few other things apart and see if anything else is looking a bit tired under there.

Return to “Daihatsu”